Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Tank Ten Untethered - Beard of Zeus Launch

Post details, reviews and recaps of interesting beer events in Ontario and elsewhere here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Pub Style
Bar Fly

Tank Ten Untethered - Beard of Zeus Launch

Post by Pub Style »

Great Lakes Brewery
Tank Ten Untethered - Beard of Zeus

Yes ladies and gentlemen, we have a new Tank Ten series beer heading to the LCBO, and we'd like to provide you with a chance to get some before we ship cases out across Ontario.

On Thursday January 16th, from 5pm to 8pm, be the first in the province to try Beard of Zeus, a barrel-aged barley wine that was aged in Four Roses bourbon barrels for a year. The very limited 13% behemoth will be available for sampling and for purchase at 5pm promptly in the brewery's retail store at Great Lakes. And because we like you so much, we've decided to extend the hours of the store until 8pm, which will provide you with some extra time to sample some other GLB beers. Individuals who purchase the beer will also have their names entered into a draw for some GLB swag!

So, what about this Beard of Zeus? Well, here you have it - Kyle’s* Barley Wine recipe is a big one for sure. We figured we’d take it up a notch by bourbon barrel-aging it for close to a year. Perhaps, not surprisingly, the beer is bigger, more bourbony and more barrely than the original recipe. Our friend Kyle approves. *Brewed in collaboration with Toronto Beer Week homebrew winner, Kyle Teichart. Best enjoyed after December 31, 2014.

Beard of Zeus will retail for $9.95 and only 1000 bottles will make it into distribution. This is a great opportunity to make sure you get some bottles for aging.

For more information, please contact Troy Burtch at troy.b@greatlakesbeer.com. or 647.400.7051

THE TANK TEN STORY:
Stemming from our Project X line, Tank Ten is a tickle trunk of tasty treats. This series is payback to our hard working brewers. We've reserved fermenting tank number ten for them and have given them the green light to brew whatever the heck they want.

“One of the truest tests of integrity is its blunt refusal to be compromised.”
-Chinua Achebe

THE BEER:
First things first – This beer has been brewed for, and meant to be, aged. While it’s tasty right now, it will be best with a years worth of appropriate aging. If you want to age longer, do so by all means as Beard of Zeus Barrel-Aged Barley Wine will mature nicely for up to five years. Now, the taste! The beer is mahogany in colour with some ruby red hues shining through under the tan head. Aromas of dried fruits, plums and a touch of warming alcohol. Much the same in taste: dried fruits, cherry and plum, sweet malt with soft notes of vanilla and toffee. The Four Roses bourbon barrels that were used to age this beer for one year give the barley wine a lot of character, which comes through nicely in the finish.

THE NAME:
Kyle’s* Barley Wine recipe is a big one for sure. We figured we’d take it up a notch by bourbon barrel-aging it for close to a year. Perhaps, not surprisingly, the beer is bigger, more bourbon and more barrely than the original recipe. Our friend Kyle approves. *Brewed in collaboration with Toronto Beer Week homebrew winner, Kyle Teichart.

LCBO INFO:
Product Number – #374710
Retail Price - $9.95

Website – www.greatlakesbeer.com
Twitter - @greatlakesbeer #BeardofZeusGLB
Facebook – www.facebook.com/greatlakesbeer

Alcohol: 13%
Bottle Size: 650ml
Serving Temp: 8-10°C
IBUs: 28

Suggested glassware: Tulip Glass
Suggested food pairings:
Entrees – Meat pies, lamb shank,
Desserts - Caramel cheesecake, Butter tarts
Cheeses - Stilton with dried fruits and nuts

http://www.greatlakesbeer.com/wp-conten ... s-copy.jpg
Last edited by Pub Style on Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Why is this one getting the whole dog and pony show, where the 2012 oak aged barley wine had a relatively quiet release?

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

squeaky wrote:Why is this one getting the whole dog and pony show, where the 2012 oak aged barley wine had a relatively quiet release?
Are you talking about the one that has been popping up at the retail store every so often over the past few months? If so, do we know for sure that Beard of Zues is a different beer?

Pub Style
Bar Fly

Post by Pub Style »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:
squeaky wrote:Why is this one getting the whole dog and pony show, where the 2012 oak aged barley wine had a relatively quiet release?
Are you talking about the one that has been popping up at the retail store every so often over the past few months? If so, do we know for sure that Beard of Zues is a different beer?
The 2012 Oak-Aged Barley Wine is only available at the GLB retail store. This baby is heading to the LCBO under the Tank Ten series. Two different beers, two different releases.

