Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Cask Days 2012 @ The Brick Works - Oct 27 & 28

Post details, reviews and recaps of interesting beer events in Ontario and elsewhere here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Overall I have to say that this was one of the best Cask Days experience yet. It wasn’t perfect but I had an amazing time and I thank the Morana’s and all the staff and volunteers for their hard work.

The idea of saving a pin for session 3 is a good one in theory but not very practical for a variety of reasons, the biggest one (I assume) is the amount of time, money, and effort it takes to get them in. That might be reasonable for some of the Ontario ones, but I can’t see it happening. I missed out on more than a couple I wanted to try even being at session one, and two. The same thing happens at Mondial every year, popular beers sell out early. A partial solution might have been for the out of province beers to cost more tokens to reflect the added cost, but then we would have people complaining about the cost. I thought the offer of compensation was quite generous actually. I doubt some other festivals would have done it.

It is unfortunate that the selection was a bit limited for session three, but that has always been the case at the previous venues despite their best efforts to hold some back. To be honest while I know I would have the same complaints if I were in that situation but I don’t have that much sympathy. I knew that was a risk, so I spent half an hour on my lunch break at work, smartphone in one hand, typing on the keyboard with the other to make sure I got Session 1 tickets, and then I bought Session 2 tickets after seeing the beer list! I planned my calendar around Cask Days for over a month, and bailed on a Halloween party to be able to do Session 2. I got there almost an hour early (would have been earlier if we hadn’t just missed a bus at Davisville!) and waited in line in the rain for Session 1. I almost bought Session 3 tickets and decided that might be excessive.

Pros:
- Aside from a few notably not great ones I thought the overall quality of the beer was very good, and steadily improving over the years.
- Surprises. Some of my favorites of the day were not ones I would have expected.
- Venue worked really well I thought. The rain put a bit of a damper on things for Session 1 but that just meant shorter lines out there! I was actually warmer than I was last year since I dressed more appropriately (long underwear for the win!). Personally I would show up if it was in a plain old arena/warehouse etc. but I think the Brick Works definitely made it unique, and helped it appeal to a broader crowd.
- Shuttle busses worked great! I took the Davisville bus in the morning and then the shuttle between sessions, and at the end of the night back to Broadview. The one at the end of the night was a bit louder ;)
- Food was great. The Hogtown Charcuterie pork sandwich was phenomenal, and a ton of my friends got one. I also quite enjoyed the pretzels. I thought they were all pretty reasonably priced considering a) the quality and b) being at an event.

Cons
- Beers running out/ getting switched off. Personally I would have got more of my “must tries” if they had just left them all available but obviously that wouldn’t have been great for non-session one goers.
- Bathrooms. Session 1 was fine I thought. The men’s room line got a bit silly during the middle of Session 2 though since one set of indoor washrooms was closed. I gather that that was a Brick Works decision not a Cask Days decision but it doesn’t make much sense.
- Dear Beck Taxi; Thank you for saving me a $30 cab ride home, the shuttle and TTC got me home nicely thanks. I had hoped to take a quick taxi ride up Bayview instead… but telling potential customers that you won’t send taxis because there are too many people that want a taxi is one of the dumbest things I have ever heard.
- I’m apparently too ugly to be in any of the pictures! :)

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

i have to say this was one of the least obnoxious beer crowds I've ever been in. Had more than a few conversations with complete strangers about beers that I tried, the food, their recommendations, beer vacations, sports, and what not. Had a fairly lenghty conversation with one couple about how Amsterdam has really picked up their game in the last couple years, and got a few recommendations for the Southern States (whenever I get down that way). Very little int he way of drunken frat mentality that I've seen hamper events in other places.

Best exchange I had all night was when I recommended the Black Oak chipolte schwarzbeer to someone that complained that he had a cold and was having a hard time tasting some of the beer. He had no trouble at all tasting that one! "I think I can hear other people's thoughts after drinking that one!"

Imbiber

Post by Imbiber »

northyorksammy wrote:What do other successful cask festivals do? i have sent a message to alex Hall who has organized several in the UK and the US
perhaps he can chime in
Well, that depends on the nature of the festival. At my UK one (86 casks) there are duplicates of what is thought to sell fastest. These sit on the floor on their bellies under the stillage and in other strategic locations in the wings. A decision is made at the end of day 2 to put selected replacements up for day 3, largely dependent on the total volume left as wastage needs to be kept at a minimum. What doesn't get used is sent back to the brewery for reinstating to inventory as per the arrangement.

At the smaller one I do in NYC (16 casks - 13 on gravity and 3 on the regular beer engines), all are tapped on the Friday and last however long. I have three back-ups to replace those on the pumps as soon as the last gravity cask has kicked. None of the gravity ones get replaced over the course of the weekend. So it really is first-come-first-served, which is apparent on the advertising material.

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

thanks Alex for your input.

JoeMcPhee

Post by JoeMcPhee »

northyorksammy wrote:What do other successful cask festivals do? i have sent a message to alex Hall who has organized several in the UK and the US
perhaps he can chime in
Same thing - when a pin kicks, it kicks. There are so many cask events in NYC right now, that it's never really an issue and people don't get so upset about it. Alex doesn't typically cap pours either - he just keeps turning the spigot until stuff runs out.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Friday the Firkenteenth has a big list of kegs and they put a bunch on until one runs out and then another one goes on. It makes it fun as you never know what's on or coming up but I can see that would be frustrating for people that want to try specific things.

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

perhaps he can chime in
First come, first serve. The festivals I went to in the UK operate this way. It's foolish to hold beers back; you're in the business to drain every single cask before the event is over.

Bugger: Didn't see Alex's reply above. Should have read the whole thread, D'Oh!!!!

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Well I think it should be possible to do something like a Cask for Saturday and a Pin for Sunday, and if the Pin doesn't need to get tapped, then it could be sent to a bar. Hopefully with a years experience with the venue and the crowd sizes, estimates can be made of how many samples/person are needed. I know they will need to lowball it in order to avoid losing money, for sure, but I do think they need to look at ways to be fair to the Sunday audience as well.
You are living in a dream world. Quite apart from the massive financial risk, where will these 120 pins materialize from?

Session 1 tickets were on sale for several weeks before finally selling out.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

All things aside, did anyone try the Alexander Keith's cask that was on? I was contemplating it, but something about using a token on anything with the Keith's name didn't sit right with me.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

sprague11 wrote:All things aside, did anyone try the Alexander Keith's cask that was on? I was contemplating it, but something about using a token on anything with the Keith's name didn't sit right with me.
I did - it wasn't bad - decent hop-presence, though a little "muddy" with the flavours, but quite flavourful, nontheless...I thought it tasted stronger than 6%.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Anyone know the story behind Kichessipi Dark that was on at Cask Days? Or the Cameron's Dark Secret? The latter didn't really taste like the 266 but I can't find any info on either of them online.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

JerCraigs wrote:Anyone know the story behind Kichessipi Dark that was on at Cask Days? Or the Cameron's Dark Secret? The latter didn't really taste like the 266 but I can't find any info on either of them online.
Bump. Bueller?