Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Zwanze Day 2014

Post details, reviews and recaps of interesting beer events in Ontario and elsewhere here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Cadbury102 wrote:Wow, 2 mins? Do tickets commonly sell out that fast for Zwanze?
Yeah, they sold out in a minute last year too. I don't think they sell as many tickets as capacity nowadays so there's breathing room in the bar (which is always nice). And I'm sure a number are held back for the participating brewers to attend.

napoleon

Post by napoleon »

Wow, that was like trying to buy Justin Bieber tickets (not that I've ever done that). I had to refresh the whole page to get it to let me register. My colleague who was trying to get tickets was clicking over and over and it went from "not yet available" to "sold out".

For those of you that didn't get tickets, from what I recall almost everything was still available last year when it opened to the public at 7. There was a line, but it wasn't too bad. And I don't know anyone that went back for seconds of the actual Zwanze beer last year.

Automatic

Post by Automatic »

Wow. Sold out in 20 seconds. That's crazy shit!

I got a pair of tix and am looking forward to the event.

ercousin

Post by ercousin »

Maybe we should finally get some bartowel pins/identifiers together seeing how many beer events are coming up this month. I would be nice to finally meet Cass!

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Cadbury102 wrote:Wow, 2 mins?
Less than that...

"τʀλρρɪƨt ‏@giulianVOLO #ZWANZEDAY SOLD OUT IN 20 SECONDS @barVolo"

:o
Cadbury102 wrote:Do tickets commonly sell out that fast for Zwanze?
This is only the second year it's been held in Toronto. I think it sold out in a minute or so last year.

Kekumba

Post by Kekumba »

squeaky wrote:I was literally sitting there clicking register over and over again and I never got a chance. I had my wife and a friend do the same, with the same result.
I was refreshing multiple tabs and missed out. I didn't think I could be more on top of things, but...

ISO a ticket if anyone has something come up between now and then.

liamt07
Bar Fly

Post by liamt07 »

Was pressing refresh every 5 seconds for a solid minute up until this went on sale. Literally went from "tickets unavailable" to "sold out" between refreshes. Unreal.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

ercousin wrote:Maybe we should finally get some bartowel pins/identifiers together seeing how many beer events are coming up this month. I would be nice to finally meet Cass!
I have a button maker at home. I'll do up a bag of buttons to hand out at the events so we can spot each other!

DarcyK

Post by DarcyK »

liamt07 wrote:Was pressing refresh every 5 seconds for a solid minute up until this went on sale. Literally went from "tickets unavailable" to "sold out" between refreshes. Unreal.
Same experience. I got shut out, and counted 30 seconds until my laptop clock hit 12:01. Unreal. I'm frustrated Volo promoted the hell out of this event. When tickets are very limited and highly sought after, advertising is pointless, and you just attract more bottom feeders.

I won't be surprised to see Zwanze Day tickets up on StubHub or similar.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

If it's any consolation, as the tickets are so limited the Zwanze was still available at the public open last year, and in fact barely anyone showed up when the public doors open. I'd suggest plan on coming at public doors open and it will still be a good time. With multiple Cantillons available and small pours I'd have to think most of them will last until doors open.

napoleon

Post by napoleon »

More tickets were available at the 30 minute mark. My 2 friends who were originally shut out just each snagged sets. Might want to keep checking.

groulxsome

Post by groulxsome »

Ditto what Cass said. I probably left at around 7:30 last year and there wasn't really much of a line at all and there were still Cantillon kegs and lots of other tasty stuff. I remember looking out for a line to start forming around 6 or 6:30, but I don't remember seeing much. Then again, I was full of tasty sour beer.

I like the idea of identification!

Also, not sure Volo really promoted the heck out of the event since people on here yesterday were asking if tickets were still on sale today! There had only been one tweet/gram/FB about tickets last week and another an hour before ticket sales. And, unlike last year, there weren't articles in blogs/press talking as much about the event. I don't really know how they could have advertised it less, really.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

groulxsome wrote:Also, not sure Volo really promoted the heck out of the event since people on here yesterday were asking if tickets were still on sale today! There had only been one tweet/gram/FB about tickets last week and another an hour before ticket sales. And, unlike last year, there weren't articles in blogs/press talking as much about the event. I don't really know how they could have advertised it less, really.
Yeah, I kinda think it was most of us who snagged the tix, as there's barely been any chatter that I can see out there about it, unlike last year.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

groulxsome wrote:I like the idea of identification!
I'll do a bunch of buttons and have them for the first TBW events. I'll be wearing my new "Cass" TBW shirt so please find me and I'll give ya one!

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Cass wrote:
Cadbury102 wrote:Wow, 2 mins? Do tickets commonly sell out that fast for Zwanze?
Yeah, they sold out in a minute last year too. I don't think they sell as many tickets as capacity nowadays so there's breathing room in the bar (which is always nice). And I'm sure a number are held back for the participating brewers to attend.
I think I heard somewhere that there were only going to be 250 attendees and today they were selling 140 tickets. Which means 110 were held back for various reasons.