Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Winking Judge Beer Fest

Post details, reviews and recaps of interesting beer events in Ontario and elsewhere here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Is anyone going to the next Winking Judge beer fest? I have heard it is next weekend. Has anyone been to one in the past?

Josh Oakes

Post by Josh Oakes »

It's a nice piss-up. They're usually sold out pretty quick so it might be tough to get in if you just drop by unannounced.

The C'est What sounds like the same idea as the Judgefest, but in Hamilton it's a flat entrance and all you can drink. Good range of brews and everybody there knows everybody else.

A couple of years ago the Pinehurst guys showed up, and Bill put on a keg of ImPaled Ale, so you might get some surprises.

It's good, but personally since I forgot to buy a ticket I'll probably just go to C'est What and see what's there instead.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

I have an invite to the Judgefest, so this plus C'est What looks like another wild beery weekend.

Maybe I'll see you guys at C'est What...I'll be the one shamelessly handing out coasters.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Cass on 2001-10-08 14:01 ]</font>

DAN-D-MAN

Post by DAN-D-MAN »

This fest sounds interesting! Would it be possible to get more details? From the notes above, it appears like it's held in Hamilton. When is it and where in Hamilton and is it too late to get tickets? I've searched the net and found nothing on this.

Any assistance would be much appreciated.

BTW, I'll see you at C'est What? on Friday!

Lubiere

Post by Lubiere »

Well they dont have anything on their website about this...

Is it on the 13th?

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Yep, its on the 13th, at 2pm I believe.

I don't know anything about it, I was just recently invited.

This is what they had on their website about the last one:

April 28th 2001: This is the date scheduled for our semi-annual BeerFest. We invite a dozen or so brewers to showcase their products. Attendance is limited to 75 people. You get to sample many types of beers and food. A commemorative glass beer mug is yours to take home. The BeerFest usually sells out FAST. Contact us for more info."

I don't know if it's sold out yet - the best bet would be to give them a call at 905-524-5626.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Well I make the trek to Hamilton yesterday for the JudgeFest. I'd never been before, to the bar itself or to the fest, so I wasn't sure what to expect.

It was definitely an interesting time. The attending breweries were set up at tables throughout the bar. From what I was hearing, there was a comparatively low turnout in breweries this time. The breweries that came were: McAuslan, Scotch Irish, Church Key, KLB, Magnotta, Hogtown & F&M.

Beer highlights included Scotch Irish's cask-conditioned dry hop ale, which was available at the Toronto beer fest. However, the Judge offered a better opportunity to sample this fine brew and chat with Perry.

Church Key brought a keg of their newest specialty beer, a Chocolate Porter. This was a nice beer, contaning many pounds of cocoa used in the brew. It has a subtle chocolate-ness, a tasty beer.

Although not a product that McAuslan brought for the show, the Judge had a keg of McAuslan's Scotch Ale on tap. An excellent brew. Of note is that the Judge currently has <strong>five</strong> different McAuslan brews on tap. Not a bad place to visit if you're a fan.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Cass on 2001-10-14 09:55 ]</font>