Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Uncorked-Wine and Spirits Appreciation

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Paolo Conterno Bricco Barbera d'Alba 2013
This is a decent vintage of the Bricco Barbera, so regardless a very good everyday Piedmont red from the always-reliable Alba subregion. Respectable acidity and tannins provide real structure under the cassis and fresh sour red cherry fruit and hints of black cherry. A bit of cedary wood. Actually good value if you value typicity and character above a manufactured, perfected blandness - if so, then this is your wine. A pure varietal that sings with a clear energy, and it could probably stand up to hearty food.
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

2000 Vieux Chateau Gachet Pomerol ** oops - sorry I messed up this entry, but some reviewers liked it and it's pretty good.
Last edited by Belgian on Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:02 pm, edited 4 times in total.
In Beerum Veritas

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Thanks for taking the plunge. I'll probably pick up a couple too.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Château Donissan 2011 Bordeaux (Listrac, Medoc)

A surprisingly easy-going Cab Sauv-based (Cab/Merlot?) red, showing pretty dark cherry & wild cassis fruit and mildly spicy vanilla oak as well as unusual dark florals.Good recommendation of a staffer at Summerhill. Not a huge weight to it, which for many may be a good thing and still shows plenty of character. I think the Vintages Panel comments are also correct. Worth grabbing one or three.
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

2000 Vieux Chateau Gachet Pomerol

- another bottle, great as the first. I think the 'brett' one reviewer described was really the hints of green peppery and herbal bitterness that certainly don't dominate the wine and add to the character. The tasty cherry, cassis and blackberry fruit is really complex with some sweetness riding on the end of it, super nice stuff.
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Wine nerds, the Lapidem Occultum is getting snapped up faster than piñata candy at a kids party. VERY good value, Rhone-style blend.
Last edited by Belgian on Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
In Beerum Veritas

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

Hey, I've noticed Blanton's mentioned on a few posts. Seems the Original is discontinued however the Single Barrel is not. What are they both like?

I'm pretty new to bourbon (scotch drinker) and am fond of Weller 12 & Eagle Rare. I have a bottle of Knob Creek that doesn't do much for me.

Guess I'm wondering if the Original would be to my liking and I should grab it before it's gone, or if the Single Barrel is more my style, in which case I've got some time. Or maybe neither, so that's cool too. Thanks!
I used to sell beer. Now I don't.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

portwood

Post by portwood »

MatttthewGeorge wrote:Hey, I've noticed Blanton's mentioned on a few posts. Seems the Original is discontinued however the Single Barrel is not. What are they both like?

I'm pretty new to bourbon (scotch drinker) and am fond of Weller 12 & Eagle Rare. I have a bottle of Knob Creek that doesn't do much for me.

Guess I'm wondering if the Original would be to my liking and I should grab it before it's gone, or if the Single Barrel is more my style, in which case I've got some time. Or maybe neither, so that's cool too. Thanks!
If you ask any bourbon geek, the "Original single barrel" (96 proof) is the one to buy. the "single barrel" (80 proof) is a watered down version and pales by comparison.

Keep in mind Blanton's is from a recipe* using a relatively high portion of rye grain (spicier) in the mash bill compared to Eagle Rare (very low rye) or Weller (zero rye grain, replaced by wheat). Therefore, you may not like Blanton's.

*also note: Blanton's, Eagle Rare, and Weller are all produced by Buffalo Trace, Knob Creek is a Beam product. From the Beam line, consider Maker's Mark (or MM 46) which is a wheat based Bourbon (similar to Weller, though considerably younger and, imo, less refined than Weller12).
@markhamwhisky

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

portwood wrote:
MatttthewGeorge wrote:Hey, I've noticed Blanton's mentioned on a few posts. Seems the Original is discontinued however the Single Barrel is not. What are they both like?

If you ask any bourbon geek, the "Original single barrel" (96 proof) is the one to buy. the "single barrel" (80 proof) is a watered down version and pales by comparison.

Keep in mind Blanton's is from a recipe* using a relatively high portion of rye grain (spicier) in the mash bill compared to Eagle Rare (very low rye) or Weller (zero rye grain, replaced by wheat). Therefore, you may not like Blanton's.

*also note: Blanton's, Eagle Rare, and Weller are all produced by Buffalo Trace, Knob Creek is a Beam product. From the Beam line, consider Maker's Mark (or MM 46) which is a wheat based Bourbon (similar to Weller, though considerably younger and, imo, less refined than Weller12).
Thank you for the detailed reply. Very helpful. Cheers!
I used to sell beer. Now I don't.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Quinta da Rede Reserva 2012 (Douro, Portugal)

Really solid dark fruit, supple and refined with good structure. A good one to lay down a few in the cellar a few years which is first recommended but I'm enjoying it now!
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Belgian wrote:Wine nerds, the Lapidem Occultum is getting snapped up faster than piñata candy at a kids party. VERY good value, Rhone-style blend.
This is REALLY good this year (the 2013 vintage.) Will please the purists while serving as an approachable dinner wine. I like Grenache-Syrah blends (this one is (40% + 50%) that don't let the fatness of the Syrah take over, and express the greater open-ness of the Grenache. Carignan (10%) is nothing too special to me but in the Lapidem it stays out of the way, maybe lending some herbal accents.
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Domaine des Deux Roches Les Terres Noires Saint-Veran 2012 (Burgundy / Chardonnay)
Excellent of course, worth getting. But I am thinking of our friends in Paris France right now, and the events of yesterday. I'm celebrating the persistence of the indomitable human spirit over the cowardice of evil. I am affirming that the Paris attacks of Friday the 13th, 2015 will make us stronger, and pull together with great unity & defiance in the name of freedom. Cheers to all of you.
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Clemente VII Chianti Classico 2011

Wow this is GOOD. Sleek and refined with notes of leather and tobacco and whiffs of tarry petrol, tart-sweet black fruit cherry you'd expect. Bit of vanilla hanging on the mellowing finish. Wonderful dry tannins and green herbals that I don't mind, very solid character right away and it is recommended to age - or if you like you can have it with beef or dump it in the decanter for a few hours, if you need to.

I want to grab several more of these, and even hving been over there I am rarely excited by Chianti - noting this is a bargain 17-dollar red VS 38-dollar Barbaresco, different thing but still it exceeds the value equivalency. A nice wine for everyday or for the big Sunday dinner. Yum!
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Belgian wrote:Now sipping Hauchat Fronsac, a good little $15 Bordeaux.
Has only gone up a buck or so after 6 years, still a nice sipper well under 20 bucks, properly put together Bordeaux with dryness structure and nuanced flavors.
I recommend this for its simplicity and versatility, rather than knocking you over it is pleasant.
In Beerum Veritas