Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Toronto's Festival of Beer - July 26-28

Post details, reviews and recaps of interesting beer events in Ontario and elsewhere here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

ercousin wrote:Anyone else going this year? I was originally planning on skipping but Canadian Beer News is reporting that Cigar City will be there. No confirmation on the TFOB website.
Cigar City was listed as one of the breweries that would be featured in the "World of Beer: East Coast" pavilion in press material that I got for CBN a few weeks ago.

Based on the "World of Beer" in past years, this would mean 1 or 2 Cigar City beers would be there in a shared booth with beer from the other featured breweries, not that Cigar City would have their own booth.

And as you note, Cigar City is not listed in the announcement on the TFOB site - http://beerfestival.ca/festival_event/w ... -pavilion/ - so it's possible that the order didn't come through in time to include them.

aofe

Post by aofe »

I went to the festival late Sunday around 4. Still fairly busy, but lineups were short. Talked to some of the local brewers, they said the fest worked well for them, but all I saw were only beer geeks drinking their stuff. Hopefully they got some good exposure to the casual drinker.

The "World of Beer Pavilion" was tucked away in a far corner. Once I found it, had everything from Picaroon’s & Garrison Brewing. As those were the only 2 that you can't find here in Ontario. Disappointed that Southern Tier, Brooklyn and Sam Adams didn't have anything special or different... Oh well...

Overall, I had very low expectations, so it was a bit better than I thought it would be. This was my first time, but I wouldn't go back. I just happened to be in the area for a concert, so I figured go here than pricey Moslons at the venue.

Cadbury102

Post by Cadbury102 »

I was at TFOB yesterday too. I got there around 4:30 or so, and it was quite busy. Overall, I was disappointed by the set up. It really didn't feel like it was a beer festival, but rather a mishmash bands and DJs and beer happened to be available. It was unfortunate that there was only 1 map at the festival, right at the entrance. Not that it was a complicated set up, but having a few scattered about would have been useful. I never actually found the World Beer Pavilion (mostly because I wasn't looking), but it would have been nice to have visited.

I was disappointed to see that numerous breweries were actually just pouring cans into the sample glasses (I saw it at Waterloo, and Weihenstephaner).

Thank goodness Matthew Good was there last night. Truly the saving grace. He made the $40 entry fee worth it all by himself.

There's no way I'll be going back to this festival.