Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Uncorked-Wine and Spirits Appreciation

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Chateau Peyros Madiran Vielle Vignes 2009, an amazing cellar-stocker and value with the long-lived Tannat grape from this region in SW France.

Still somewhat obtainable, has tannins you can feel but can drink now or wait 5-6 years.
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Norton Reserva 2011 Malbec, a very decent Argentine red with ripe raspberry and spice and black plum. Not wild about this style (Cahors I maybe like better?) but this is an attractive WS 92 pointer for an okay price at 17 bones. I cooked with part of it, the beef was excellent.

Aydie L'Origine Madiran 2010, Not bad with French sass and dryness paired to a bit of tannic acid. The blending (some would say dilution) with 30% 'Cabernets' (Franc??) is what makes this one curiously approachable and less like an old-school Madiran (which would have more tannins and age for decades if you wanted.) A hybrid freak if you will. The palate is kind of nice, the dark fruit is like both black berry fruit and some zingy sour cherry. Interesting to see Aydie play with the grape in a different way, aiming for the drink-soon market. Another reasonably-priced '92' (WE) this one for 15.95. May have bought the 2010 a year or two ago, the 2011 reportedly fares well.
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Altivitis Ventoux 2011, a Grenache-leaning Rhone red from the south.

Very worth a try, as most Rhone reds are… and I like Grenache up front but you do get the velety fruit and spice I associate with French Syrah. Wine has a certain dark berry-encased warmth with a gently tannic structure, set off with a graceful seam of acidity and light tartness. Easy to like. Cool hologram on centre of label, maybe to attract youthful drinkers.
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Faustino I Gran Reserva 2001, 2nd of two bottles, this 100-scoring wine is still pretty available if you want to try it.

The first sip is pretty basic, a well put together and graceful although seemingly simple wine. No immediate powerful impression. But it builds very quickly over a few sips (and you can cool the bottle down a bit) to display a lot of cherry-berry fruit and a pleasing bit of racy acidity, some toasty French oak. This is the Tempranillo you might rarely see, saying many are good but this one has a lot going on.

If you equate sheer power with ^ wine price/score, this is not for you. Maybe! But Faustino GR one offers a lot of subtlety and complexity. An equivalent Burgundy at the LC would set you back the full amount you might spend on a nice dinner out, while this treat is just the price of borderline decent Masi at the Rivoli. So trying a top-flight Rioja is a lot of fun, especially in this warmer (OK - very mixed) weather of late.

Again I like the maturity and development of this wine which is a trait you don't get in that many bottles you don't age yourself. For the cash you really could just buy a Barbaresco with more ka-blamm, or you could broaden your palate (I'm even buying more white wines lately, not to mention the essential Rosé stuff from the south of France, delicious and perfect on a nice day.)
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Gassier Sables d'Azur Rosé 2014, apretty good southern French Rosé in a curvy bottle which will account for some of its sales. It's nice but you might find slightly better Rosé for under twenty bones, or even a nice fizzy Crémant. Still a fine pick if you need something to chill down & serve up with grilled bratwurst. Rosé is the right stuff for spring and summer.

* Edit *
I find this has weirdly improved after a few days in the fridge, offering tart dry fruit. Maybe this is a good one to pour into a flask and leave in the fridge for a few hours to breathe, to harmonize the flavors and bring forward the acidity.
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Carte Noire Rosé 2014, another really nice mini-vacation to Provénce, the land of wavy-shaped bottles. I'm getting hints of sweet wild strawberry besides the promised zingy acidity, herbals melon peach and cherry. Maybe a good notch better than the Gassier, you could say.

Also picked up at the 'Bo:
a De Chanceny Cremant de Loire Rose Brut, seem to recall this is a decent Cabernet Franc bubbly well worth the 18 bucks.
and a Château d'Aquéria Tavel 2014, another one from the South of France, in this case Tavel which is Southern Rhone and is a wine featuring predominantly Grenache and Cinsault that I imagine for my liking will go over rather well!
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Pey de Pont Cru Bourgeois Medoc Bordeaux 2010, from the 'stunning and affordable' vintage of Cru Bourgeois.

