Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Session Toronto - June 22nd

Post details, reviews and recaps of interesting beer events in Ontario and elsewhere here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

no ridiculous one beer per person rule like Volo's Cask Days. That rule needs to be dropped for 2013 Cask Days.
How many beers can you fit in one glass? Personally, I can only fit one.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

midlife crisis wrote:
no ridiculous one beer per person rule like Volo's Cask Days. That rule needs to be dropped for 2013 Cask Days.
How many beers can you fit in one glass? Personally, I can only fit one.
Two hands, two glasses. One for me, one for my girlfriend. Simple.

We got to Cask Days early to snag a table since I can't stand for most of the day. I organized what we were both having for efficiency and wanted to get each of us a beer in one trip. No such luck, one person one beer. Instead I either had to go back and forth twice for each round or we went separately to keep the table. Doesn't make for such a great time together trying the beers.
lister

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

I guess I've always viewed Cask Days as mostly a mingling event, not an event where one sticks at a table for the day. However, if someone has a disability and can't stand for long periods, I agree they should be accommodated if at all possible.

GreatCop

Post by GreatCop »

lister wrote:
Cass wrote:
GregClow wrote: OK, I know The Stop. But what's the "all you can drink and eat thing"?
Probably referring to the Night Market?
Yep.
My wife and I went last year and it was incredible, we were so full we could hardly stand. Great mix of desserts and sandwiches and things on sticks, and a few good beer tents too.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

midlife crisis wrote:I guess I've always viewed Cask Days as mostly a mingling event, not an event where one sticks at a table for the day. However, if someone has a disability and can't stand for long periods, I agree they should be accommodated if at all possible.
While I don't have a disability my back and knee starts to hurt if I stand for too long or from shuffling around in a crowd too much. I had stood long enough waiting to get in, another four hours or so would have me in pain for the rest of the day.

I hope the rule is changed. I'll be asking again about that a little closer to Cask Days. I never did get a response when I brought it up last year.
lister

andrewrg
Bar Fly

Post by andrewrg »

I suspect it's not a rule made by Volo/organizers but a requirement for the liquor licence or from the location.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

andrewrg wrote:I suspect it's not a rule made by Volo/organizers but a requirement for the liquor licence or from the location.
I don't know about the liquor license. I had no problems grabbing two pints at once when Cask Days was at Hart House. I don't see much difference between the two venues. If it was due to a technical issue like that, it's an easy reply to my query.
lister

cmadd

Post by cmadd »

lister wrote:
andrewrg wrote:I suspect it's not a rule made by Volo/organizers but a requirement for the liquor licence or from the location.
I don't know about the liquor license. I had no problems grabbing two pints at once when Cask Days was at Hart House. I don't see much difference between the two venues. If it was due to a technical issue like that, it's an easy reply to my query.
What you said is actually evidence in favour of the license issue. Same organizer, different venue, different rules. Seems more reasonable to assume the change in venue is responsible for the change in rules.

Griffin Gastropub

Post by Griffin Gastropub »

Hey beer lovers. I'm sorry we didn't get on here a little earlier. Hopefully I can answer some of your existing questions, and provide a little more insight into this year's event.

1. New Venue - Wychwood Barns is very craft beer friendly, and with all the outdoor space allows for expansion in future years if necessary.
We will be utilizing outside, as hopefully we have an amazing June day.

2. Pricing - we surveyed everyone on our mailing list (previous ticket purchasers), and the unanimous answer for pricing was to leave the drink portion all-inclusive. You may sample as many beers as you'd like, provided security doesn't see you as a threat to yourself or other patrons.

3. We definitely had washroom and food issues last year. Wychwood has a good feel for the needs of a crowd our size, and we will defer to them for this. Food will be available for purchase, so we don't have to worry about the fiasco of stamping and portioning like 2012.

4. Licensed Areas - we will be making decisions on how much of the property to utilize based on ticket sales. Festivals are most fun when they are busy but not cramped.

Outdoors we will have the food trucks, main stage for bands, and all of our collaboration brewery vendors (list below). The brewery vendors will be serving their collaboration brew, as well as their standard offerings.

Inside we will have some food vendors, acoustic music, beer education, as well as our Griffin Bar. The Griffin Bar will be home to lots of beers from Ontario breweries who ARE NOT collaboration vendors.

COLLABORATION LIST
Muskoka : The Arkells
Sawdust City : Fearless Fred : French Saison, Raspberry Aged
Wellington : The Departures (TV)
Flying Monkeys : City & Colour
Mill Street : Royal Wood : Belgian-styled Trippel
Beau's All Natural : Tom Green : Milk Stout
Highlander : Kerri King (Tourism)
Lake of Bays : Brandy Dean (Pretty Clever Films)
Indie Alehouse : Second City : Strawberry/Honey/Ginger Wheat
Great Lakes : Josh Rubin : Berliner Weiss
Black Oak : Ontario Culinary : Cask infused w Taste of Ontario
Amsterdam : Ed the Sock & Liana K
Spearhead : Toronto Wine & Spirit Fest : Jamaican Fire Ale
F&M : Coyotes Run Winery
Grand River : Jim Brickman
Steam Whistle : Wychwood Barns
Nickel Brook : East Dell Estates Winery
Left Field : The Mighty Garfoose (Dirk Hayhurst)
Oast House : Tawse Winery
Snowman : Madison Violet : Lavender/Honey IPA

ENTERTAINMENT
OCB Sponsored tasting eduction area
Acoustic Music - Grady Kelneck & Lindy Vopnfjörð
Mainstage - Madison Violet & TBD

Follow us on twitter (@GriffinGastro) for updates. We're using #collaborationnation
The Griffin GastroPub
705-646-0438 (pub)
705-646-0706 (office)
866-532-9366 (fax)
Twitter : @GriffinGastro

Droogy

Post by Droogy »

Looking forward to this...picked up my tickets last week!

IPA_Lover

Post by IPA_Lover »

I'm sorry but I find all these collaborations with musicians\celebrities and local DJ's (?) so gimmicky.

Focus on the beer and not what celebrity wants to throw their name on a label.
^^^Hop-head ^^^

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

IPA_Lover wrote:I'm sorry but I find all these collaborations with musicians\celebrities and local DJ's (?) so gimmicky.

Who cares? I'm just stoked that there will be that many one-offs prepared for the event.

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Lindy is a killer singer/ songwriter as well...

liamt07
Bar Fly

Post by liamt07 »

IPA_Lover wrote:I'm sorry but I find all these collaborations with musicians\celebrities and local DJ's (?) so gimmicky.

Having not tried any of the beers, who are you to instruct these brewers to 'focus on the beer?'

TheBeeraholic
Bar Fly

Post by TheBeeraholic »

Looking forward to this. Missed out on last years. Bought my tickets this afternoon.