Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Bellwoods Tap Takeover @ Volo - Aug 24th

Post details, reviews and recaps of interesting beer events in Ontario and elsewhere here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Bellwoods Tap Takeover @ Volo - Aug 24th

Post by atomeyes »

http://bellwoodsbrewery.com/
BELLWOODS SUNSPLASH

A Day of Soul, Reggae, and Bellwoods Beer @ Volo, August 24th

Session 1 — 12pm-4pm (Tickets)

Session 2 — 5pm-9pm (Tickets)

Session 3 — 9pm-2am (No Tickets/$5 Entrance)

Tickets are on sale now, and the $25 price includes admission, a beer booklet, and one drink ticket.

Like previous Volo takeover events beers will be available by the 1/4 pint (1 token) and 1/2 pint (2 tokens). Tokens can be purchased at the door (1 token is $4.00, includes tax)
updated:
Bar Volo has just released some additional info about the tap takeover on the 24th! Due to the nature of our beers (they have such a huge range of alcohol content) Volo has decided to separate them into two categories: a regular category (that includes most IPAs and sessionable styles) and a specialty category (that includes the high ABV, barrel-aged, and sour beers). The prices originally quoted for the event only reflect that of the specialty category.

One mistake to correct is that the price of admission includes 5 drink tokens, not 1 as previously stated.

Tokens are valued at $2.50 (tax in) and 10oz half pints are valued at $5-7.50 (tax in) depending on the category.
thoughts?
Last edited by atomeyes on Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

found on Volo's blog:

TAPS & CASKS

1. Bellwoods Grognard (Session Stout)
2. Bellwoods Bootknife (Belgian Brown Ale)
3. Bellwoods Lost River (Baltic Porter)
4. Bellwoods Hellwoods (Imperial Stout)
5. Bellwoods Bring Out Your Dead (Imperial Stout Aged in Cognac Barrels)
6. Bellwoods White Picket Fence (Belgian Wit)
7. Bellwoods Farmhouse Saison (Saison)
8. Bellwoods Belgian IPA (Belgian IPA)
9. Bellwoods Phantom Limb (Tripel)
10. Bellwoods Cuvee De Grandma’s Boy (a blend of Tripel and Saison)
11. Bellwoods Wizard Wolf (Dry-Hopped Session Ale)
12. Bellwoods Monogamy Galaxy (Single Hop Pale Ale)
13. Bellwoods Monogamy Simcoe (Single Hop Pale Ale)
14. Bellwoods Monogamy Chinook (Single Hop Pale Ale)
15. Bellwoods Monogamy Summit (Single Hop Pale Ale)
16. Bellwoods Quien Es El Hefe? (German Hefeweizen)
17. Bellwoods Omertà (Pale Ale with Orange Peel and Hibiscus Flower)
18. Bellwoods Roman Candle (IPA)
19. Bellwoods Witchshark (IIPA)
20. Bellwoods Mashpipe Rhubarb (Berlinerweisse with Smoked Rhubarb)
21. Bellwoods Sour Berliner (Berlinerweisse with Ginger and Apricot)
22. Bellwoods No Sleep Till Brooklyn (Sour Stout, Collab with Evil Twin Brewing))
23. Bellwoods Fruit Helmet (Pale Ale with Mango and Apricot)
24. Bellwood Fruit Helmet #2 (Pale Ale with Pineapple and Goji Berry)
25. Bellwoods Frambizzle (Saison with Raspberries, Collab with Trou Du Diable)
26. Bellwoods Tripel With Lemons (Cask)
27. Bellwoods Imp. Stout aged In Cognac Barrel With Cacao Nibs & Cherries (Cask)
28. Bellwoods TBD (Cask)
29. Bellwoods TBD (Cask)
30. Bellwoods TBD (Cask)
Last edited by MatttthewGeorge on Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I used to sell beer. Now I don't.

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

look forward to the casks

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Man, 25 bucks to get in gets you a quarter pint, then every quarter pint after that is 4 more dollars? Another way of putting that is $21 admission followed by $16 pints. I guess they have to price what the market will bear, but I think they've priced me out of this one.

nickw

Post by nickw »

Me too.

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

squeaky wrote:Man, 25 bucks to get in gets you a quarter pint, then every quarter pint after that is 4 more dollars? Another way of putting that is $21 admission followed by $16 pints. I guess they have to price what the market will bear, but I think they've priced me out of this one.
Could the half pint prices be a typo on Bellwoods blog?

I love Bellwoods. I love Volo. I've spent ridiculous amounts of money patronizing them both. I have no problem occasionally dropping $40 on a rare-ish out of province or foreign bottle to share at a table at either establishment. However, $25 for admission and $8 half pints at a tap takeover is highway robbery. I rarely draw a line out of principle, but I think this is mine. Sheesh.

Keep6 Imports

Post by Keep6 Imports »

Boney,

I was asked to come on here and clarify a few things regarding your comment.

$25.00 includes a special one off wine glass I've designed for the event, a tasting book, one drink ticket and admission. There is always door admission when we shut down our regular business for special events.

Not all beers at the event will be served for $8.00 a glass, just the specialty ones (typically high abv, barrel aged or belgian styles) which is standard at our bar. Also, keep in mind that this price includes taxes. Normally a glass of beer (with tax) at Volo is $8.25.

Please understand that it is never our intention to rip people off, or over charge. We do our best to offer an elevated experience in everything we do to make this province a better place for craft beer.

Thank you for your support as always. If you have any other questions or need any clarification on event information don't hesitate to contact me directly.

Tomas Morana
Keep6 / Volo / Cask Days
tom@barvolo.com
KEEP6 IMPORTS
Imported Goods

http://keep6imports.com
info@keep6imports.com
@keep6imports on Twitter

jakis

Post by jakis »

Keep6 Imports wrote:Boney,

I was asked to come on here and clarify a few things regarding your comment.

$25.00 includes a special one off wine glass I've designed for the event, a tasting book, one drink ticket and admission. There is always door admission when we shut down our regular business for special events.

Not all beers at the event will be served for $8.00 a glass, just the specialty ones (typically high abv, barrel aged or belgian styles) which is standard at our bar. Also, keep in mind that this price includes taxes. Normally a glass of beer (with tax) at Volo is $8.25.

Please understand that it is never our intention to rip people off, or over charge. We do our best to offer an elevated experience in everything we do to make this province a better place for craft beer.

Thank you for your support as always. If you have any other questions or need any clarification on event information don't hesitate to contact me directly.

Tomas Morana
Keep6 / Volo / Cask Days
tom@barvolo.com

Seems like a massive rip off to me. All of those beers have also been available at bellwoods for no admission price and much less the 8$ for a half pint.

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

Thank you for the thoughtful response and pricing clarification, Tomas. Much appreciated. Follow up e-mail sent.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

i have no doubt the event will sell out.

i kind of think of it as being a party of sorts. when i was younger, i'd drop $10 admission to get into a bar just for the privilege of buying their booze and being rejected by the women there. so how is this different?

this is toronto and we forget that there's a cost for running downtown breweries and bars.

not saying that i agree with the price lists and costs posted nor am i stating that there is value to the price of admission. there's a perceived value that some people will be willing to pay. same price that some will pay to wait in line for 3 hrs to maybe get a half a tulip of Zwanze, right?

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

If it's only 8 bucks a half-pint for the special stuff, it's not so bad. 8 bucks for a half-pint of wizard wolf is too much.

From Bellwoods blog:
In addition to the 26 beers on draft, we’ll also be tapping 6 casks, and popping a selection of reserve bottles.
I wonder what they have in the way of reserve bottles. They've only been around for 16 months or something, they must have been hoarding bottles from day 1.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

update from bellwoods.

http://bellwoodsbrewery.com/post/582432 ... ional-info
Bar Volo has just released some additional info about the tap takeover on the 24th! Due to the nature of our beers (they have such a huge range of alcohol content) Volo has decided to separate them into two categories: a regular category (that includes most IPAs and sessionable styles) and a specialty category (that includes the high ABV, barrel-aged, and sour beers). The prices originally quoted for the event only reflect that of the specialty category.

