Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

napoleon

Post by napoleon »

Craig wrote:To my great surprise, of all the US IPAs that have hit shelves this year I think my favourite is the Goose Island one. I haven't tried the Lagunitas yet, but I'm pretty sure I've had it in the US and thought it was good but not special.
They have other variants that are a bit more interesting. But for a widely available beer you can get on tap at a neighbourhood bar and in bottles at Trader Joe's, it's pretty good.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Left Field Maris
Left Field Maris
@ Ceili Cottage w/ the amazing Wednesday burger, which I shouldn't tell you about because it already sells out early but that's what we do here on BT.
In Beerum Veritas

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Yesterday at Forest City Beer Fest and Milos' Craft Beer Emporium:
Twin Pines Hammer Bent Scrumpy (sample)
Block Three Blockhead APA (sample)
Beau's Noo-Broo Gruit Ale (sample)
Stone IPA (sample)
OCB Collaboration Ontario Table Beer (sample)
Bayside Honey Cream Ale (sample)
Beer Lab Brett Lam Berliner - Amarillo (draft)
Beer Lab Hibiscus Gose (sample)
Beer Lab Galaxy Saison (draft)
Nickel Brook Naughty Neighbour APA (draft)
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Calabaza Blanca from a year ago, not bad but I think it was better fresh, a bit acetic in the sourness for my liking. Tartness like unripe berry is not bad. Maybe this will go well with food later on! :)
In Beerum Veritas

napoleon

Post by napoleon »

cratez wrote: Beer Lab Brett Lam Berliner - Amarillo (draft)
Beer Lab Hibiscus Gose (sample)
Beer Lab Galaxy Saison (draft)
These sound tasty. Out of curiosity, where is Beer Lab? It's a bit like googling for "John Smith".

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

napoleon wrote: These sound tasty. Out of curiosity, where is Beer Lab? It's a bit like googling for "John Smith."
It's a collaboration between Adil Ahmed of Milos' and Nick Baird of Flying Monkeys and they are based in London. AFAIK they brew on a small pilot system in Nick's garage, and the beers are only available on tap at Milos' and sometimes at local festivals. The Brett Berliner and Galaxy Saison were "next level" good and easily the best two beers I had all weekend, so they definitely know what they're doing.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

napoleon wrote:Where is Beer Lab? It's a bit like googling for "John Smith".
Ahh, the genius of nondescript brand naming. Either nobody will find you, or the wrong people will! ;)
In Beerum Veritas

NRman
Bar Fly

Post by NRman »

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Last night at home:
Oast House Sweet'n Sow'r Biere de Mars
Yeah I stand corrected; they brew on their own system at Forked River (confirmed by Nick). For anyone interested in following them/knowing when their beers are on tap, their Facebook page is usually up to date.

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

A can of Thornbury Pickup Truck Pilsner, on sale at the LCBO. This is the rebranded King Pils. I liked the old branding better but this tastes just how I remember it. And these cans are fresh, stamped 5224. Using my code deciphering skills: 5=2015 and 224 = 224th day of the year (Aug. 12).

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Last night at La Palette and Bar Hop:
Le Trou Du Diable La Pitoune Keller Kölsch (draft)
St-Ambroise Oatmeal Stout (draft)
Black Oak Sink Or Swim Citra Saison (draft)
Dieu du Ciel! Aphrodisiaque (draft)

Belgian was right - Palette is a dandy little bistro with an excellent low-key vibe and stellar beer selection. Lots of people chatting at the bar and the classic French food was on point. In addition to the Kölsch they also had Rogue Marionberry Braggot on tap and a few rarities in bottles, so I was quite impressed. Great spot whether you're looking for a nice dinner or just wanna drink at the bar.

Right now:
De Leite Cuvée Soeur’ise

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

cratez wrote:Belgian was right - Palette is a dandy little bistro with an excellent low-key vibe and stellar beer selection.
Glad if you had a good time. I think the place looks cool & want to go back before the snow flies.
In Beerum Veritas

Provost Drunk

Post by Provost Drunk »

Last night at Thirsty & Miserable:

Black Oak Sink or Swim Citra Saison
Evil Twin Freudian Slip
Evil Twin Ashtray Heart

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Drinking a Stone IPA, it's damn good - and I'm reminiscing when this beer cost three or four bucks per 650ml at Wegmans in Amherst, NY. Was always cheaper than Rogue stuff. You guys remember Rogue products up here, before we had Rogue Voodoo Butter Underpants beer or whatever undrinkable stuff in the pink bottles? It was certainly exciting to get Chocolate Stout, Yellow Snow and Brutal IPA, those were 'changing times' in Ontario.
In Beerum Veritas

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Belgian wrote:Drinking a Stone IPA, it's damn good - and I'm reminiscing when this beer cost three or four bucks per 650ml at Wegmans in Amherst, NY. Was always cheaper than Rogue stuff. You guys remember Rogue products up here, before we had Rogue Voodoo Butter Underpants beer or whatever undrinkable stuff in the pink bottles? It was certainly exciting to get Chocolate Stout, Yellow Snow and Brutal IPA, those were 'changing times' in Ontario.
I believe the chocolate stout led the vanguard, and the hazelnut brown followed shortly after. As improved as things are now, I'd happily take those two beers over the vast majority of recent releases.