Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

McGregor Mug Run September 13th

Post details, reviews and recaps of interesting beer events in Ontario and elsewhere here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

icemachine
Beer Superstar

McGregor Mug Run September 13th

Post by icemachine »

http://www.mcgregormugrun.com/

McGregor Mug Run is a 5km Run and Craft Beer Festival in Essex County

The last two years were organized as 5k run and this year it is expanding to include the beer fest

A dozen breweries are lined up to serve including Flying Monkeys, King, Highlander, Block 3, Forked River and Midian

Disclosure: A friend from the Brew York home brew club is organizing this event.
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

Nice.

ECBS

Post by ECBS »

Already registered! Excited to see what some of these new/up and coming breweries bring with them. Any other BT'ers attending this fine event?

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

nice! ah, mcgregor... my mom was the postmaster there for like 10 years, and i used to pass through on my way to high school every day... fun times...

alas, i can't make it down for the event. perhaps another time.
@grubextrapolate // @biergotter // http://biergotter.org/

jajg4324

Post by jajg4324 »

Planing on making my way out there. Does any anybody know the actual number of breweries attending? Three on that list aren't open yet.

ECBS

Post by ECBS »

jajg4324 wrote:Planing on making my way out there. Does any anybody know the actual number of breweries attending? Three on that list aren't open yet.
The Mug Run page says 11 breweries will be participating: Lonsbery, Block 3, Railway City, Forked River, Thornbury, Midian, Flying Monkeys, Bayside, brew, Highlander, and King.

I know Lonsbery was already pouring a few different beers at Explore the Shore at the end of July (if memory serves, an IPA, a vanilla porter, and a couple others - maybe a blonde or dark ale, and a lager, or something...hoping so see some more creative offerings at the Mug Run!).

As for Midian and brew, I'm not sure what they'll be doing if they're not licensed to brew yet.

Either way, I can say that I'm interested to see what Midian's brew plans are for the future.

As for "brew", I'm not so hopeful (although I wish them every success and hope they somehow prove me wrong). From what I've read, the two brothers behind this venture aren't brewers themselves, but rather previous restaurant and nightclub owners. Apparently, their plan is to offer "a standard lager at the outset to appeal to a wide clientele". They go on to say: “That’s where I think we are going to differ from the other breweries, we’re going to do something a little smoother drinking, not quite as hoppy." and "“If you can’t get drunk off our beer because you can only drink a few of them, then we didn’t do the job properly." After year one, the brothers plan to introduce a chocolate stout as a seasonal brew to recognize the history of the building (once a chocolate factory).

(Source: http://urbanitenews.com/2014/01/28/tapping-micro-brew/)

While this may appeal to a certain segment of beer drinkers, I certainly am not one of them. Oh, and this is the bottle they've designed to house their "standard lager":

http://media.zuza.com/3/7/37bee475-d421 ... ontent.jpg

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

There are kinds of blue glass (such as http://www.matweb.com/search/datasheett ... eb57eb17b4) that block UV rays. Maybe that's what they're planning? Maybe....yeah, probably not.

ECBS

Post by ECBS »

squeaky wrote:There are kinds of blue glass (such as http://www.matweb.com/search/datasheett ... eb57eb17b4) that block UV rays. Maybe that's what they're planning? Maybe....yeah, probably not.
Haha either way, the bottle design screams emphasis on marketing.

brew brews blue brews by the seashore...

jajg4324

Post by jajg4324 »

ECBS wrote:
jajg4324 wrote:Planing on making my way out there. Does any anybody know the actual number of breweries attending? Three on that list aren't open yet.
The Mug Run page says 11 breweries will be participating: Lonsbery, Block 3, Railway City, Forked River, Thornbury, Midian, Flying Monkeys, Bayside, brew, Highlander, and King.

I know Lonsbery was already pouring a few different beers at Explore the Shore at the end of July (if memory serves, an IPA, a vanilla porter, and a couple others - maybe a blonde or dark ale, and a lager, or something...hoping so see some more creative offerings at the Mug Run!).

As for Midian and brew, I'm not sure what they'll be doing if they're not licensed to brew yet.

Either way, I can say that I'm interested to see what Midian's brew plans are for the future.

As for "brew", I'm not so hopeful (although I wish them every success and hope they somehow prove me wrong). From what I've read, the two brothers behind this venture aren't brewers themselves, but rather previous restaurant and nightclub owners. Apparently, their plan is to offer "a standard lager at the outset to appeal to a wide clientele". They go on to say: “That’s where I think we are going to differ from the other breweries, we’re going to do something a little smoother drinking, not quite as hoppy." and "“If you can’t get drunk off our beer because you can only drink a few of them, then we didn’t do the job properly." After year one, the brothers plan to introduce a chocolate stout as a seasonal brew to recognize the history of the building (once a chocolate factory).

(Source: http://urbanitenews.com/2014/01/28/tapping-micro-brew/)

While this may appeal to a certain segment of beer drinkers, I certainly am not one of them. Oh, and this is the bottle they've designed to house their "standard lager":

http://media.zuza.com/3/7/37bee475-d421 ... ontent.jpg
I went to lonsbery for explore the shore and they only had root beer they made themselves. I did talk to Karl and he said they were going to be putting up a 26000sqft building in the field out back and were planing on 6 taps going at once as well as cider from apples just down the road.

That sucks about brew I was hoping for more from them, I must have missed that article.

Anyways I'm happy to have something with great beer all of 20 minutes from my house.

jajg4324

Post by jajg4324 »

I never got a chance to make it out today. How did it turn out?

ECBS

Post by ECBS »

jajg4324 wrote:I never got a chance to make it out today. How did it turn out?
The event itself was really well-planned, and for $5 they'd send a van to your house to pick you up and then drop you back off at the end of the night. Unfortunately, the beer selection wasn't all that great. Most of the breweries had 2 taps, and Midian, Lonsbery and brew weren't even there! Oh well, it was a fun day nonetheless, and I'm guessing it'll only get better.

SRM

Post by SRM »

Everyone in our group enjoyed themselves. A shame some of the breweries were no shows, but there was still good beer to be found. Beer does always taste better after a run though.