Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Uncorked-Wine and Spirits Appreciation

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

The 'Bo have a Faustino VII Reserva (as opposed to the Gran Reserva) in their regular listings that's like 13 bucks. Anyone ever tried it? I think I'll give it a shot the next time I have to take a bottle of plonk to the in-laws or something.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Craig wrote:The 'Bo have a Faustino VII Reserva (as opposed to the Gran Reserva) in their regular listings that's like 13 bucks. Anyone ever tried it? I think I'll give it a shot the next time I have to take a bottle of plonk to the in-laws or something.
Be curious to try it, that's a much younger wine by 9 years so I would surmise the grape selection would be less critical, and they'd use the best harvest for the longer-ageing Riserva sourced from the plots yielding the most character, fermentable sugars and flavor density, not to mention the most elaborate treatment.
In Beerum Veritas

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

My understanding is that anything with the reserva label should, by convention, have some attention paid to grape selection and whatnot, where the Gran's are normally the best of the best. As far as I know, the only guarantees that come with the labels are a minimum amount of time on oak and in bottle, but gran reserva are usually aged well beyond that minimum whereas regular reserva are released much closer to the minimum age.

So yeah, everything you said. Plus less oak. But at a third the price, it might be a good value anyway.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Sounds right, and the cost difference may come down to a wine with slightly better bones + storage costs, ie. not necessarily a result that strikes you as three times as good. We're very hung up in our culture with wine prices, names and reviewer scores (criteria often defining scarcity) but this is not really a way to measure enjoyment. Some of the best wines you may ever like aren't expensive, or the grape isn't trendy yet.
In Beerum Veritas

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

That's actually a big part of why I gravitate towards Spanish reds. I mean I love Barolo, cndp, Bordeaux and Brunello, but I don't love paying 50 bucks a bottle.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Spain is killing it in the great tasting/undervalued category, so much so that eg. the French are having trouble selling their wine to France because everyone's buying cheaper Spanish imports. My family in Germany buy Spanish red by the case for 20-something Euros, and it's much like a nice Tempranillo blend, something the LCBO would never let out of the bag here for a really affordable price. ;)

In Beerum Veritas

jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

sofakingdrunk wrote:http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo/product/new-ho ... NgiKi6KUxI

Anybody have any insight into this? I'm not a bourbon fan, generally, but this sounds interesting.
it's terrible

jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

Belgian wrote:Spain is killing it in the great tasting/undervalued category, so much so that eg. the French are having trouble selling their wine to France because everyone's buying cheaper Spanish imports. My family in Germany buy Spanish red by the case for 20-something Euros, and it's much like a nice Tempranillo blend, something the LCBO would never let out of the bag here for a really affordable price. ;)

appreciate your work in this thread, Belgian. i've tried a couple of your recs and really enjoyed them. agree with you on Spanish and Argentinian wines completely.

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Suppin' a great value Priorat wine tonight; Clos Roja Balanced Finish 2009. Bags of cherry, strawberry, blueberry & blackberry, with a hint of dark chocolate. Velvety tannins, with a lovely cherry like acidic finish.

And all for $22.00. It's comparable, in quality, to the $35.00 Priorat we bring in!!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Belgian wrote:Again North Rhone:

Saint Desirat Saint Josef 2010 (Syrah) - really good. Has strong character and expresses the grape well, still very approachable. Far from a pot of aussie jam.

Quite a few Northern / Southern Rhones to check out.
Another one of these. ^ Good Syrah-based Rhone, 1.5 years on!! Still have one more bottle to keep a year or two. Very French attitude, and approachable, it might last many years still but doubt I'll find out. Enjoyed with grilled prime rib (what else?) this time rubbed with salt, fg pepper, fresh minced rosemary and finely grated garlic… WOW! Next time I double the rosemary, use 1//3 or so more garlic and dry-marinate that sucker for 24 hours to absorb the excellent flavors.
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Finca El Origen Reserva Torrontés 2014

Very nice full refined White for sixteen dollars, showing voluptuous fruit under decent dryness plus some herbs and florals. Around the edges some mystique of spices, mineral, even bubblegum makes this a fun and solid quaff. Go, Argentina!
In Beerum Veritas

AugustusRex

Post by AugustusRex »

Montecillo Reserva 2006 is great. It probably is at its peak right now.

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Had the pleasure of trying a new, rare vintage port we've just brought into the Alberta market; Krohn 1965 Vintage Port.

Amazingly delicate in aromas and flavours. Has the appearance of an aged Tawny. Sun dried raisins, caramel, molasses, treacle toffee, hints of red fruits, slight fruity sourness. Gentle oxidation, long, slight alcohol burn on the finish. Absolutely delicious!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Allimant Laugner Crémant D'Alsace Rosé Brut (would check back as currently unavailable, 19.95)
A very fine example of the true Champagne-style French wines (Crémant) made in other regions of France using other grapes & and that offer extreme value. Salmon color from limited contact with the skins of the Pinot Noir grape. Tart complex strawberry. This one is full bright and zingy with lots of tart tangy-sweet fruit, and even some soft spice on the back. Almost Jolly Rancher-like entertaining sourness, a delight to drink.

Other than Champagne, Crémant D'Alsace is the most-consumed sparkler in France. Wish I had more of this actually!

(You can ask at the Sparkling Wines section in LCBO Vintages for another good available Crémant D'Alsace & any other reputable Crémant wines, all of which are bottle fermented to produce carbonation just like Champagne. You will be a wine rock star.)
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Belgian wrote:Blaignan Medoc 2010
decent value. A nicely-structured red showing the 60/40 Cab-Merlot blend really well with some gentle oak, and I really like it. May age a few if I can keep my hands off them; the tannins are already approachable.
Another one of these, really nice! But all gone now. With some locally-made Cannoli in tomato sauce, nice.
In Beerum Veritas