Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

@the wooly for lunch. Fresh lake effect. This is the first time I've had it on tap and its out of this world good.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Trois Pistoles.
Viven Porter - Belgium - very good! Smokey malts flavor and kind of funky molasses malty aroma. This would kick some ass in a Belgian beef stew as well, with oodles of caramelized onions and garlic and thyme, AKA 'Carbonnade.' You should try it, so good.

Chimay Bleue 2006 - wow this ain't bad.
2013 Rochefort 10. Yeah this one pretty much rules.
In Beerum Veritas

AugustusRex

Post by AugustusRex »

Ayinger Oktober Fest-Marzen

I can't believe how much the LCBO screwed up this release. I am really interested in knowing what happened. Anyway.

It is pretty light for a marzen, just a few shades darker than a helles. The head was like microfoam and retention was fairly good. It has been almost two years since I had Celebrator, and I was reminded about how well Ayinger showcases subtle malt flavours. It could use more hops (just a tad), even just for bittering, but possibly this is the LCBO's fault. I hate how Ayinger refuses to label their beers with any form of date code or best before date.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Over the weekend at Milos' Craft Beer Emporium and some gatherings in London:
Granite The Barmaid’s T’ale (cask)
Beer Lab Breakfast Stout (draft)
Sawdust City Pumpkin Pine IPA (draft)
Flying Monkeys Saint BeatNick Stout (draft)
Black Swan IPA (draft)
Forked River Full City Coffee Porter (bottle)
The Publican House Pub House Ale (can)
Red Racer Gingerhead Gingerbread Stout (bottle)
Neaustadt 456 Marzen (can)
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

Coronaeus

Post by Coronaeus »

Foley Brothers Session IPA. Crisp and light but with just the right amount of grapefruit and pine and dankness to make you certain you are drinking an IPA. Great stuff.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

Coronaeus wrote:Foley Brothers Session IPA. Crisp and light but with just the right amount of grapefruit and pine and dankness to make you certain you are drinking an IPA. Great stuff.
I had a Foley brothers Spruce session pale ale arly last week. Sounds pretty similar, really good.
Last edited by sofakingdrunk on Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Last night I had a Redline Clutch that I purchased in early August at the then new brewery.

Tonight I had an Amsterdam Cruiser that I purchased 2 or 3 weeks ago.

Much preferred the Redline. Better aroma and flavour. The Cruiser seemed plain by comparison.

Both are just under 5% abv

Provost Drunk

Post by Provost Drunk »

Belgian wrote: Viven Porter - Belgium - very good! Smokey malts flavor and kind of funky molasses malty aroma. This would kick some ass in a Belgian beef stew as well, with oodles of caramelized onions and garlic and thyme, AKA 'Carbonnade.' You should try it, so good.
Agreed! Almost a cross between a porter and a Belgian dark ale with an interesting interplay of smoke/ash flavour and some sweeter dried fruit notes. Also well priced at $2.65.

Coronaeus

Post by Coronaeus »

Moon Under Water Tempus Corvi 2015. I wish i had more of this. I haven't had a lot of wine barrel aged saisons, but even if I had, this would be near the top of the list. Lots of apple and grape in this one.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

Bellwoods bounty hunter-bought in February. All of the coconut and vanilla is gone, leaving behind the porter base. Followed up with a Finest Kind IPA

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

sofakingdrunk wrote:Bellwoods bounty hunter-bought in February. All of the coconut and vanilla is gone, leaving behind the porter base
Sounds worth lining up for in -20º Celsius! :D

Seriously though I'd still buy their one-offs and good to know to drink this one soon after buying.
In Beerum Veritas

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

Belgian wrote:
sofakingdrunk wrote:Bellwoods bounty hunter-bought in February. All of the coconut and vanilla is gone, leaving behind the porter base
Sounds worth lining up for in -20º Celsius! :D

Seriously though I'd still buy their one-offs and good to know to drink this one soon after buying.
Yeah really. Luckily I just happened to stop by randomly and it was there. The porter was still mighty fine.....but I could drink it everyday for a year and not be able to pick out the coconut

Provost Drunk

Post by Provost Drunk »

'Tis the season for imperial stouts! Last night at Volo:

Bolshevik Bastard
Peche Mortel (on nitro)
Blood of Cthulhu

All excellent in their own way! And because stouts are so luscious on nitro (and because I might have slight drinking problem...) an Aphrodisiaque for "dessert".

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

More Lake Effect and Harry Porter for me
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

2013 van de keizer blauw. Drinking fantastically well. Tonnes of ripe berry flavour. Drank with some roasted pork, lyonaise potatoes and some steamed green beans. I have one more 2013 stashed away that i'll have to hold on to for a bit.