Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Zwanze Day 2014

Post details, reviews and recaps of interesting beer events in Ontario and elsewhere here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

ercousin wrote:Cool Amsterdam collaborated with Dieu du Ciel!
Pretty sure Bim is working in Japan mostly, so anything he does here is freelance, not associated with DDC
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

dale cannon wrote:
billverstein wrote:How about a case of Red Leaf aged in second use Holy Smoke stainless tanks?
I'll see your limited run Red Leaf and raise you an ashtray era Dead Elephant served piss warm in my dogs chewed up Frisbee.
You said you'd share that one.
In Beerum Veritas

ercousin

Post by ercousin »

Cass wrote:
JerCraigs wrote:Cass, I'll take a button at one of the the Indie TBW events if you have some :)
Done! Here's a prototype, with the slowly-being-rolled out new logo. Will also be available in retro BarTowel Blue :)

Cass, tried finding you at the Indie Homebrew Tap Takeover but no avail. I will try again at Zwanze. Hope I can grab a button! Met groulxsome, nice to finally meet some other bartowelers!

uno99

Post by uno99 »

rfrf wrote:http://blog.barvolo.com/post/9697496216 ... night-2014

full lineup for non Cantillon beers
Are all the non Cantillon beers available from 3:00 on?
@Wongafootball

aofe

Post by aofe »

uno99 wrote:
rfrf wrote:http://blog.barvolo.com/post/9697496216 ... night-2014

full lineup for non Cantillon beers
Are all the non Cantillon beers available from 3:00 on?
They were last year.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

i am not trying to rub salt into wounds. but today's announcement makes this possibly the best toronto beer event to date.

Tap list:
. House Ales X Shacklands (Raspberry Saison du Pigeon w/ Brett)
B. House Ales 25th Anniversary Blend (Bourbon Barrel Aged Barley Wine)
C. House Ales X Shacklands Flipside (Brett IPA w/Galaxy)
D. Bellwoods No Rest For The Wicked (Sour Stout)
E. Bellwoods Warp & Weft (Tequila Barrel Aged Berliner Weiss)
F. Amsterdam Divination #3 (Barrel Fermented 100% Golden Ale Aged 3 Years)
G. Amsterdam X Bim X House Ales Distraction (Sour With Fresh Ontario Peaches)
H. Amsterdam Sour Cherry Imperial Stout (Aged In Moldovian Cigar Barels)
I. Amsterdam Reserve Saison (Blend Of 8 Barrel Aged Saison & Brett Beers)
J. Indie Ale House Ned’s Stash Flanders (Flanders Red Aged In Wine Barrels)
K. Indie Ale House Sun Kicked XO (Imperial Wit Aged In Cognac Barrels)
L. Nickelbrook (To Be Announced)
M. Nickelbrook (To Be Announced)
N. Great Lakes X Bar Hop Gilligan Is Still Dead (Guava Saison On Brett B)
O. Les Trois Mousquetaires Gose (Sour Salty Wheat Beer)
P. Les Trois Mousquetaires Saison Brett (Belgian Saison With Brett.)
Q. Dunham Saison Reserve (Rustic Saison / Leo’s IPA Blend In Barrels w/ Brett.)
R. Dunham Assemblage No.1 (50/50 Pale Ale & Propolis In Wine Barrel w/ Brett.)
S. Brasserie Hopfenstark (To Be Announced)
T. Brasserie Hopfenstark (To Be Announced)
U. West Ave. Bohemian Raspberry (Barrel Fermented Raspberry Cider w/ Brett.)
V. West Ave. Schoolyard Crab (Barrel Aged Single Variety Crabapple w/ Brett.)
W. Spirit Tree Double Pagan (Crabapple Cider w/ Toasted Oak Chips & Sumac)
X. Muskoka “Buh-dunk-uh-dunk” (Wheat Sour Ale)
Y. Le Trou Du Diable (To Be Announced)
Z. Le Trou Du Diable (To Be Announced)
Last edited by atomeyes on Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

groulxsome

Post by groulxsome »

atomeyes wrote:Food: Porchetta&Co.
Isn't the Porchetta & Co. a Cask Days announcement? Can't see anywhere where is talks about them and ZD. I'd like to be wrong!