It's a very complete Bordeaux with a typical Half Cab Sauv&Franc / Half Merlot blend the region is classic for. Pey de Pont's decently structured and even a bit juicy, ready to enjoy now. Not a ton of unique character, and neither is it an outright steal at $22 bucks, this is just very good. And going fast if you hate to miss out.
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

De Chanceny Cremant de Loire Rose Brut
A nice surprise from the LC, nicely dry and very tasty with tart strawberry and sweet apple. A good 'Champagne-alike' for an everyday price, especially for a hot day. The Cabernet Franc is extremely appealing here, and this one is general list to boot.

I also got some sparkling Vouvray Vaugondy I'm sure I've enjoyed before, Chenin Blanc gives it a lively acidity and crispness that stands out. I will have to grill some fatty fish soon.

And... some bottles of Cremant de Bourgogne, the most famous stand-in for Champagne. Louis Bouillot makes respected and extremely popular ones like this Rosé, and it's moving fast at some stores so grab it quick. Pinot Noir grape here, a good Burgundy made in Champagne method for 20 bucks, no brainer.
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Château d'Aquéria Tavel 2014 from the South of France, Tavel featuring predominantly Grenache and Cinsault - really tasty and solid, berry flavors and great dry profile. I think a new favorite with the deep Salmon color and tart strawberry sass.
In Beerum Veritas

Ukie
Bar Fly

Post by Ukie »

Belgian wrote:Château d'Aquéria Tavel 2014 from the South of France, Tavel featuring predominantly Grenache and Cinsault - really tasty and solid, berry flavors and great dry profile. I think a new favorite with the deep Salmon color and tart strawberry sass.

Belgian, tried this one yet, remember you being a Tannat fan:

http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo/product/1907-m ... bppek1Viko

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Ukie wrote:[Belgian, tried this one yet, remember you being a Tannat fan:
Never tried it, good? I wouldn't necessarily pass on it but there might be more traditional Madirans.

* Edit * a few words on it would be cool.
Last edited by Belgian on Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In Beerum Veritas

Ukie
Bar Fly

Post by Ukie »

Belgian wrote:
Ukie wrote:[Belgian, tried this one yet, remember you being a Tannat fan:
Never tried it, good? I wouldn't necessarily pass on it but there might be more traditional Madirans.
Just came in about a week ago, only 1 store in my area so will have to pick it up next time I'am out that way.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Louis Bouillot Perle d'Aurore Brut Rosé Crémant de Bourgogne - basically a nice quality Champagne-like wine from Burgundy.

Definite tart berry fruit, I taste cherry also. Some intense tart cherry acidity and full-tasting, neither excessively dry nor sweet. Worth every nickel. Beautiful clunky bottle adds the festive touch.
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Guadalupe 2010 Red from Portugal / VINTAGES

Plush ripe fruit hits with a black/red berry sweetness lined with silky tannins and a good seam of acidity. Nice (never cloying) oak leans in on the finish, letting you appreciate the long palate of berry and black plum, mineral, and supporting vanilla. Wisp of tar and leather, invisible alcohol but for a warm feel and decent body. An astonishing wine for $16.95, and probably way out of its price class. Just delicious.
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Pegos Claros 2010 Red from Portugal, in Vintages.

Another total win. Juicy and concentrated with good structure while being approachable now, or would evolve in the cellar. I'm giving this and other regions of Portugal a serious look with wines like this and especially the Guadalupe.

Lan 2010 Rioja Crianza, a nice varietal Tempranillo from Spain.

Has a lot of integration and maturity for a not expensive price. Medium flavor impact and body, will not overwhelm your summer guests.
In Beerum Veritas