Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Zwanze Day/Funk Night @ Bar Volo - Sep 14

Post details, reviews and recaps of interesting beer events in Ontario and elsewhere here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

Ok, so as long as everyone in the lineup knows about lacto, pediococus, acetobacter, and brettanomyces, and has their own beer review video blog channel on youtube, y'all are cool with them bogarting "YOUR" portion of Zwanze?

And as long as mainstream media only does nerdy boring pieces on craft beer, so as to only attract other nerdy boring people, it is totally way rad dude, right?

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

i wouldn't state that us getting Zwanze day is the sign of the times. lest we forget that we had Cantillon in Ontario prior to Volo's recent (and small) shipment.

the reason we got Zwanze Day

1. Tomas et al. from Volo have been over to Belgium a few times over the past 1-2 years and have been working on Jean.
2. the LCBO has realized that there indeed is money in beer and may have realized that they fucked up the Cantillon issue the last time they turned the order away. In fact, i wouldn't be shocked if Keep6's Cantillon import is the first of more to trickle its way into Ontario (but keep in mind that it took SIX months for this order to make it through the LCBO)
3. Cantillon wanted to introduce new locations. Us getting Cantillon means that it made sense for Toronto to be chosen
4. It was originally Buffalo, not us, that was supposed to get Zwanze Day. I can't stress that enough. A random conversation w/Jean may have helped to sway us in getting it over Buffalo.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

markaberrant wrote:Ok, so as long as everyone in the lineup knows about lacto, pediococus, acetobacter, and brettanomyces, and has their own beer review video blog channel on youtube, y'all are cool with them bogarting "YOUR" portion of Zwanze?
That's funny.

I think it's great to introduce people to new flavours and increase awareness and popularity. As you've mentioned, there's many benefits to us beer geeks.

But on the other hand, how many people lined up for a Westy (perhaps having never tried any other quad), just because it was 'cool'?

I hate sheeple.

rudolf

Post by rudolf »

atomeyes wrote: 4. It was originally Buffalo, not us, that was supposed to get Zwanze Day. I can't stress that enough. A random conversation w/Jean may have helped to sway us in getting it over Buffalo.
Or it could be that Shelton Brothers, being Shelton Brothers, decided to not sell beer anywhere in NY state aside from NYC.

So yeah, no shelton stuff for us =(

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

markaberrant wrote:
squeaky wrote:I'm sure Volo will do a plenty good enough job hyping it to produce painful lines. This is the ugly dark side of the masses getting interested in craft beer.
This thread just got hella-awesome. Again.
Just to be clear, all I was saying is an increased demand for craft beer means things like this are more popular and leads to longer lines and the like. I really have no idea where anyone got that whole "unwashed masses" rubbish.

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

Yeah. Absolutely agree that you can't have it both ways. However, the reality of super limited releases is that craft beer growth outstrips product of such things. True, there are more events and releases, but it doesn't mean more lambic, or whatever, is being produced on an individual basis. Even if just the hardcore of the hardcore got to try Zwanze, there wouldn't be enough to go around. And I say that without any infererce about "worthyness". Just the way things are. (Edit....pretty much what Squeaky just said.....posted before reading that).

As for that whole unwashed masses buisiness, it's just words getting put into mouths, which is super easy to do on the interwebs when the context of face-to-face conversations aren't being had. The image of the indignant beer geek is pretty rampant, but I honestly have never met one of those stereotypes. I've been drinking and going to craft beer events for nearly a decade, so it's not lack of exposure. Maybe I've just been lucky.

I get the feeling there is a little animostly, real or percieved, between those in the craft press and those not (if there's not, then it's me speaking for others when I shouldn't be and I stand corrected). I said my original comment in a very tongue-in-cheek fashion, as likely did others. Let me be clear. Any beer press is good beer press as it helps grow the industry and results in everyone having more options.

This is maybe the most interesting thread I've read on BT in a while.....the topic of developing craft beer culture and it's baggage is ripe for a cultural anthropology thesis.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Spoke to Tomas about this at the Rhino fest yesterday, and he said that the plan is to have this be a ticketed event with multiple sessions, and with every ticket holder guaranteed a sample of Zwanze.

More details should be coming through official channels soon.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

I wonder if they'll tie it in to their funk night. That's normally in the fall, isn't it?

jrenihan

Post by jrenihan »

squeaky wrote:I wonder if they'll tie it in to their funk night. That's normally in the fall, isn't it?
Yes, apparently the plan is for Zwanze Day to be funk night this year.
Ren

admviolin

Post by admviolin »

GregClow wrote:Spoke to Tomas about this at the Rhino fest yesterday, and he said that the plan is to have this be a ticketed event with multiple sessions, and with every ticket holder guaranteed a sample of Zwanze.

More details should be coming through official channels soon.
I feel better knowing there will be tickets....I've avoided events in the past because of lines. (a Beau's takeover comes to mind)

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

so the not-so-secret of this year's Zwanze is out.

http://cantillon.be/br/3_21

sour abbey ale.

ercousin

Post by ercousin »

Anyone heard anything about tickets going on sale yet?

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

I suspect that they were likely worrying about Cask Days and the just released Bellwoods event first. Lots of stuff going on!

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Tweet yesterday said tickets will be going on sale next Tuesday
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

2pm folks. And we've been outed for secretive beer geekery on Crystal's blog!

http://guestlistapp.com/events/178959