GreatCop

Post by GreatCop »

I thought I saw somewhere that they'd be serving special dishes from Volo's own kitchen, but I may have dreamt that.....

Also, the initial announcement from Volo (before tickets went on sale) said they'd have something from Dieu du Ciel, but I don't see them on that list

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

groulxsome wrote:
atomeyes wrote:Food: Porchetta&Co.
Isn't the Porchetta & Co. a Cask Days announcement? Can't see anywhere where is talks about them and ZD. I'd like to be wrong!
yep. me is dum.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

GreatCop wrote:I thought I saw somewhere that they'd be serving special dishes from Volo's own kitchen, but I may have dreamt that.....

Also, the initial announcement from Volo (before tickets went on sale) said they'd have something from Dieu du Ciel, but I don't see them on that list
This was in their ticket purchase link, but maybe the keg didn't make it, or being saved for something else, or served in bottles?
+ Funky Brews From The Following Breweries (Beer List TBA) Amsterdam, Great Lakes, Bellwoods Brewery, House Ales, Muskoka, Oast! House, Sawdust City, Nickelbrook, Shacklands, Indie Ale House, Dieu Du Ciel!, Le Trou Du Diable, Hopfenstark, Brasserie Dunham, Leelenau and Stillwater Artisan Ales

mixedup

Post by mixedup »

Still looking for a single ticket to this...help! :)

admviolin

Post by admviolin »

Cass wrote:
GreatCop wrote:I thought I saw somewhere that they'd be serving special dishes from Volo's own kitchen, but I may have dreamt that.....

+ Funky Brews From The Following Breweries (Beer List TBA) Amsterdam, Great Lakes, Bellwoods Brewery, House Ales, Muskoka, Oast! House, Sawdust City, Nickelbrook, Shacklands, Indie Ale House, Dieu Du Ciel!, Le Trou Du Diable, Hopfenstark, Brasserie Dunham, Leelenau and Stillwater Artisan Ales
The plus funky brews is bottles...last year they had a bottle pour station as well as the taps. Was great to try things I couldn't normally afford whole bottles of.

Anyone stressing about tickets, I would just line up for the doors at 7. Last year there was plenty left when they opened to the public, and very little line.

GreatCop

Post by GreatCop »

admviolin wrote:The plus funky brews is bottles...last year they had a bottle pour station as well as the taps. Was great to try things I couldn't normally afford whole bottles of.

Anyone stressing about tickets, I would just line up for the doors at 7. Last year there was plenty left when they opened to the public, and very little line.
Bottle pour station? Ah excellent, thanks for the heads up, hopefully they have the same setup this year.

As for not seeing DDC! on the list, it looks like Volo released the rest of the lineup today, and Solstice d'Ete will be making an appearance: http://blog.barvolo.com/post/9697496216 ... night-2014

mixedup

Post by mixedup »

Well, I'm still stressing. Last year the 'Zwanze' wasn't particularly stellar (this year sounds much better), and the tap list (i.e. Cantillon in particular) wasn't what it is this year. Will there still be some at 7pm? Sure. Will there be 2014 Zwanze and some of the others at 7pm? Probably not.

I'm mostly kicking myself for not refreshing the entire page…lame UI, but I should have known better, so in a way, it's my own fault. It pains me to show up at 7 and see everyone else enjoying themselves….like i'm an outsider at the school prom haha! :D

groulxsome

Post by groulxsome »

I think most people know it's bad beer karma to double dip the Zwanze. With like seven other Cantillon taps and probably the strongest Funk Night lineup ever, I'm not even sure what the book makers would put the odds on a particular keg blowing. Maybe the FF? I cannot imagine there will be much double dipping of anything, really, and, again this is probably $8 for a 4 oz pour of Cantillon vs $4 for 4 oz of Funk Night Stuff. Folks gotta budget!