Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Brauhaus

Post details, reviews and recaps of interesting beer events in Ontario and elsewhere here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

jmcnally

Brauhaus

Post by jmcnally »

Anyone going to the next Brahaus homebrew tasting event this coming Saturday? I've signed up but won't know anyone there at all. Sounds like a great idea, though. You pay for a tasting glass and then can sample from 10 different brews over the course of the night. A few tickets left, I think.

Go to www.brauhausto.com and click on Join to become a free member. Then I think they'll send details of how to get tickets.

J343MY

Post by J343MY »

I will be there with a double IPA and an Imperial stout with coffee & chocolate.
Last edited by J343MY on Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ercousin

Post by ercousin »

I just started homebrewing in January, brewed my second batch on Saturday. I would be very interested in coming out to try what more experienced homebrewers can make.

Would a new guy like me be welcome at an event like this?

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

ercousin wrote:I just started homebrewing in January, brewed my second batch on Saturday. I would be very interested in coming out to try what more experienced homebrewers can make.

dude,
it is such a down to earth event. everyone is welcome.
probably one of the best atmospheres you'll find for a beer-related event.

i can't say enough good things about Brauhaus. it is a shame that not enough of the main stream beer geeks consider going (or actual brewers).

ercousin

Post by ercousin »

atomeyes wrote:
ercousin wrote:I just started homebrewing in January, brewed my second batch on Saturday. I would be very interested in coming out to try what more experienced homebrewers can make.

dude,
it is such a down to earth event. everyone is welcome.
probably one of the best atmospheres you'll find for a beer-related event.

i can't say enough good things about Brauhaus. it is a shame that not enough of the main stream beer geeks consider going (or actual brewers).
Awesome, hopefully there are still tickets left. I emailed brauhaus to join. Hoping I can also bring my friend who has been homebrewing much longer than I have. Do I need to get him to join the website too, or can I buy two tickets?

jmcnally

Post by jmcnally »

I think you can buy more than one ticket. And just for the record, I've never homebrewed in my life, but am thinking about it.

I just like learning more, especially in a friendly environment. Looking forward to it!

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

atomeyes wrote:i can't say enough good things about Brauhaus. it is a shame that not enough of the main stream beer geeks consider going (or actual brewers).
It might help if the website made it clearer that you don't have to be a homebrewer to join.

(Yes, I know that it doesn't explicitly say anywhere that you need to be one. But so many homebrewing clubs are either exclusive to homebrewers, or boring as hell for non-homebrewers, so it might help if it was clearly stated that non-homebrewers are welcome.)

Also, the reference to it being a "private club" in the first sentence on the first page might scare some people off right away. Just a thought.

Whatever the case, I'm going to join the list and try to make it out to an event at some point.

EDIT: Tried to join the list, and found one more reason why people might not be joining - there doesn't seem to be a Submit button for the sign up form! :roll:

ercousin

Post by ercousin »

GregClow wrote:
atomeyes wrote:i can't say enough good things about Brauhaus. it is a shame that not enough of the main stream beer geeks consider going (or actual brewers).
It might help if the website made it clearer that you don't have to be a homebrewer to join.

(Yes, I know that it doesn't explicitly say anywhere that you need to be one. But so many homebrewing clubs are either exclusive to homebrewers, or boring as hell for non-homebrewers, so it might help if it was clearly stated that non-homebrewers are welcome.)

Also, the reference to it being a "private club" in the first sentence on the first page might scare some people off right away. Just a thought.

Whatever the case, I'm going to join the list and try to make it out to an event at some point.

EDIT: Tried to join the list, and found one more reason why people might not be joining - there doesn't seem to be a Submit button for the sign up form! :roll:
If you scroll out with ctrl+mouse wheel it should appear, bad coding I guess...

cluxy

Post by cluxy »

Hey guys,

Thanks to those who bought a tasting glass for our winter showcase, we are hyped to have Jeremy and six other talented home brewers lined up — and happy to say that it's sold out.

A word on what we're all about: We are not a home brew club, or a club only for home brewers — in fact, our members are mostly just plain old beer lovers (only a handful of us are home brewers).

Brauhaus' mission is simple: to share great home brew with the beer-loving public.

We believe some of the most interesting beers are being made in the garages, stovetops and backyards of home brewers in Ontario and we want to help brewers showcase their wares and get feedback, give the public a taste for this beer - and craft beer in general - and do fun stuff like pair them with food.

We are also piloting a mentorship program where we pair up newer home brewers with experienced folks to help troubleshoot/progress etc.

We hear you on the private thing, Greg, and we don't mean to sound all Fight Club and stuff, but we gotta be vigilant about following AGCO reg's hence people need to JOIN US to find out the goods.

On the submit issue, we're addressing it. In the meantime, if you want to join us, we can add you to our list for our spring event — just email us at: info@brauhausto.com, we ask that you send us your name, email and postal code (that last one is optional).

Cheers!
Brauhaus founders: Doug Appeldoorn, Crystal Luxmore, Carlos Santos, Scott & Nicole Stewart

jmcnally

Post by jmcnally »

Just got back from Brauhaus and must say it was seriously impressive. 11 beers on display, and my ticket got me 8 samples and a very nicely-designed tasting glass, as well as some great food. Out of those 8 samples, only two were less than delicious.

Serious props to Jeremy, both of whose beers, though on the boozy side, showed extremely well tonight.

I was without a wingman and so was extremely shy but still thoroughly enjoyed myself and was super-impressed with the quality of the beer on display. I hope more people will discover this in the future. Excellent event.

J343MY

Post by J343MY »

Awesome event. Everyone killed it last night. Not one bad beer in the whole group. We went through the whole keg of my double ipa, and most of my imperial stout.