Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Zwanze Day/Funk Night @ Bar Volo - Sep 14

Post details, reviews and recaps of interesting beer events in Ontario and elsewhere here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

dale cannon

Post by dale cannon »

Just purchased 2.

Looking forward to it.
That's the way she goes. Sometimes she goes, sometimes it doesn't. She didn't go. That's the way she goes.

Kekumba

Post by Kekumba »

Tried on my phone in the car just after 2. No dice. Been refreshing at home for the last 20 minutes just in case, but alas, I appear to have missed out.

Suppose I can just go to DDC instead.

EDIT: Nvm. Tried a few more times and it popped up. Seems a little weird to me an hour after the fact, but I got the ticket e-mailed with my name on it anyway.

admviolin

Post by admviolin »

Yay! Got my two! Or rather, I have the best girlfriend in the world who bought them while I was at work :)

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

admviolin wrote:Yay! Got my two! Or rather, I have the best girlfriend in the world who bought them while I was at work :)
Ditto. My wife grabbed ours after some rather "enthusiastic" texts I sent on the down low from work.

Totally ready to get my funk on.

nickelass
Bar Fly

Post by nickelass »

Got mine!! See you all there!
"You wanna talk some jive? I'll talk some jive. I'll talk some jive like you've never heard!"

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Anyone know anything about the other beers on offer? Anything especially worth trying?

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Weird that some people got through around 2:45 it would appear. I tried first at 2:05, and then a couple of times around 2:20 with no luck. Never occurred to me to keep trying, but then I am a newbie at buying red hot tickets online. Oh well.

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

squeaky wrote:Anyone know anything about the other beers on offer? Anything especially worth trying?
everything? :)

i'll hit as many as i can, but likely start with the great lakes and amsterdam offerings. I loved fangboner at cask days '11. some of the others are repeats and/or variations on past winners. then there's the stuff from house ales, indie, and everyone else...
@grubextrapolate // @biergotter // http://biergotter.org/

groulxsome

Post by groulxsome »

squeaky wrote:Anyone know anything about the other beers on offer? Anything especially worth trying?
I agree with grub! Everything!

Funk Night was my favourite beer event last year and I even prefer it to the always awesome cask days. Had there only been 120 tickets on sale - for the same price - for early bird access to Funk Night I would have bought the tickets with the same sense of urgency. Cantillon is a major bonus!

I just loved some of the offerings last year and I always trust Amsterdam and Great Lakes with a bunch of bacteria, yeast, and barrels. The Dead Spainda Monkey was maybe the first Indie Ale House beer I had ever tried (this was before they opened last year), so they are also known to throw a good sour.

The Hopfenstark Epilogue (Berliner Weisse With Raspberry) was my favourite beer at Mondial this year out of everything (it's the Alexanderplatz with raspberries)... I honestly don't know where to start with the list!

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

My "problem" was I looked at the list and could only find like two things I wasn't interested in. You guys are no help at all! :P

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

Shikki Mikki's always good. probably one of the best (if not the best) berliner weiss in Toronto.

i'm excited about:

House Ales 25th Anniversary Ale (Barleywine Aged In 4 Roses Barrel)
Hopfenstark Saison Station 16
Dunham Raspberry Saison (Aged In Zinfandel Barrels)
Amsterdam Order and Chaos
anything by Nickelbrook (they're upped their game)
West Avenue Cider 'Cherry Beach'. Pinot barrel aged Montmorency cherry & Lacto cider.

and, of course, the two Cantillon offerings

there were definitely a few misses last year, and the event is heads and shoulders above where it was when it started (i.e. mostly misses the first time around).

admviolin

Post by admviolin »

I vote Nickelbrook, Great Lakes, the DDC, TDD and Hopfenstark.

dale cannon

Post by dale cannon »

I have a couple extra tix. PM for details.
That's the way she goes. Sometimes she goes, sometimes it doesn't. She didn't go. That's the way she goes.

dale cannon

Post by dale cannon »

All of my extra tickets are now spoken for.

hammy78

Post by hammy78 »

If anyone happens to have a spare ticket or more please PM me, as I would love to attend this event.