Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Zwanze Day 2014

Post details, reviews and recaps of interesting beer events in Ontario and elsewhere here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

BakaGaijin

Post by BakaGaijin »

mixedup wrote:Well, I'm still stressing. Last year the 'Zwanze' wasn't particularly stellar (this year sounds much better), and the tap list (i.e. Cantillon in particular) wasn't what it is this year. Will there still be some at 7pm? Sure. Will there be 2014 Zwanze and some of the others at 7pm? Probably not.

I'm mostly kicking myself for not refreshing the entire page…lame UI, but I should have known better, so in a way, it's my own fault. It pains me to show up at 7 and see everyone else enjoying themselves….like i'm an outsider at the school prom haha! :D
Same thing happened to me....was distracted and was not refreshing the entire webpage. That UI was shit. Regardless, I'll be there for 7pm and I count on Cantillon still being available. I'm quite certaun there will be some left. I'm too lazy to do the math....but if you take how many ounces are in a keg and how many Cantillon kegs there are you will get the total volume of Cantillon on tap. Then divide by the number of people in attendance and you will find out how much Cantillon each person would have to drink to kill the kegs before 7pm.

mixedup

Post by mixedup »

groulxsome wrote:With like seven other Cantillon taps and probably the strongest Funk Night lineup ever, I'm not even sure what the book makers would put the odds on a particular keg blowing. Maybe the FF?
This. If I don't have FF on tap, I might die. Somebody save some for me….I'll be there at 7! ;)

napoleon

Post by napoleon »

I have sadly not been lucky enough to try most of the Cantillon beers that are on tap. Anyone have any tips or recommendations among the Cantillon tap list?

I've been lucky enough to try many of the other "Funky" beers on tap previously. I'll make 3 recommendations:
1) Amsterdam Divination #3: I had this a the Amsterdam/GLB brewery dinner at BarHop and was very impressed by it. The barrel-aging has done this beer well.

2) Indie AleHouse's Ned's Stache Flanders: I think this won the prize for most sour beer at the barrel-aged tasting. Really nice.

3) Hopfenstark Epilogue: This was my favorite fruity Berliner Weiss I've tried. The raspberry and sour were quite in balance, but it's been a year since I've tried it.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

surprised that no one's talked about the event.

the first hour had a line up, but that was expected. one bar was pouring Cantillons and the inside bar was local. So, naturally, all 100+ people were lining up for Zwanze and then getting back in line for more Cantillon.

while waiting for my Zwanze, i grabbed a pour of the West Ave raspberry cider. it was tart and tasty. washed it down quickly and then had the Zwanze. Faint cherry, grapefruit funk and a bitter lingering finish. it was neat and nice, but not a whale.
Lap 2 was for Fou'Foune. that was probably the 2nd most sought-after beer. i've had FF twice before. the first was an incredibly undrinkable bottle at BeerBistro (store it at cellar temp, please! it was battery acid and we couldn't finish the bottle). the second was at a restaurant in Brussels. This time, having it on draught, it was crisp and tart and tasty. the apricots meld in with the tartness, so you're not drinking an apricot beer per se, but you're drinking this lovely tart, funky, dry beer.
lap 3 was for the Cantillon gueuze. it's my favourite Cantillon beer and having it in Toronto, on tap, was a delight. clean and lemony with some pepper notes. so great.
we also had the Lou Pepe Gueuze (similar to the regular gueuze, but unblended and from 2010. so you get bigger pepper and sulphur notes. great beer, but i like my gueuze more fresh. this tastes more like Tilquin, IMO), Vignerone (probably my 2nd favourite Cantillon beer of the night!) and a sip of the Kriek (a nice beer, but you can't compare it to Lou Pepe Kriek if you try LP. night and day, with me loving LP) and then dollar-wise, i thought it would be best to call it quits. we're talking about $8 for a 2/3 of a wine glass pour.

we then worked on the local menu. Had the West Ave crabapple cider. It was too bretty for me, a bretthead. oh well.
had the Trou du Diable beer, which i liked very much. subtle funk, smooth drink. very nice.
Nickelbrook's Brown SixTwo had mixed reviews. It was a really aggressive-tasting oud bruin. not smooth. but i kind of liked it's mouthpunch. others didn't.
Bellwoods' Weft and Warp - i thought this was brilliant. the lacto had beautiful fruit notes to it. solid drink.
Les Trois Mousquetaires Saison Brett - clean brett finish. a very good but relatively unremarkable beer.
I tried the House Ales 25th anniversary blend and it was really nice.
also hd the Shacklands Saison du PIgeon. Raspberries were quite quiet. Think it was good. memory is blurry from drinking overload (not alcohol, but we tried a lot of beer).

