Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Toronto Visitors - Cocktail Recommendations

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

AugustusRex

Toronto Visitors - Cocktail Recommendations

Post by AugustusRex »

I am taking some family out, and I am looking for places in Toronto that take cocktails seriously. Any recommendations would be helpful.

Bonus points for finding a place with a great whisky and/or beer list for me (I don't drink cocktails).

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

The best cocktail places in Toronto that I know of:

BarChef
Furlough
Linwood Essentials
Spirithouse
Cocktail Bar (across from Black Hoof, haven't been to yet)

Linwood Essentials covers your bonus points with an extensive beer bottle list and would have some good whiskys.
Furlough has some beer. It's the restaurant sister of BarChef.
Extra bonus points, Furlough and Linwood Essentials are right next to each other. Black Hoof Cocktail Bar is a 12 minute walk through Trinity Bellwoods park from them.

Some unusual choices:

Bar Hop. Six cocktails. Well made. Pretty good whiskey selection. We all know about the beer.
Voodoo Child. A coffee shop that also does some pretty damn good bourbon cocktails.

I'd be interested in knowing other people's favourites.
lister

napoleon

Post by napoleon »

Lister already hit many of the highlights...
Cocktail Bar is probably one of the best.
TTS is where I've had the best cocktails in Toronto, but you need someone with a membership.
Origin Bar further east on King/Church has some surprisingly good bartenders
Cold Tea is a unique option. It has some novelty points as a dive bar hidden in an unmarked door and a nice patio. Half of the bartenders can make great cocktails. The other half can't. Usually 1-2 decent beers on tap.

A place with good beer and whisky is Habits Gastropub, where one of our members is doing the brewing. Having sat at the bar, the bar staff have no idea what they're doing with cocktails though. Also food was a bit meh. The other place I know of with a huge whisky selection is the Caledonian. I don't really recall if they had any cocktails though.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Going East you can try The Comrade or County General. County General has a Queen West location too.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

napoleon wrote:Lister already hit many of the highlights...
Cocktail Bar is probably one of the best.
TTS is where I've had the best cocktails in Toronto, but you need someone with a membership.
Origin Bar further east on King/Church has some surprisingly good bartenders
Cold Tea is a unique option. It has some novelty points as a dive bar hidden in an unmarked door and a nice patio. Half of the bartenders can make great cocktails. The other half can't. Usually 1-2 decent beers on tap.

A place with good beer and whisky is Habits Gastropub, where one of our members is doing the brewing. Having sat at the bar, the bar staff have no idea what they're doing with cocktails though. Also food was a bit meh. The other place I know of with a huge whisky selection is the Caledonian. I don't really recall if they had any cocktails though.
The TTS owner is a scummy douchebag.

I was thinking about mentioning Caledonian specifically for the scotch and decent beer selection but I suspect if they do any cocktails that they'd be fairly pedestrian.

I like Habits. The beer is good. The food was fine but there's just not enough on the menu that I'd eat. No idea about cocktails.

Bar Isabel could be an option. Good cocktails and beer plus food. Bar Raval perhaps too but I haven't been there yet (soon!)

Another out of left field option is Buster Rhino's which is along the same College strip as Habits and Caledonian. BR has a pretty good tap list and some decent cans/bottles. They have a pretty decent cocktail selection. I like the food too.
lister

napoleon

Post by napoleon »

lister wrote: The TTS owner is a scummy douchebag.

I was thinking about mentioning Caledonian specifically for the scotch and decent beer selection but I suspect if they do any cocktails that they'd be fairly pedestrian.

I like Habits. The beer is good. The food was fine but there's just not enough on the menu that I'd eat. No idea about cocktails.
Ooh, what's the dirt on TTS…I'm not a member but I've gone with a colleague who is a few times…feel free to PM if necessary.
Habits will not fulfill your cocktail needs. Having watched multiple bartenders, they really don't know what they're doing. One of them struggled mightily with making Sangria even. Beer and scotch are easily poured, but cocktails take some know-how.

AugustusRex

Post by AugustusRex »

Thanks for all the replies so far!

nickw

Post by nickw »

Both Northwood (Bloor and Christie Pits) and its sister location Northern Belle (Dundas and Grace-ish) have very nice cocktails and pretty solid beer (mostly bottles -- the taps aren't stellar) lists. Also, all bottles are $2 off between 5-7pm (every day, I believe).

napoleon

Post by napoleon »

nickw wrote:Both Northwood (Bloor and Christie Pits) and its sister location Northern Belle (Dundas and Grace-ish) have very nice cocktails and pretty solid beer (mostly bottles -- the taps aren't stellar) lists. Also, all bottles are $2 off between 5-7pm (every day, I believe).
Right, how did I forget Northern Belle. I love their patio and the cocktails are top notch. Generally very friendly staff (except for my hungover server the last time). Beer list on draft is truly bad though. It's also next to both Rhum Corner (which has the best piña coladas in Toronto) and Cocktail Bar, so quite easy to bar hop.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

nickw wrote:Both Northwood (Bloor and Christie Pits) and its sister location Northern Belle (Dundas and Grace-ish) have very nice cocktails and pretty solid beer (mostly bottles -- the taps aren't stellar) lists. Also, all bottles are $2 off between 5-7pm (every day, I believe).
Thanks for the reminder! Been meaning to go to at least one of them. 8)
lister

admviolin

Post by admviolin »

I love the cocktails at Northwood, but every time I've gone the drinks take 10-15 minutes to make.

Charchuk

Post by Charchuk »

Rush Lane has a great cocktail list. Can't comment on the beer menu though.