Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New BarVolo / House Ales location in Little Italy?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

skootles

New BarVolo / House Ales location in Little Italy?

Post by skootles »

Just saw this on the BarVolo Facebook page. So, second location for BarVolo? Brewery for House Ales and or Bim Lafontaine? Or are they moving to Little Italy entirely?

DeMarco

Post by DeMarco »

Rumours are 2nd location, bim is involved. Right next to royal cinema. Heard that back in the summer.

nickw

Post by nickw »

Can't quite picture the details of that block, but either the old Royal Crown Jewelry store at 606 College (which was recently up for sale), or the old Bertucci's at 630 College (which is a more appropriate size), perhaps?

DeMarco

Post by DeMarco »

nickw wrote:Can't quite picture the details of that block, but either the old Royal Crown Jewelry store at 606 College (which was recently up for sale), or the old Bertucci's at 630 College (which is a more appropriate size), perhaps?
I was told (and could be wrong) but it's the place next to alibaba's

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

I'd heard rumours that the rumours of their location being where the rumoured Sweetgrass location is no longer rumoured to be were no longer happening. This makes me sad. The East deserves something that exciting, the West is spoiled already.

You could view this as a 2nd Volo location maybe, but with the condo development slated for the current block Volo is on, location #1's time is probably limited.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Oh good. That location is closer to me and I tend to be over that way more often that Yonge & Wellesley.

Monarch will have some competition now.
lister

nickw

Post by nickw »

DeMarco wrote:
nickw wrote:Can't quite picture the details of that block, but either the old Royal Crown Jewelry store at 606 College (which was recently up for sale), or the old Bertucci's at 630 College (which is a more appropriate size), perhaps?
I was told (and could be wrong) but it's the place next to alibaba's
Hmm, I suppose Souz Dal at 612 College has been closed for a while, but interesting -- a pretty darn small place. And we thought that weekend evenings at the current Volo location could get tight...

Can't wait to see what it actually is.

admviolin

Post by admviolin »

Wherever the Brando's fried chicken popup is...that's what I was told was the new location.

nickw

Post by nickw »

That makes sense.

610 College. http://www.blogto.com/eat_drink/2015/11 ... ollege_st/

That would be the Ali Baba itself. Didn't realise that had closed.

BakaGaijin

Post by BakaGaijin »

Don't know if Bim is involved with this or not....but he mentioned in September that said he finalized the lease where he will be brewering and expects to start brewing in the Summer of '16.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

you guys are taking all the rumours, tossing them in a washing machine and bleeding them into one another.

you think Bim's opening a brewery in a space on College?? with what - a 15 gallon pot?

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

http://torontolife.com/food/bars-and-cl ... tle-italy/
Craft beer fans in Little Italy have something to celebrate: after years of serving hopheads at Yonge and Dundonald, the owners of Bar Volo are opening another bar on College Street next spring. The new place will open where Souz Dal used to be, and while co-owner Tomas Morana isn’t quite ready to share all the details, he tells us that it isn’t going to be just a second Bar Volo. “It’s going to be a more-focused taproom with very simple bar snacks. There’s no basement, no brewery, no kitchen,” he says. “The plan is to have really unique beers that you can’t find anywhere else in the city—sour beers, rustic ales, farmhouse brews and barrel aged beers—but without the pretentious beer-geek vibe, and with an Italian twist.” (It is Little Italy, after all, and Bar Volo started life in 1985 as an Italian restaurant.) Morana and his co-owner brother Julian will also have a partnership with the neighbouring Royal Cinema, which means that it might soon be possible to watch an indie flick in the theatre while enjoying a cold (and rare) one.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

So no, this isn't Bim's brewery. Drinking a gueuze and watching an indie flick sounds like fun though.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

atomeyes wrote:you guys are taking all the rumours, tossing them in a washing machine and bleeding them into one another.

you think Bim's opening a brewery in a space on College?? with what - a 15 gallon pot?

I heard they were launching a fleet of Volo food trucks to park in front of pop-up barbershops where you could get your beard trimmed. Apparently all the food would be grown on, or grazed on the roof of the trucks. :D
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

Craig wrote:So no, this isn't Bim's brewery.
the cat's been progressively popping out of the bag re: Bim's brewery.
i'm guessing late 2016/early 2017 for his brewery