The crowd was manageable. other than the initial line to get in, it took 10 min max to grab a beer from the Cantillon table.
People were let in starting at 5:30. so people, make a mental note. don't cry over not getting a ticket. just go before doors open and you'll get in. there are always a few no-shows and if the venue's under capacity, they will let people in. when we left at 8, the Cantillons were still pouring from the tap and there were still bottles left.

Props to the Moranas for making things work. Props to Jean for making Toronto part of Zwanze Day 2 years in a row. and thanks to the local brewers who've upped their ante from the first Funk Night (which was fun in name, but man, there were a lot of bad beer poured that night). i only heard one person complain about one beer beeing gross. i assume the rest were ranging from fine to great.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Awesome to have Cantillon on tap locally, if only for a brief fleeting moment.

An enjoyable time, and I was correct that most of the Cantillons were still on at public-open, so hopefully those who didn't get a ticket still came and tried some truly world-class beer.

A great close to TBW!

BakaGaijin

Post by BakaGaijin »

I showed up at 5:45 expecting to have to line-up for an hour and they just let me straight in.

Thought the Zwanze was very solid. I really enjoyed the St. Lamvinus. The best of the Cantillon I tried and favourite beer of the night. Also had the kriek and Vignerone.

Bellwoods Weft and Warp was my favourite local beer. I just loved the characteristics from aging in Tequila barrels. This beer was brilliant.

Peach Distraction was also very good and so was DDC Solstice d'ete.

yeanz

Post by yeanz »

Like everyone else, I enjoyed the event immensely! Besides the Cuvee Florian, my favourite offerings were Amsterdam Distraction with Peaches and Bellwoods Weft and Warp!

While I do not want to attract negative attention, I want to voice my dissatisfaction that I did not get to try the Fou Foune on tap. Before four o’clock I was informed that they were no longer serving the beer, in order to save enough for Funk Night. However, I know, and discussed with others that Fou Foune was being served to “select individuals”, after I was turned away.

As such, even though I’m very thankful for Bar Volo putting on the event, selecting who can, and who cannot have Fou Foune was a bit of a turn off for me, especially since I purchased a ticket, like everyone else attending the event.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

yeanz wrote: While I do not want to attract negative attention, I want to voice my dissatisfaction that I did not get to try the Fou Foune on tap. Before four o’clock I was informed that they were no longer serving the beer, in order to save enough for Funk Night. However, I know, and discussed with others that Fou Foune was being served to “select individuals”, after I was turned away.

As such, even though I’m very thankful for Bar Volo putting on the event, selecting who can, and who cannot have Fou Foune was a bit of a turn off for me, especially since I purchased a ticket, like everyone else attending the event.
my answer, and please don't be offended:

The bar owners own the bar. they can do whatever they like regardless of how you feel. if they want to pour it for select individuals, so be it. you should have and could have grabbed a pint at 3:30 like some of us (read: me) did.

if the owners bought me a pint of beer, would you complain that they didn't also buy you a pint?

Not sure how you heard about the "prefered treatment" thing and if it is true, but in the grand scheme of things, does it really matter? they can do what they like and you had the option of getting the most sought-after beer (people who like Cantillon gravitated to FouFoune off the bat and some were drinking it before the zwanze beer) early in the night. you didn't and you missed out. oh well. it's just a beer, dude.

