Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Cask Days - Oct 24-26, 2014

Post details, reviews and recaps of interesting beer events in Ontario and elsewhere here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Kish84 wrote:The Cask Days excel list is out.

Are the listings for what's available at which session correct? There's only 10 that are exclusively available at session 3, seemed there were a lot more last year.
Those session listings can't be finished yet. That's brutal for sessions two and three otherwise. Unless there's expected to be enough carry over between sessions.
lister

Kish84
Bar Fly

Post by Kish84 »

lister wrote:
Kish84 wrote:The Cask Days excel list is out.

Are the listings for what's available at which session correct? There's only 10 that are exclusively available at session 3, seemed there were a lot more last year.
Those session listings can't be finished yet. That's brutal for sessions two and three otherwise. Unless there's expected to be enough carry over between sessions.
Someone mentioned they serve a 1/3 of the cask for each session, not sure if that's true though.
"There's always money in the banana stand."

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Kish84 wrote:Someone mentioned they serve a 1/3 of the cask for each session, not sure if that's true though.
That is for the ALL session beers.

http://2014.caskdays.com/images/u19432-25.png
lister

GreatCop

Post by GreatCop »

I'm super confused. Is there a reason why it looks like 80% of the beers say Session #1?
I figured at least where Session #2 selling out first, the supply would be around the same.....I've only been going since 2012, and I admittedly haven't gone back to the previous years' schedules, but I don't seem to remember such a big discrepancy in session availability.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

I presume it is because it will be a physical impossibility for all the casks labelled "session 1" to actually be emptied during session 1, so lots of those will carry over to 2 and 3. Don't forget one of the (perfectly understandable) goals of the organizers is to not end up with a lot of beer at the end of the weekend. In the old days you could just go to Volo the following week and finish it off, but now anything left after Sunday gets poured.

Keep6 Imports

Post by Keep6 Imports »

Hi Everyone,

We have added a note on our website that will hopefully bring some clarity to this. http://2014.caskdays.com/oncask

The casks that we are tapping on Sessions #2 and #3 are just new beers being added to the program. Most of the beers being tapped on session #1 will be available during #2 and #3. Of course, some of the more popular beers might not make it. Our goal is to find a balance between a strong availability of beers at each session but also selling out. Because of our SOP license and the nature of cask beer, we cannot transport any leftovers to sell elsewhere. We are trying to sell everything out.

All leftovers from sessions #1, #2 and #3 will be available on Sunday, October 26th from 12-6pm at Evergreen Brickworks. Admission is $5.00 at the door plus the purchase of a festival glass ($5.00). If you have a glass from the ticketed sessions, you can bring this and avoid paying for another. This session is also all ages. Im planning to release the leftover list Sunday morning through social media.

Cheers
KEEP6 IMPORTS
Imported Goods

http://keep6imports.com
info@keep6imports.com
@keep6imports on Twitter

skaghevn

Post by skaghevn »

Due to the ever popular unforeseen circumstances, I have a pair of Session 3 tickets (Saturday, 8pm -1am) available. PM if interested.

*edit: tickets sold*

Automatic

Post by Automatic »

I have 2 early admission tickets to Session 3 (Saturday night, 7PM to 1AM) that I'd like to trade for 2 Session 1 tickets (Friday night, 7PM to midnight) if anyone is looking to switch times.

Due to some unforeseen scheduling conflicts, we won't be able to attend on Saturday night.

PM me or tweet at me (@scott_TO) for details. I'm willing to meet up in downtown Toronto to trade.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

The owner of one of the top US beer bars will happen to be in Toronto on Saturday.
It would be great if we could get him into Cask Days.
if someone has an extra ticket, kindly let me know.

thanks

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

atomeyes wrote:The owner of one of the top US beer bars will happen to be in Toronto on Saturday.
It would be great if we could get him into Cask Days.
if someone has an extra ticket, kindly let me know.

thanks
ugh
:roll:

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

I'm unable to go to Caskdays so I have a ticket to sell for Saturday afternoon, regular entry, at cost, which was $37.74

If you're in the Guelph area we can trade in person otherwise payment via PayPal and I'll email the ticket. Cheers!

EDIT: ticket taken.
Last edited by MatttthewGeorge on Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
untappd/instacrap/facebitch/snapitychat/etc: @matttthewgeorge

robinvboyer

Post by robinvboyer »

Anyone know if we have to produce an actual printed copy of our tickets? or is showing the bar code via our phones enough?

skootles

Post by skootles »

Given that the tickets were distributed digitally (I've got mine in Passbook on my phone) I'd say presenting your phone would be just fine.

Kish84
Bar Fly

Post by Kish84 »

IPA CHALLENGE ROUND 1, 2 AND 3 WILL BE SCORED BLIND BY A
PANEL OF SELECT JUDGES DURING SESSIONS 1 AND 2.

FINAL FOUR WILL BE SCORED BY PUBLIC VOTE DURING SESSION 2,3
AND 4 OR UNTIL BEER RUNS OUT.

BEERS THAT HAVE BEEN ELIMINATED IN EACH ROUND WILL BE DISCLOSED AND BECOME AVAILABLE FOR ORDERING BY THE 5OZ OR 10OZ POUR.

SESSION 1 WILL START WITH 18 BEERS AND SESSION 2 WILL START WITH 26 BEERS AVAILABLE TO TRY.

It looks like only the Final 4 will be done blind in Session 3 and some of Session 2.
"There's always money in the banana stand."

beerguykw

Post by beerguykw »

Hey guys

I'm coming down to T.O. This weekend unexpectedly, if by chance there are two tickets out there for Saturday afternoon, shoot me a pm. I'd meet pretty much anywhere between kitchener and downtown.

Thanks