Cheers
Troy

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Thanks Troy.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

only 1000 bottles total? or 1000 for the lcbo?

doesn't seem like a whole lot.. assuming this release won't make it further than the toronto area lcbos?

anyone happen to know how many bottles of the 25th Anniversary Bourbon Barrel-Aged Russian Imperial Stout there were?

instantkamera

Post by instantkamera »

spinrsx wrote:assuming this release won't make it further than the toronto area lcbos?
That would be some bullshit. It's already available to that market, why waste the listing?

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

instantkamera wrote:
spinrsx wrote:assuming this release won't make it further than the toronto area lcbos?
That would be some bullshit. It's already available to that market, why waste the listing?
they have to deliver their own product. why would they drive all over the province instead of driving all around one city?

instantkamera

Post by instantkamera »

matt7215 wrote:
instantkamera wrote:
they have to deliver their own product. why would they drive all over the province instead of driving all around one city?
Seems fairly obvious: To sell to people not located in/around TO.

That's probably why most of the other Tank Ten LCBO listings were NOT limited to Toronto-area stores. Their retail store already pretty much covers that market (I realize that Toronto isn't exactly a small city, but it's still not comparable to the distance from GLB to London/Windsor/Ottawa/etc).

I guess we'll see.

ECBS

Post by ECBS »

instantkamera wrote:
matt7215 wrote:
instantkamera wrote: That would be some bullshit. It's already available to that market, why waste the listing?

That's probably why most of the other Tank Ten LCBO listings were NOT limited to Toronto-area stores. Their retail store already pretty much covers that market (I realize that Toronto isn't exactly a small city, but it's still not comparable to the distance from GLB to London/Windsor/Ottawa/etc).

I guess we'll see.
I hear ya! I never give my hopes up for limited releases from TO breweries to make it outside of the GTA (especially all the way to Windsor), but I'm hopeful that this one, like Tank Ten Lake Effect, will make its way around. Fingers crossed...

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

instantkamera wrote:
matt7215 wrote:
instantkamera wrote: That would be some bullshit. It's already available to that market, why waste the listing?

I guess we'll see.
For whatever it's worth, the GLB retail store is significantly harder for me to get to than an LCBO. It's only accessible to people with cars who are willing to drive, which eliminates a lot of potential customers.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

that's why I'm curious as to how many bottles of the 25th Anniversary Bourbon Barrel-Aged Russian Imperial Stout there were.

from what I recall, it had a fairly good distribution. I saw it at several Ottawa LCBO's

Pub Style
Bar Fly

Post by Pub Style »

Ladies and gentlemen - slight typo in the original post...SELECT stores across Ontario will be getting some Beard of Zeus in very limited quantities.

We'll help out by posting a list in the next few days, but here are just some of the cities that will receive some of the barrel-aged barley wine:

Ottawa
Kingston
Waterloo
Guelph
Hamilton
Oakville
Peterborough
London
Toronto

Cheers
Troy

Last edited by Pub Style on Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

squeaky wrote:For whatever it's worth, the GLB retail store is significantly harder for me to get to than an LCBO. It's only accessible to people with cars who are willing to drive, which eliminates a lot of potential customers.
that second part is not exactly true... it's certainly harder to get to than your local LCBO for most folks, but absolutely accessible via transit, which is how I've gone there most of the times I've visited. my preferred method (since I'm coming in via GO from Markham) is the lakeshore GO to Mimico station and the short walk over from there, but I'd bet it's TTCable too as I see buses and such in the area. Far less hassle for me to get there via transit than via car most of the time.
@grubextrapolate // @biergotter // http://biergotter.org/

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

grub wrote:
squeaky wrote:For whatever it's worth, the GLB retail store is significantly harder for me to get to than an LCBO. It's only accessible to people with cars who are willing to drive, which eliminates a lot of potential customers.
that second part is not exactly true... it's certainly harder to get to than your local LCBO for most folks, but absolutely accessible via transit, which is how I've gone there most of the times I've visited. my preferred method (since I'm coming in via GO from Markham) is the lakeshore GO to Mimico station and the short walk over from there, but I'd bet it's TTCable too as I see buses and such in the area. Far less hassle for me to get there via transit than via car most of the time.
Transit there is a hassle. The drive from my house is 16 minutes, to do it by transit is 78 minutes one-way, as of when I checked just now. It varies a little depending on timing.