Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Session Toronto - June 22nd

Post details, reviews and recaps of interesting beer events in Ontario and elsewhere here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Cass
Beer Superstar

Session Toronto - June 22nd

Post by Cass »

I must say that I like the change of venue to the Wychwood Barns...considering that I'm just down the street :-)

http://sessiontoronto.ca

BrewNerd

Post by BrewNerd »

Is it just me.... or is it getting more expensive every year? I mean, no beer tickets kinda levels it out I suppose.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Actually, I think this is cheaper than last year. Looking at the old thread it was $40/$50 door for one of two three hour sessions. This is $50 for one six hour event.

As I was reading the thread there was a lot of commentary on some of the event frustrations...wonder if they'll be addressed here. Wychwood is a unique space as I've done events there - it's long and narrow so people-flow can get clogged quite easily.

Beer-B-Q

Post by Beer-B-Q »

From reading the last Session thread, is it correct to assume that you can sample as many beers as you want during the day? Pardon my noobness please.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Beer-B-Q wrote:From reading the last Session thread, is it correct to assume that you can sample as many beers as you want during the day? Pardon my noobness please.
Last year you were given a number of tickets, and you could supposedly get more tickets if you wanted. I barely used my original allotment because a combination of lines, taking geeky Ratebeer notes, and socializing meant I was drinking fairly slowly.

I'm still deciding if I will go this year. I had fun last year despite the concerns raised in the other thread. $50 is not necessarily cheap, but is potentially a very good deal depending on what you drink. For me it would probably work out better since I would have more time to spread it out.

I am a little concerned that it may be a bit crazy by the end of the sixth hour. I feel like it has to the potential to suffer a bit from Buffet Fever - too many people gorging themselves to "get their money's worth".

I'm curious what kind of layout they will have. They would need to utilize more of the courtyard or inner hall to comfortably have the same # of people as last year. I think the layout of Wychwood actually has the potential to work better than 99 Sudbury from the perspective of the flow of people, depending how it is set up - Can you walk around the outside? is it all going to be in the main hall?

Personally, I will likely end up going but will decide closer to the date.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

From past experience at other events, the main hall will be fully licensed, along with the old Brewery Market space. Usually the walkway in between isn't licensed (where the stairwell and washrooms are).

What will be interesting to see is if the outdoor areas beyond the doors, either on the west, east or south will be licensed. Generally they aren't for events as they aren't fenced in. But maybe they will be...?

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

JerCraigs wrote:Last year you were given a number of tickets, and you could supposedly get more tickets if you wanted.
Advertised all-in drink and food, implies all you can drink and eat. Then you're handed tickets with no explanation. The vendors had no clue. Only after asking a staff member later is there an explanation about the drink tickets and what the deal with the food was. I'm very reluctant to return until I know they've got their shit together particularly knowing what the deal is up front, before tickets are even purchased. The location now sucks much like Cask Days (venues are great, just hate the longer tipsy trek home, yeah I'm a spoiled downtowner. :P Ah well.)

At this point the only beer festivals I'm 100% happy with is C'est What's spring and fall events. $1 tickets, beer menu with beers marked that are more than one ticket, where those beers are located, signs indicating the area and no ridiculous one beer per person rule like Volo's Cask Days. That rule needs to be dropped for 2013 Cask Days. Good location too.

OneStop is doing their all you can drink and eat thing again this year. That we will very likely attend.
lister

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

lister wrote:OneStop is doing their all you can drink and eat thing again this year. That we will very likely attend.
What's OneStop?

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

GregClow wrote:
lister wrote:OneStop is doing their all you can drink and eat thing again this year. That we will very likely attend.
What's OneStop?
Ack! The Stop. :oops:
lister

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

lister wrote:
GregClow wrote:
What's OneStop?
OK, I know The Stop. But what's the "all you can drink and eat thing"?

toweringpine

Post by toweringpine »

[quote="JerCraigs"]I am a little concerned that it may be a bit crazy by the end of the sixth hour. I feel like it has to the potential to suffer a bit from Buffet Fever - too many people gorging themselves to "get their money's worth".
quote]

I was sorta thinka the same thing. Especially considering that the beer is all you want and is covered by the admission cost but ( if I read the ad correctly ) the food will be provided by food trucks and each will set their own price.

Already paid for beer + costly food + longer hours = dangerous combination.

I will probably attend but I know I will have to be careful. I rarely over indulge at home or in bars but when I go festivals like this I am like a kid in a candy store and find that my eyes are bigger than my liver.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

GregClow wrote:
lister wrote:
GregClow wrote: What's OneStop?
Probably referring to the Night Market?

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Cass wrote:
GregClow wrote:
lister wrote: Ack! The Stop. :oops:
Probably referring to the Night Market?
Yep.
lister

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

lister wrote: The location now sucks much like Cask Days (venues are great, just hate the longer tipsy trek home, yeah I'm a spoiled downtowner. :P Ah well.)
Ermagerd! North of Bloor????? :roll: :wink:

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

JerCraigs wrote:
lister wrote: The location now sucks much like Cask Days (venues are great, just hate the longer tipsy trek home, yeah I'm a spoiled downtowner. :P Ah well.)
Ermagerd! North of Bloor????? :roll: :wink:
No such problems with that, used to live up at Eglinton. If I hadn't moved from there, I'd still bitch about the trek home from those venues (and the downtown ones too. :P )
lister