Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

AugustusRex

Post by AugustusRex »

Liefman's Goudenband from the LCBO release a couple years back. **

As a sherry fan, I can appreciate the oxidized flavours, but the thin body and lack of other flavours make this a little one dimensional. Decent, drinkable, but not in the same league as the Rodenbach Vintage or Cuvee de Jacobins. I prefer the reds over the browns, tarter, lower abv and a more integrated oxidized flavour.

Cuvee Soeur'ise *

I am disappointed in this one. For the abv it is very thin and spritzy, too fizzy. Tartness is moderate, sweetness is perceivable in the mouthfeel and unclean aftertaste. Cherry flavour is mild but comes off slightly artificial, in a sort of Liefmans Cuvee Brut kind of way. Flavour profile lacks structure and seems even though the overall intensity of flavour is low, it comes off as a sort of mess. Acetaldehyde is detected. Even the Boon Framboise we got last summer is a step or two above this.

Orval Jan 2015 ****

Excellent. The phenolic character is just beginning to dominate over the hops. I prefer it a little younger than this, because I love the hop profile in this beer. When having a beer like Orval, I wonder why I spend money on the untested shit that comes through the LCBO

Kish84
Bar Fly

Post by Kish84 »

AugustusRex wrote:Cuvee Soeur'ise *

I am disappointed in this one. For the abv it is very thin and spritzy, too fizzy. Tartness is moderate, sweetness is perceivable in the mouthfeel and unclean aftertaste. Cherry flavour is mild but comes off slightly artificial, in a sort of Liefmans Cuvee Brut kind of way. Flavour profile lacks structure and seems even though the overall intensity of flavour is low, it comes off as a sort of mess. Acetaldehyde is detected. Even the Boon Framboise we got last summer is a step or two above this.
You realize you're comparing a tripel to a lambic, right?
"There's always money in the banana stand."

AugustusRex

Post by AugustusRex »

Kish84 wrote:
AugustusRex wrote:Cuvee Soeur'ise *

You realize you're comparing a tripel to a lambic, right?
I didn't say Boon was anything like it, just comparing quality. Plus the Cuvée Soeur'ise doesn't taste like a tripel.

Provost Drunk

Post by Provost Drunk »

napoleon wrote:
Provost Drunk wrote:Last night at Beer Bistro:

Zundert Trappist
Brasserie LeFort Vander Ghinste
Freigeist Abraxxxas
Struise Pannepot Grand Riserva (2005)
That's an expensive night at beer bistro! I hope were entertaining some corporate clients!
Yes, this one was on my firm's dime. I thought about getting a pour of Xyauyu but decided to show some restraint! It was nice to experiment a little with that menu without feeling constrained by the usual cost/benefit analysis and I can honestly say that the Pannepot Grand Riserva was probably worth the price ($19 before tax) - such a complex and delicious beer. It's not the kind of beer I'd order every time I go out but I can see myself paying out of pocket to try it again one day.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Tonight at home:
Beau's Farm Table Helles
Amsterdam Autumn Hop Harvest Ale
Provost Drunk wrote:Last night at Beer Bistro:
Zundert Trappist
Brasserie LeFort Vander Ghinste
Freigeist Abraxxxas
Struise Pannepot Grand Riserva (2005)
That's one hell of a session! Their bottle list is mostly current and previously listed LCBO beers now, but you clearly managed to pinpoint some of the last remaining rarities. Kudos!
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

napoleon

Post by napoleon »

Provost Drunk wrote: Yes, this one was on my firm's dime. I thought about getting a pour of Xyauyu but decided to show some restraint! It was nice to experiment a little with that menu without feeling constrained by the usual cost/benefit analysis and I can honestly say that the Pannepot Grand Riserva was probably worth the price ($19 before tax) - such a complex and delicious beer. It's not the kind of beer I'd order every time I go out but I can see myself paying out of pocket to try it again one day.
Very nice! The Pannepot is cheaper than a lot of bottles around town, e.g., the reserve bottles at Bellwoods, the lambics at BarHop, or pretty much anything at Volo. Should give it a try.

Provost Drunk

Post by Provost Drunk »

napoleon wrote:
Provost Drunk wrote: Yes, this one was on my firm's dime. I thought about getting a pour of Xyauyu but decided to show some restraint! It was nice to experiment a little with that menu without feeling constrained by the usual cost/benefit analysis and I can honestly say that the Pannepot Grand Riserva was probably worth the price ($19 before tax) - such a complex and delicious beer. It's not the kind of beer I'd order every time I go out but I can see myself paying out of pocket to try it again one day.
Very nice! The Pannepot is cheaper than a lot of bottles around town, e.g., the reserve bottles at Bellwoods, the lambics at BarHop, or pretty much anything at Volo. Should give it a try.
I should note that the Pannepot was a 330 mL bottle (but you probably already assumed as much). Still worth a try!

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Last night at a friend's house:
Stewart Cauld Reekie Stout
Great Lakes Maniacal Hopshop IPA
Black Oak Nutcracker Porter
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

Stone Cali-belgique. I found it to be tasty enough, but pretty underwhelming. Give me the GL Audrey hopburn over that, especially given the prices

skootles

Post by skootles »

Decided to start making room in the cellar last night:

Bellwoods Motley Cru 2015
Dieu du Ciel Aphrodisiaque

The Motley Cru's flavours have definitely faded from the original (as expected). Still though, there's a sharp sour taste upfront which smooths out quickly.

The Dieu du Ciel was bottled way back in April 2014 and the cocoa / vanilla are way more subtle than a fresh version (again, as expected). It was nice and smooth but I think I'd prefer to drink it fresh (and on nitro). I have some even older Peche Mortel that I'll have to open up next.

AugustusRex

Post by AugustusRex »

Bell's Expedition Stout, bottled October 23 2014.

From my six-pack I got from Premier last winter. I still have 4 more! I couldn't wait for this one to turn 1 year old. Excellent stout, on par with Ten Fidy, Old Rasputin and Storm King. It has an excellent acidity from the roast malts that is almost wine like. Very low bitterness but the hop flavour is still there and blends seamlessly into the overall profile.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Louis Bouillot Perle d'Aurore Brut Rosé Crémant de Bourgogne. Good autolysis character with creamy brioche flavors over the tart-sweet cherry fruit.
In Beerum Veritas

Coronaeus

Post by Coronaeus »

Northwinds Night Moves (Wet Hop Belgian Pale Ale with Roasted Sweet Potato)

I'm not sure if I should be disappointed or happy that the sweet potato in this one is negligible in the flavour. The Belgian aspects emerge slowly, but everything is very mild in this beer. Good, but not what I expected.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Over the last little while:
Black Oak Oaktoberfest (draft)
Side Launch Dark Lager (draft)
Great Lakes Brewing Pumpkin Ale (draft)
Nickel Brook Ontario Wet Hop Pale Ale
Tree Old School Stout
Three Floyds Alpha King
St-Ambroise Citrouille
Three Floyds Yum Yum
Hofbräu München Dunkel
Silversmith Damn Buster English Ale
Bell's Expedition Stout

kevinlater

Post by kevinlater »

at home recently:

dieu du ciel peche mortel
lots of muskoka harvest ale
sawdust city golden beach pale ale
duvel
amsterdam fracture
hofbrau dunkel
hacker-pschorr munich gold

travelling last week:

sweetwater 420 extra pale ale