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

"preferred treatment" aside, i did think it was a little sketchy to cut things off... it's one thing if you've got multiple ticketed sessions and need to try and save some for the next ticketed session, but cutting off ticketed folks to save some for non-ticketed... meh, that doesn't seem right to me. At least should have been advertised if that was the case, so folks knew it was going to happen and where to focus their attention, and/or limit folks to a single pour on the "ultra-rare" ones you intended to cut off (like Zwanze itself).

that's my one and only complaint from the event - and, for the record, i didn't miss out on anything as a result of the decision to cut things off, but i know many that did due to sampling inside and waiting for the lines to die down.
@grubextrapolate // @biergotter // http://biergotter.org/

A
Bar Fly

Post by A »

Popped by on Sunday afternoon - probably 90% of the local list was still on, and almost no people there for the most part.

Favorites were the Warp & Weft and the Indie Ned Flanders. The two Amsterdam blends were pretty nice also. The Hopfenstark Berliner Weisse looked and tasted exactly like grapefruit juice :)

uno99

Post by uno99 »

Great event.

I had about 5 'loons in quick succession. Highlight for me was actually the Zwanze. Very unique finish and one of the best beers I've ever had.

The 25th anniversary barlywine was a big hit with my group and I really enjoyed the bellwoods offerings as well. Wish I had more time and money to try more.

Overall well run, not overcrowded event and priced somewhat reasonably... Where else are you going to get a healthy pour of Fou or LP 2010 for $8?
@Wongafootball

FEUO

Post by FEUO »

atomeyes wrote:
yeanz wrote: While I do not want to attract negative attention, I want to voice my dissatisfaction that I did not get to try the Fou Foune on tap. Before four o’clock I was informed that they were no longer serving the beer, in order to save enough for Funk Night. However, I know, and discussed with others that Fou Foune was being served to “select individuals”, after I was turned away.

my answer, and please don't be offended:

The bar owners own the bar. they can do whatever they like regardless of how you feel. if they want to pour it for select individuals, so be it. you should have and could have grabbed a pint at 3:30 like some of us (read: me) did.

if the owners bought me a pint of beer, would you complain that they didn't also buy you a pint?

Not sure how you heard about the "prefered treatment" thing and if it is true, but in the grand scheme of things, does it really matter? they can do what they like and you had the option of getting the most sought-after beer (people who like Cantillon gravitated to FouFoune off the bat and some were drinking it before the zwanze beer) early in the night. you didn't and you missed out. oh well. it's just a beer, dude.
Sounds like an answer from someone getting preferred treatment.

I have no horse in this race. I did not have a ticket, try for a ticket, or attend the Funk Night hours. I have also not had FF and not sweating it if I never do.
It just doesn't sound good. People paid for the opportunity to try certain beers. To cut them off in favor of others who didn't pay doesn't sit well.
But you're right, it is their bar and their event.
Just have to let your wallet do the talking.

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

[quote="A"]Popped by on Sunday afternoon - probably 90% of the local list was still on(end quote)

I was there for a beautiful sunday aft right at 2 and had all these tasty beers referred to above in beautifl pours in appropriate glassware.
My favourite was the Amsterdam blended blond, masterful! Very grateful to try these beers in a relaxed environment. No tears for anything missed.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

FEUO wrote: Sounds like an answer from someone getting preferred treatment...
I have also not had FF and not sweating it if I never do...
But you're right, it is their bar and their event.
Just have to let your wallet do the talking.
i just planned to drink based on what i thought supply and demand would be.
should i also cry that, during past events, i've seen industry people in the bar and drinking the special beer before i could try it?
did i weep and rub ash in my hair because i missed a Rambic at Jolly Pumpkin's bar by literally one pour, and that pour was to an employee who'd been drinking it after work all week?

no. beer's beer and people should grow up and realize that. there were so many damn great beer to try and someone's complaining about FouFoune tapping out or people apparently getting "preferred treatment"?

perhaps it was being saved for Indie, Muskoka, Amsterdam and House Ales brewers who contributed to the event?
in the end: *shrug*

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

I don't really have a problem with a bar giving preferential treatment to preferred clients. Why shouldn't they be allowed to reward regular customers, suppliers, etc? It would be one thing if it were the Zwanze they set aside and people who paid tickets for it couldn't get their pour, but I don't think the average joe has any entitlement to half a keg if they choose not to serve it.