Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

A Night With Great Lakes & Amsterdam @Bar Hop - Sept 19

Post details, reviews and recaps of interesting beer events in Ontario and elsewhere here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Bar_Hop

A Night With Great Lakes & Amsterdam @Bar Hop - Sept 19

Post by Bar_Hop »

The collective teams at Bar Hop, Great Lakes & Amsterdam are very excited to invite you to a TOTAL TAP TAKEOVER on Friday, September 19th at 5pm as part of Toronto Beer Week. Come taste 38 top notch, unique brews that brewmasters Iain McOustra & Mike Lackey have personally selected from the cellars as well as multiple beers they’ve collaborated on with each other and with the Bar Hop team. Additionally Bar Hop chef Adam Bell has created six special small plates that will be featured alongside these special beers. The draught list will be released at the rate of seven beers per day starting on the Monday leading up to the event.

WHERE: Bar Hop, 391 King St. West

WHEN: Friday, September 19th @5PM

COST: Free

EXTRA SPECIAL BONUS: The first 100 customers through the door will receive a FREE 14oz screen printed tulip glass made specially for the event.

Hope to see you all there!
Last edited by Bar_Hop on Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Awesome! We'll be there... but on the 19th methinks. :-)
lister

Bar_Hop

Post by Bar_Hop »

lister wrote:Awesome! We'll be there... but on the 19th methinks. :-)
I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT :wink:

napoleon

Post by napoleon »

This could be fun. I really enjoyed their brewery dinner they did back in the winter. I've been very pleasantly surprised by the craft beers Amsterdam is capable of. I was only familiar with their more mass-market efforts, so I was quite surprised by their one-off's.

rfrf

Post by rfrf »

There better be some Double Tempest

DarcyK

Post by DarcyK »

Unless I get hit by a bus I will be there, likely at 5 sharp. Hope to see several barrel-aged and sours. Last GLB tap takeover was nothing short of excellent.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Sounds like a well planned and potentially very fun event....adding it to my beer schedule!

Bar_Hop

Post by Bar_Hop »

First of the 38 taps we'll be pouring on Friday!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

^ barhop, is there any special reason to go there at lunch Friday or is this an insane busy after 5pm packed bar thing? ;) Fun either way but had to ask. Thanks so much.
In Beerum Veritas

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

lister wrote:Awesome! We'll be there... but on the 19th methinks. :-)
Fixed. :wink:

liamt07
Bar Fly

Post by liamt07 »

Bar_Hop wrote:First of the 38 taps we'll be pouring on Friday!

These all sound terrible. No one drink any of these.

(until I get there)
(maniacal laugh)

Bar_Hop

Post by Bar_Hop »

Here's the draught list so far:

1. Amsterdam Cruiser - North American Pale ale with Citra. 4.9% ABV

2. Amsterdam Autumn Hop - Wet Hop IPA with local Cascade. 6.2% ABV

3. Amsterdam Testify - All Brett Claus Pale with Galaxy. 6.2% ABV

4. Amsterdam Starke Pils - Unfiltered Pilsner dry hopped with Saaz. 5.4% ABV

5. Amsterdam TBW Farmhouse - Farmhouse ale with Galaxy and Brett Brux. 6% ABV

6. Amsterdam Reserve Saison (2014)- A blend of fresh and barrel aged saison and brett beers. 6% ABV.

7. Amsterdam x Bar Hop Brett Bier De Garde - 100% Brett Lambicus fermentation in a Southbrook Cab Franc barrel and aged for 10 months. Secondary with brettanomyces bruxellensis. 7% ABV

8. Amsterdam El Jaguar (2014) - Double Tempest aged in Buffalo Trace barrels with cacao nibs and chiles. 14 % ABV

9. Amsterdam Full City Double Tempest (2014) - Double Tempest aged in Buffalo Trace barrels with Hawaiian Kona coffee. 14% ABV

10. Amsterdam x Great Lakes Brett Maverick and Gose - A Leipziger Gose, 100% fermented with Brett Brux Trois in a Flat Rock Chardonnay barrel. Aged for 2.5 years. 6% ABV

11. Amsterdam x Great Lakes Fugue - A collaboration with Great Lakes and winemaker Andrea Glass. A Farmhouse Ale with Brett Brux brewed with 100L of ice wine juice and aged for one year. 10% ABV

12. Great Lakes x Amsterdam x Bar Hop Misdemeanor - 100% Brett Claus fermented Session Ale. 4% ABV

13. Great Lakes 25th Anniversary RIS (2012) - Imperial stout aged in Buffalo Trace barrels. 10.5% ABV

14. Great Lakes x Bar Hop Hanlan's Point - North American porter with coffee & coconut. 6.5% ABV.

15. Great Lakes x Bar Hop Gilligan Is Still Dead (Brett) - Saison with guava fermented with Brettanomyces Bruxellensis for 10 months. 5.5% ABV.

16. Great Lakes No Chance With Miranda - Belgian Saison. 5.5% ABV.

17. Great Lakes Long Dong Pilsner - North American style Pilsner. 5% ABV.

18. Great Lakes Apricot Tart Pinot - Belgian grisette with apricots aged in pinot noir barrels. 4% ABV.

19. Great Lakes Saison Du Pump - Farmhouse Ale w/ Pumpkin. 5.5% ABV.

20. Great Lakes Canuck - North American Pale Ale. 5.0% ABV.

21. Great Lakes x Bar Hop Sweet Zombie Jesus! - Peanut Butter Milk Stout. 5.5% ABV.

And for those wondering about food for the evening here is the menu our chef Adam Bell designed for the night and our suggestion of roughly what style of beer to pair it with:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/ ... e41eccc498
Last edited by Bar_Hop on Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Sure, but where are the one-offs?

jrenihan

Post by jrenihan »

The draught list "so far".
Yikes.
Ren

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Highly recommend the Amsterdam x Great Lakes Brett Maverick and Gose. Had a pint of it at Morgans the other day and it was a definite 5 star. Maybe even the best beer I've had this year.