Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Certified Cicerone® Training

Post details, reviews and recaps of interesting beer events in Ontario and elsewhere here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

SlipperyPete

Certified Cicerone® Training

Post by SlipperyPete »

Greetings.

I'm running a course starting March 25th at the Beer Academy which teaches you how to pass the Certified Cicerone® exam. It's 21 sessions which covers everything you'll need to know to pass. It includes the following:

Tasting every style in the BJCP guide (76)
Off-flavor testing every class
Guest speakers from Hop Farmers, Local Brewers, Draft techs and a cheese expert
Palate Calibration and Sensory development
and much, much more

The sessions would be 2-2.5 hrs every Monday evening, except on holidays, which would be then held Tuesday. The total cost is $650, all in, taxes incl. I provide everything except a pen or pencil.

Classes are limited to 12 participants, with 6 slots left.

For people whom want to learn about beer, and achieve a internationally recognized distinction, call or email me for more information. Questions on this forum are welcome as well.

Please note that I am not affiliated with the Beer Academy, or an employee of Molson/Coors. I am solely renting a space there.

Peter Campagna
Certified Cicerone®
Phone: 647.280.5118
Twitter: @beer_education
[/img]

SlipperyPete

Post by SlipperyPete »

Hey hey.

Thank you to everyone for your interest in the course. I'm looking to start April 22nd.

3 openings are currently left.

I should probably mention those looking to pass the BJCP exam would also find this VERY helpful.

Peter Campagna
Certified Cicerone®
Phone: 647.280.5118

jakis

Post by jakis »

Hey whats the cost of the course?

SlipperyPete

Post by SlipperyPete »

The cost is $650 for 21 sessions. It works out to $31/session. That includes taxes, as well.

BrewNerd

Post by BrewNerd »

the real question is... Do you have un-blended lambic :D jk jk

Sounds good, I will have to pass on this one since wallets tight. How often do you run this course?

SlipperyPete

Post by SlipperyPete »

Fucking right I have Unblended Lambic.

Two weeks ago I bought probably the last two in New York. Two 750mL Cantillon Iris. I also found Roggenbier at the same store.

Eagle Provisions. Next time in New York, this will be ONLY store I buy beer in.

SlipperyPete

Post by SlipperyPete »

Hey hey.

Aiming for yet another round of Cicerone Beer training in the new year. Once again, the classes will be offered privately, and the Beer Academy, probably twice a week until the exam day.

Those interested should have a look at this link to give you a little idea of what is involved in this course:

The last six students I trained just recently wrote the exam. All passed the tasting, and were still waiting results for the written.

Any interested parties please PM me, or you can call or email:

Peter - 647.280.5118
petercampagna@ymail.com

SlipperyPete

Post by SlipperyPete »

Hey hey.

Finally got a little blog together to help answer some commonly asked questions with a little background.

http://petersbeereducation.wordpress.co ... d-answers/

A Certified Cicerone exam is now confirmed in Toronto for April 21st, at Beer Academy.

Currently looking to start late January, two sessions per week up until exam date.

SlipperyPete

Post by SlipperyPete »

Just deleted last post to avoid any confusion.

Sooo...

I have decided to push back the dates for Cicerone training to a later date, perhaps a month or so.

This will put the course back to probably one night a week, with a scheduled Cicerone exam to follow shortly after.

Special thanks to Bar Towel for letting me post here. I've found the response I get from this is surprisingly good.

If your interested, I post updates here on the regular.

Peter.

SlipperyPete

Post by SlipperyPete »

Alright. Dates are set in place.

March 3 (Monday) - Off flavours and Intro

March 4 (Tuesday) - Sensory and Palette Calibration

March 10 (Monday) - Common Beer Flavours

March 11 (Tuesday) - Malts & Malting

March 18 (Tuesday) - Guest Speaker Organic Hop farmer Shane Eby

March 25 (Tuesday) - Yeast

April 1 (Tuesday) - Water and importance to Geographical Style

April 8 (Tuesday) - Jeff Rogowsky (UBC Canada) Draught Seminar

April 15 (Tuesday) - Provincial laws

April 22 (Tuesday) - Chef Jesse Vallins (The Saint Tavern), pairing beer w/ food and cheese

April 29 (Tuesday) - Review & Ingredient Assessment

May 6 (Tuesday) - Shelf life, Storage & Cellaring

May 13 (Tuesday) - Pouring Techniques & table service

May 20 (Tuesday) - Brewing Process w/ Matt Tweedy (Beau's) Pt. 1

May 21 (Wednesday) - Brewing Process w/ Matt Tweedy Pt. 2

May 27 (Tuesday) - Belgian & Trappist history

June 3 (Tuesday) - Draught review

June 10 (Tuesday) - Off-flavour testing and final BJCP style tastings

June 17 (Tuesday) - Replica of Cicerone exam

June 24 (Tuesday) - Exam review (written) + additional tasting exam

All this going to happen at the Beer Academy starting at 6:30 on the nights posted. Within all of these, every class will at least one 0ff-flavour and one style comparison quiz. These will help get you ready for the tasting portion of the exam.

Also 1 - 3 BJCP style categories will be tasted and recorded per class. I didn't include the breakdown, because it is often subject to change. I know the beer line-up is going to be quite awesome.

And finally, there are still a few spots open. PM for details, or contact directly.

Peter Campagna
@beer_education

SlipperyPete

Post by SlipperyPete »

He everybody.

First, massive thanks to the support I'm receiving on Bar Towel. Been a true pleasure.

I've got one vacancy left... any takers?

Peter.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

SlipperyPete wrote:Fucking right I have Unblended Lambic.

Two weeks ago I bought probably the last two in New York. Two 750mL Cantillon Iris. I also found Roggenbier at the same store.

Eagle Provisions. Next time in New York, this will be ONLY store I buy beer in.
expensive store, weird layout, great beer.

interested in the course, just not the price. will keep an eye out for future sessions

SlipperyPete

Post by SlipperyPete »

Thanks for your interest.

As for the cost, next time around it's going up. Seibel kits have increased in price by 33%, my venue has increased by 20% and nobody is cutting me breaks anymore on Beer and supplies. That's inflation for ya.

I have seen Certified Cicerone training advertised on Twitter for 3 hours @ $50. It takes 3 hours to WRITE the Cicerone Exam, how you can get completely ready in one 3 hour seminar is beyond me.