Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Zwanze Day 2014

Post details, reviews and recaps of interesting beer events in Ontario and elsewhere here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

napoleon

Post by napoleon »

I loved the event overall. Really great Cantillon beers on tap and in the bottle. Some weird sort of hoarding mentality hit the crowd and people would get right back in line after getting their beers. Shows how starved people here are for good beer. I personally decided to go enjoy the beers calmly with my friends.

I will second the negative part with the Fou Foune. I had just attempted to order it, and the friendly woman pouring said they were out. Right next to me is one of owner's sons. He apologizes that it's out and notes they're trying to save some for the people coming later. He then immediately instructs the woman to pour 4 of them and hands them to his friends. If you're going to do that at least try to be subtle about it.

Overall a good event aside from that bit of bad vibe.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

As always post the lineup and rules ahead of ticket sales so everyone knows what they're getting when they buy a ticket. This seems to be a frequent problem.

While I suppose the limiting of the Fou Foune for the public part of the evening is noble, I think it's generally accepted that it's tough luck for whatever is left for the public after a ticketed event. Ticket holders could have stayed until 7pm to have Fou Foune, yes? Probably would have been best to have given out a special ticket for that beer and limit the pour size until the public got in.

Special treatment is an interesting thing. We get some special treatment once in a while at a couple of places due to being good long time customers, frequently bring in people that have never been to those places before (usually resulting in new customers) and tipping the wait staff really well. It generally tends to be pretty low key which I think is the best way to do such things. That being said...

Preferential treatment can get annoying for things like letting friends of friends in to a so-called setup, ur, media event bypassing the patiently waiting public line. *ahem* There was a lot of that going on. I can think of one asshat group that wanted to bud in line, got rebuffed then waited until they were able to contact someone by phone then waltzed in.

But as owners they can do what they like. I as a customer will decide if I don't like whatever behaviour and take my money elsewhere if I see fit.
lister

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

napoleon wrote:I will second the negative part with the Fou Foune. I had just attempted to order it, and the friendly woman pouring said they were out. Right next to me is one of owner's sons. He apologizes that it's out and notes they're trying to save some for the people coming later. He then immediately instructs the woman to pour 4 of them and hands them to his friends. If you're going to do that at least try to be subtle about it.
Not very...bright. :-?
lister

BakaGaijin

Post by BakaGaijin »

lister wrote: Probably would have been best to have given out a special ticket for that beer and limit the pour size until the public got in.
In hindsight, I think having a special ticket for Fou Foune like they did for the Zwanze would have been the best thing to do. I'm a little surprised people are actually complaining about this though. I thought it was rather obvious that this would have been the most sought after beer. I didn't get any because I arrived late, however, if I was there at the beginning this would have been my first pour.

I'm just glad that the people at Volo have convinced Cantillon to have Zwanze Day in Toronto. This event was fantastic and the selection of beer was superb.

NRman
Bar Fly

Post by NRman »

napoleon wrote: If you're going to do that at least try to be subtle about it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dMoK48QGL8
;-)

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

BakaGaijin wrote:I thought it was rather obvious that this would have been the most sought after beer. I didn't get any because I arrived late, however, if I was there at the beginning this would have been my first pour.
I was more excited for Fou than Zwanze, honestly. The difference being, I think everyone expected to be served until the kegs blew rather than having them cutoff early. If they'd done that, chances are you'd have got your pour. Or if they'd told folks they were cutting things off to save for the non-ticketed part, then A) tickets wouldn't have been as scarce if you could walk in after hours for free and still get the most sought-after beers, B) everyone who wanted Fou would have started there... and half still would have missed out.

They cut off other things too (not just Fou Foune), bottles and kegs, none of which was advertised anywhere before tickets went on sale or at the event. If they'd advertised that they were saving a little of everything (except Zwanze) for the non-ticketed event, I'm betting lots of folks wouldn't have bothered with a ticket, and those who came would have known to get those beers early.
@grubextrapolate // @biergotter // http://biergotter.org/

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

I don't think they were actually saving anything for the non-ticketed event.

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

Craig wrote:I don't think they were actually saving anything for the non-ticketed event.
that's the reason they were giving at the time. if it's anything but this (ie: saving it for a chosen few instead of non-ticketed), then it's a far more questionable call. I can attempt to see noble intentions if they were trying to share the love with those who didn't get tickets, but saving it for any other reason just ain't kosher. Anyone know if it started being served to the public later?

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

grub wrote:
Craig wrote:I don't think they were actually saving anything for the non-ticketed event.
that's the reason they were giving at the time. if it's anything but this (ie: saving it for a chosen few instead of non-ticketed), then it's a far more questionable call. I can attempt to see noble intentions if they were trying to share the love with those who didn't get tickets, but saving it for any other reason just ain't kosher. Anyone know if it started being served to the public later?
I'm not bothered by them saving it for preferred customers.

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

Craig wrote:I'm not bothered by them saving it for preferred customers.
meh. even speaking as someone who's often been on the preferred side of the velvet rope, i still don't think that's right... but whatever. everyone can form their own opinion.

napoleon

Post by napoleon »

grub wrote:
We stayed until 7:45, and it was still "out". One of my other friends that stayed even later (8:30) checked and it was still not available.

Anyway, I feel bad grumbling about it, because I did in general enjoy the event. I just wish those that did not get to try it at all would have gotten a crack.

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

napoleon wrote:We stayed until 7:45, and it was still "out". One of my other friends that stayed even later (8:30) checked and it was still not available.

Anyway, I feel bad grumbling about it, because I did in general enjoy the event. I just wish those that did not get to try it at all would have gotten a crack.
yeah, i got to try all the things i wanted, just feeling for those that didn't get to try things. it was a great event and i had a good time, as at most everything the volo crew throws down. this just left a bad taste in my mouth.