Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Cask Days - Oct 24-26, 2014

Post details, reviews and recaps of interesting beer events in Ontario and elsewhere here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Great to see a Friday session, picked up a ticket. Then off to Ottawa on Saturday morning for our final Brewery Market of the year on Saturday!

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Session One and Two. Considered the baller pass again this year and decided two was enough this year. Gettin old ;) Looking forward to it!

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

i'm curious about the California kegs. Stone's coming, but will there be any other surprises?
i wouldn't be shocked if the Bruery was also represented. their stuff's all over Michigan, so it wouldn't be that much of a stretch.

groulxsome

Post by groulxsome »

atomeyes wrote:i'm curious about the California kegs. Stone's coming, but will there be any other surprises?
i wouldn't be shocked if the Bruery was also represented. their stuff's all over Michigan, so it wouldn't be that much of a stretch.
Judging from the Cask Ale LA page (http://www.caskalela.com/), they represent a few bigger brands but mostly smaller, local breweries. Here are a few names that seem to come up frequently: Stone, Epic Brewing, Eagle Rock Brewing, Absolution Brewing, Angel City Brewing, Karl Strauss Brew Pubs, Surf Brewery, Cismontane Brewing, The Bruery, Ladyface Ale Companie

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

Noone from our latest tasting is able to go.
Only the Sunday works for me as only the Friday aft session I was able to make by booking off. Since no Friday aft, no booking off.
Last edited by northyorksammy on Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

PeenSteen
Bar Fly

Post by PeenSteen »

I got a ticket for session 1, opted to get the early entry as well. Glad they offered early entry as an option, really good idea.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

From my experience last year, I'm assuming early entry means you might actually get some of the rarest stuff. I was lucky in that my buddy who got the last pour of courage shared it with me last go around, this year I'll be standing in front of the Cali casks from the moment I get in.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

PeenSteen wrote:I got a ticket for session 1, opted to get the early entry as well. Glad they offered early entry as an option, really good idea.
i was debating this.
last year, i went 30 min before opening. and we stood and stood and stood in line.
how many "special" tickets are available? what if you're standing in line for early entry? that one hr becomes 30 min. so is it still worth it?

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

atomeyes wrote:
PeenSteen wrote:I got a ticket for session 1, opted to get the early entry as well. Glad they offered early entry as an option, really good idea.
i was debating this.
last year, i went 30 min before opening. and we stood and stood and stood in line.
how many "special" tickets are available? what if you're standing in line for early entry? that one hr becomes 30 min. so is it still worth it?
I'm hoping it'll be worth the extra $10. There are times when more information would be helpful to make an informed decision. That was one of them, it would be nice to know just how many early tickets there are. It also would have been nice to know which sessions have which beers. Shave 15-20 years off me and I'd say "Fuck it!" and get the baller pass. Spirit willing, body ain't.

I wish beer events would post all the info ahead of ticket sales.

I was wrong last year about the UK beers being hit hard first but there's no way this year that won't be the case with the California beers.
lister

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Cask Days ‏@CaskDays 47m
Cask Days 2014 welcomes @Greenflashbeer to the California international brewery feature! #oncask @CaskAleLA

I guess we're going to find out the California breweries one at a time over the next month.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Going Friday, early access....really looking forward to this one, and seeing the more complete beer list as it gets closer.

A
Bar Fly

Post by A »

atomeyes wrote:
i was debating this.
What makes you think the wait in the regular line will be shorter? Don't be so bloody cheap :)

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

A wrote:
atomeyes wrote:
i was debating this.
What makes you think the wait in the regular line will be shorter? Don't be so bloody cheap :)
last year, they were apparently hit with a last-minute demand by security to ID everyone. that caused a bottleneck.

A
Bar Fly

Post by A »

What I'm saying is that, IMO, the line up wait is probably going to be less for the early entrance (due to fewer tickets) then the main entrance. So, in fact it's probably more than an hour extra, not less.

And I still maintain if you're thinking that hard about saving $10 then stop it already :D

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

A wrote:What I'm saying is that, IMO, the line up wait is probably going to be less for the early entrance (due to fewer tickets) then the main entrance. So, in fact it's probably more than an hour extra, not less.

And I still maintain if you're thinking that hard about saving $10 then stop it already :D
I'm going to disagree - go for the regular session times. Save your ten dollars for the beers I haven't yet drunk :)
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole