Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

KW Octoberfest

Post details, reviews and recaps of interesting beer events in Ontario and elsewhere here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

dale cannon

KW Octoberfest

Post by dale cannon »

Any KW folks know whether there are any craft beer focussed Octoberfest events, or Octoberfest events that will at least feature some decent beer planned in the area this weekend?
That's the way she goes. Sometimes she goes, sometimes it doesn't. She didn't go. That's the way she goes.

Kish84
Bar Fly

Post by Kish84 »

As far as I know, there is none at all. I believe all official events are sponsored by Molson or Labatts.

I think the only place that even has German beer is the Concordia Club, and that's only in their dining hall, not the banquet hall, or tent. However, they're pretty much sold out. When I went on Friday they said they had a few tickets left for the 10th.

ErkLR

Post by ErkLR »

I've never heard of a craft-focused event, maybe a smaller venue or a restaurant would have it. The only things I've ever seen at a large venue besides Molbatts (this won't be very helpful):

The Rec Complex had a couple of Creemore beers 2 years ago. I only drank the UrBock, I don't remember what else there was. They were from cans or bottles.

Bingeman-Marshall Hall used to do a cash bar with Brick products. It was at the end of the hall, separate from the Molson cups. Bottles or cans. I haven't been there in 3+ years though.

I think they had non-Molbatt at Queensmount last year... but for some reason my memory is fuzzy....

I would say the rule of thumb is, the larger the venue, the less likely they are to have interesting beer.

xocoatl

Post by xocoatl »

I have always thought that it would be awesome for Grand River, Wellington, and F&M to get together and run some tents or a hall somewhere. Brew some real german style beers, and some good entertainment, for those of us who would rather not go to the glorified university party they call octoberfest in KW.

ErkLR

Post by ErkLR »

I'd be all over that. Moreover, if they held it in Cambridge, you'd actually be able to get a hotel without booking 3 months in advance. They'd probably draw a lot of the crowd who are sick of the undergrad dance-club theme most places have. I know I've been questioning why I'm really going anymore.

dale cannon

Post by dale cannon »

ErkLR wrote:I'd be all over that. Moreover, if they held it in Cambridge, you'd actually be able to get a hotel without booking 3 months in advance. They'd probably draw a lot of the crowd who are sick of the undergrad dance-club theme most places have. I know I've been questioning why I'm really going anymore.
We used to head up from London when I was in school. Quart bottles of Blue, pretending to know how to polka dance, then hangover. I've been questioning why I ever went in the first place.

I'm visiting in-laws in Stratford this weekend for Thanksgiving, and I'm just trying to decide between a side excursion to K-W/Cambridge or London for some decent beer.
That's the way she goes. Sometimes she goes, sometimes it doesn't. She didn't go. That's the way she goes.

Kish84
Bar Fly

Post by Kish84 »

Well Imbibe just opened this week and is looking promising. I haven't been yet (while opened), but will most likely be going tomorrow. 6-7 craft beers on tap. Not sure if they're doing anything for the fest.

In what technically is some craft beer news during Octoberfest, Beertown is offering 1L stein's of Steamwhistle and you can keep the stein.

NRman
Bar Fly

Post by NRman »

I walked by the tent in downtown Kitchener (King and Frederick) on my way home... no time to stop in but i "was told" the Creemore Oktoberfest" is back

As reported last year...
http://www.bartowel.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=7258
.. its OK. certainly the best beer there.
If you are headed to Imbibe it might be worth stopping by. Not a fan of Oktoberfest myself.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

NRman wrote:I walked by the tent in downtown Kitchener (King and Frederick) on my way home... no time to stop in but i "was told" the Creemore Oktoberfest" is back

As reported last year...
If you are headed to Imbibe it might be worth stopping by. Not a fan of Oktoberfest myself.
That's cool. "In my day", i.e., the late 90s, there were lots of Brick products at Queensmount, and at the Aud (do you still call it "the Aud"?) for university night...
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

NRman
Bar Fly

Post by NRman »

JeffPorter wrote:
NRman wrote:I walked by the tent in downtown Kitchener (King and Frederick) on my way home... no time to stop in but i "was told" the Creemore Oktoberfest" is back

As reported last year...
That's cool. "In my day", i.e., the late 90s, there were lots of Brick products at Queensmount, and at the Aud (do you still call it "the Aud"?) for university night...
Not actually sure about beers @Oktoberfest anymore...pretty Molson dominated, and the lack of Brick beers is no loss.

The Aud is being redone
http://www.kitchener.ca/en/livinginkitc ... ansion.asp
http://www.wonderfulwaterloo.com/showthread.php?t=242

BTW WW is a pretty good forum to keep an eye on KW if you are interested in local stuff.