Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Toronto Beer Week 2014 - September 12th - 20th

Post details, reviews and recaps of interesting beer events in Ontario and elsewhere here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

ritzkiss

Post by ritzkiss »

napoleon wrote: The only people I ever bash are the Volo people....they're in it for the money, not the love of beer.
There's some stiff competition, no doubt, but this is the most patently absurd statement I have ever seen on BarTowel. Hard to imagine the beer scene here in Toronto without Ralph and his advocacy/love for good beer.

napoleon

Post by napoleon »

jrenihan wrote: Not to mention the broader costs that have to be made up through ticket prices. Event rental, equipment rentals, mandatory security (this is big), etc. Nobody's raking in cash through this event.
Ren
I would be happy to stand corrected. I've only been in the Toronto beer scene a couple years, and the info I got was from much more senior people in the Toronto beer scene. Several independent Ontario brewers have told me that they were not paid a dime for the beer they provided to the event. I've never met Ralph, but the plausibility of that information was reinforced by a couple incidents I've observed with his son at Bar Volo.

Like I said...I would be happy to be wrong. I would be incredibly surprised if this festival didn't make a profit though.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

northyorksammy wrote:
Bobsy wrote:
northyorksammy wrote: Your search failed, please try again - BeerAdvocate.com
H but there's more to a great bar than a constantly turning over tap list.
tell us more about what makes up a good beer bar.
Sammy, as far as I can remember you've ticked more beers than anyone else on BA. If you don't know what makes up a good bar at this point in your life, my words can't help you.

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

Mr Bobsy. None of your bars are on BA and I never heard of them. Why are you promoting them? I have nothing to sell here.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

northyorksammy wrote:Mr Bobsy. None of your bars are on BA and I never heard of them. Why are you promoting them? I have nothing to sell here.
I'm promoting them because they strike me as good bars, and going to good bars might be of interest to some people here.

Also Sammy, I used to be the beer fly guide for Ontario on BA. The reason a lot of places aren't on there is because 1) they're new, 2) a BA may not have been there and 3) BA is a pretty flawed resource for places.

napoleon

Post by napoleon »

I just want to compliment Cass and Indie Ale House on an excellent event yesterday. The barrel-aged beers were fantastic, the staff were super friendly, and the prices were very reasonable.

Thanks for organizing that!

nickw

Post by nickw »

Bobsy wrote:
northyorksammy wrote:Mr Bobsy. None of your bars are on BA and I never heard of them. Why are you promoting them? I have nothing to sell here.
I'm promoting them because they strike me as good bars, and going to good bars might be of interest to some people here.

Also Sammy, I used to be the beer fly guide for Ontario on BA. The reason a lot of places aren't on there is because 1) they're new, 2) a BA may not have been there and 3) BA is a pretty flawed resource for places.
I make regular visits to two of the four places mentioned, and I quite happily spend my money and time at them because, yes, they are good bars. If someone isn't willing to try them (or even hear about them), it's their loss.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Pretty good start to beer week so far for me. Lots of new beers at C'est What Fest though not many were standouts (Amsterdam TBW Saison was a highlight), Sacred Oak event was fun (Amsterdam Superstition was great, Indie 99 Luft Balloons benefited from more time in the barrel since last I had it, gaining Chardonnay character) but trying 3 of the four versions of Four Barrels Barleywine towards the end of the session may have been ill advised! (Hic!) Indie Homebrewer's Tap Takeover today was fun, Brett Lindroos Brett Pale Ale, and It's W'abbit Season were some of the better ones I remember.

Hoping to make it to lots of stuff next week as well but my liver is already protesting, so we shall see!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Bobsy wrote:

I like good new bars Bobsy. Keeps this city alive and interesting. A good reason to frequent BarTowel - if not BeerAdvocate. Please everyone keep posting them, thanks.
In Beerum Veritas

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

JerCraigs wrote:Hoping to make it to lots of stuff next week as well but my liver is already protesting, so we shall see!

not sure what you mean but if there is any hint of a health issue, you must take care of it now.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

northyorksammy wrote:
JerCraigs wrote:Hoping to make it to lots of stuff next week as well but my liver is already protesting, so we shall see!

not sure what you mean but if there is any hint of a health issue, you must take care of it now.
Thanks for the concern, it was just a figure of speech - I just meant that it's a lot of drinking over a short period of time and it is daunting :)

JasonTremblay

Post by JasonTremblay »

For a mild thread jack.

I have been thinking about what makes a good bar.

And, top of the list, is ALWAYS good staff.

I'd rather hang in places with 6 craft taps and a good bartender than a place with 30 and a staff with no clue.

The number of places I've been to with both a bunch of taps and good staff is surprisingly small. And Toronto is blessed with a few of them.

And so, I deliver a shoutout to Wise Bar in Bloorcourt and Thirsty and Miserable in Kensington Market. Because you can be small and good.

Cheers!
Jason

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Here's the latest list for the Golden Tap Awards tomorrow @ Beerbistro. May be a couple of last minute adds.

TAP
Great Lakes Thrust an IPA
Junction Brakeman's Session Ale
Spearhead Sam Roberts
Sawdust City Lone Pine IPA
Black Oak Oaktoberfest
Nickel Brook Le Paysan Saison
Amsterdam TBW Farmhouse Ale
West Avenue Spy: Northern Spy Apple Farmhouse Cider
Left Field Sunlight Park Saison
Boshkung Tart-an Spruce Ale
Beer Academy Rauchbier