One mistake to correct is that the price of admission includes 5 drink tokens, not 1 as previously stated.

Tokens are valued at $2.50 (tax in) and 10oz half pints are valued at $5-7.50 (tax in) depending on the category.

nickw

Post by nickw »

Well, that's a lot more reasonable, especially the additional tokens included with admission.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Nice to see these response to the issues raised - a much better value, and wish I could attend but my discretionary budget has already been blown for the month with last week's vacation and Riotfest on the 25th
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

Keep6 Imports

Post by Keep6 Imports »

Hi Everyone,

Apologies, there was a bit of a miscommunication between Volo and Bellwoods with respects to pricing of tickets and cost of beer. Here is an update. Hope to see everyone there! :)

BELLWOODS SUNSPLASH

A Day of Soul, Reggae, and Bellwoods Beer @ Volo, Saturday, August 24th, 2013

* Session One: 12:00pm - 4:00pm (Tickets)

* Session Two: 5:00pm - 9:00pm (Tickets)

* Session Three: 9:00pm - 2:00am (No Tickets/ $5 Entrance)

* Buy Tickets! https://guestlistapp.com/events/176925

TICKET INFORMATION

* $25 price includes: admission, event glass, tasting booklet, and five drink tickets

* One drink ticket = $2.50 (including tax)

* Regular Beers (10oz) 1/2 Pint = $5.00 // Specialty Beers (10oz) = $7.50 (including tax)

* Advertised ticket price does not include HST & online processing fee's (Paypal & Guestlist)

* Only Bellwoods beers will be served on this day. BarVolo will not be open for regular business.

* Event is CASH ONLY, an ATM is available downstairs (19+).

* Caribbean eats by Matthew Duffy and Aiden Galligan of Cafe Boulud

TAPS

1. Bellwoods Grognard (Session Stout)

2. Bellwoods Bootknife (Belgian Brown Ale)

3. Bellwoods Lost River (Baltic Porter)

4. Bellwoods Hellwoods (Imperial Stout)

5. Bellwoods Bring Out Your Dead (Imperial Stout Aged in Cognac Barrels)

6. Bellwoods White Picket Fence (Belgian Wit)

7. Bellwoods Farmhouse Saison (Saison)

8. Bellwoods Belgian IPA (Belgian IPA)

9. Bellwoods Phantom Limb (Tripel)

10. Bellwoods Cuvee De Grandma's Boy (a blend of Tripel and Saison)

11. Bellwoods Wizard Wolf (Dry-Hopped Session Ale)

12. Bellwoods Monogamy Galaxy (Single Hop Pale Ale)

13. Bellwoods Monogamy Simcoe (Single Hop Pale Ale)

14. Bellwoods Monogamy Chinook (Single Hop Pale Ale)

15. Bellwoods Monogamy Summit (Single Hop Pale Ale)

16. Bellwoods Quien Es El Hefe? (German Hefeweizen)

17. Bellwoods Omertà (Pale Ale with Orange Peel and Hibiscus Flower)

18. Bellwoods Roman Candle (IPA)

19. Bellwoods Witchshark (IIPA)

20. Bellwoods Mashpipe Rhubarb (Berlinerweisse with Smoked Rhubarb)

21. Bellwoods Sour Berliner (Berlinerweisse with Ginger and Apricot)

22. Bellwoods No Sleep Till Brooklyn (Sour Stout)

23. Bellwoods Fruit Helmet (Pale Ale with Mango and Apricot, Collab with Evil Twin Brewing)

24. Bellwood Fruit Helmet #2 (Pale Ale with Pineapple and Goji Berry)

25. Bellwoods Frambizzle (Saison with Raspberries, Collab with Trou Du Diable)

CASKS

1. Bellwoods Tripel With Lemons

2. Bellwoods Imperial Stout aged In Cognac Barrel With Cacao Nibs and Cherries

3. Bellwoods TBD

4. Bellwoods TBD

5. Bellwoods TBD
KEEP6 IMPORTS
Imported Goods

http://keep6imports.com
info@keep6imports.com
@keep6imports on Twitter