Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

sofakingdrunk wrote:
Masterplan wrote:
sofakingdrunk wrote:
Is aphrodisiac at the lcbo yet? They have a listing 442723 but the page returns an error when you click on it...the vintages, drinkvine, and foodanddrink.ca don't have it listen yet. Why does it gave to be so difficult?

I'm not sure, this was actually from a trip to Montreal in the summer. Hopefully when it does arrive they have a decent amount and good distrubution
The odds are pretty good that when it does come in, it'll also show up on the keep6 import site: http://www.keep6imports.com/shop/dieu-du-ciel-aphrodite which I mention because that means that so long as you're willing to get a case, they'll ship it to an LCBO of your choosing, unless you live in Toronto. For some reason if you live in TO you have to go to the warehouse to pick it up.

Coronaeus

Post by Coronaeus »

Last two days:

Four Winds Wildflower Saison.
Indie Ale House Cocoa-Coconut Zombie Apocalypse. Really quite nice, glad I bought a bunch.
Laughing Dog Rocket Dog Rye IPA. (My first beer from Idaho. Yay!)

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

Coronaeus wrote: Indie Ale House Cocoa-Coconut Zombie Apocalypse. Really quite nice, glad I bought a bunch.
Just drank one tonight and really enjoyed it. They must have put a tonne of cacao nibs in this. It was almost like drinking a glass of chocolate syrup., but not cloying.

darmokandjalad

Post by darmokandjalad »

Over the last couple of weekdays:

- Benediktiner Original Helles Lagerbier - This one has been rolling out to stores across the province over the past few days. Wasn't expecting much, but I was satisfied with it. Dated Nov 13 2015. A clean-tasting pale lager with delightful simplicity; nothing but grainy pale malts and subtle grassy hop backing. IMO Spaten's quality has slipped over the last few years - not to the same extent that Lowenbrau's has, though - but this helles is looking like a potential substitute.

- Scaldis Amber - Best before Jun 2017. Not a big fan of this one - relentlessly sweet, and quite boozy. The bubblegum, caramelized sugar and orchard fruit flavours don't provide enough depth for a beer this "big".

- Innocente Until Proven Guilty (BBA) - Quite good. Reminded me a little of the 2014 Weendigo (which I cracked a few weeks ago), likely due to the fact that they both used JD barrels. UPG BBA was more well-rounded and complex, however. Glad I had the wherewithal to pick up two of these.

- Forked River's Catharsis (Red Wine BA Quad) - A bit of a let-down. Minimal sour/tartness; a few vinous red grape notes but very subdued. Other than that it's very similar to the non-BA version (Holy Hand Grenade), which I was also not a big fan of.

- Royal City Autumn Ale - An amber ale brewed with sweet potato, squash, and an indeterminate number of spices. Basically a pumpkin ale, but the harvest spices were a little overdone for my tastes. Not bad. The bottle was a day or two beyond its BBD but didn't seem stale.

skootles

Post by skootles »

From last night:

Left Field - Sweet Jesus
Beau's - The Beer That Shall Not Be Named
Bellwoods - Farmageddon batch 9
Covered Bridge - Two
Dunham - Amicis Magicus
Bellwoods - Wizard Wolf

Coronaeus

Post by Coronaeus »

Over the weekend at BarHop and at home:

Amsterdam/Bar Hop Nautilus Foreign Export Stout
Dieu Du Ciel! Deesse Nocturne (Nice!)
Nickel Brook Uber Berliner Weisse
Left Field Resin Bag IPA
Side Launch Huronic Tripel
Folly Flemish Cap

Old Credit Amber Ale (Brought over by a well meaning friend. For whom is this brewed? Ridiculously sweet. It seems to have shelf space at every LCBO in the GTA.)
Thirsty Dog Siberian Night Imperial Stout

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

At Goodlake:
Black Oak Nut Brown Ale (draft)
Goodlake Lager (draft)
Black Oak Nutcracker Porter (draft)

At home:
Rogue Dead Guy Ale (decently fresh bottle ~ 2 months old from King & Spading LCBO, drinking great)
St. Ambroise Oatmeal Stout (first time I've ever picked up a diacetyl note in this beer, meh)
Liberty Village 504 Pale Ale (very underrated bright and hoppy APA)
Ayinger Celebrator Doppelbock
Smuttynose Finest Kind IPA
Left Field Eephus Oatmeal Brown Ale (always stellar)
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

skootles

Post by skootles »

From the other day:

Left Field Sweet Jesus
Beau's The Beer That Shall Not Be Named
Bellwoods Farmageddon batch 9
Covered Bridge Two
Dunham Amicis Magicus
Bellwoods Wizard Wolf

darmokandjalad

Post by darmokandjalad »

Over the weekend:

Lagunitas IPA - Unremarkable, but fine. Wouldn't pick this over my preferred domestic IPAs.

Wellington Sleet Wheat Wine (Cab Franc BA) - A holdover from last winter; bottled on Dec 11 2014. Probably past its theoretical prime - the nose seemed dull and the flavours were very mellow. Smooth, soft, fulfilling mouthfeel. Not very complex, and a little too boozy/sweet (but not outlandishly so given the 11.5%). Decent enough, coming from someone who typically isn't very keen on barleywine.

Flying Monkeys Chocolate Manifesto - Haven't had this one since its original release a few years back. Ridiculously rich and initially quite delicious... but it goes from "amazing" during the first few sips, to "I don't know how much more of this I can tolerate" by the time half of the bottle is gone.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

At home:
Lagunitas IPA
Dieu du Ciel! Aphrodisiaque
darmokandjalad wrote: Lagunitas IPA - Unremarkable, but fine. Wouldn't pick this over my preferred domestic IPAs.
My thoughts as well.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

CoolB

Post by CoolB »

Can anyone be a bit more descriptive about the Lagunitas IPA? What's the hop profile like? Does it lean towards the piney side or fruity side. Is there much malt backbone? What would you compare it to? I'm thinking of picking up a 6 out of curiosity.
You know what I have in my cellar? Dust, I have dust in my cellar.

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

I'll put thus here:

darmokandjalad

Post by darmokandjalad »

Over the last week or so:

Hr. Frederiksen - Best before July 2019. One of the better Danish imports that the LCBO has stocked over the last year or so. Nice mix of flavours - intense roasted malts with cocoa and coffee, followed by a pleasant herbal bitterness on the back end. Mild heat; touch of licorice root. Gives you the sticky lips. Not terribly unique, but I found it to be a pretty good imperial stout nonetheless.

Beau's Farm Table Grisette - Bottled Jan 26 2016. Not bad, but not that great, either. Had kind of an eggy-sulfur tinge to the aroma at first, but it faded over time. Clean grainy malt flavours with grassy noble(ish) hop backing. Very straightforward; not much yeast character. OK, but not as good as the last few Farm Table releases.

Okanagan Spring Classic Nut Brown - An old brand revived. I can sort of understand why they retired it. Very drinkable, but not very interesting at all. Reminds me of Big Rock's Trad, except not as bland or thin-bodied.

And a long list of revisited beers:
Plowman's Ale - Still one of GRB's best products IMO.
Okanagan Spring Cloudy Amber Ale - Very mediocre. Reminiscent of that Moosehead Boundary ale, except with neutered hop presence.
Okanagan Spring Sonder Hefe - See above. Serviceable, but still inferior to [insert any imported German hefe].
GLB Lake Effect IPA - Still one of my favourites, but somehow I feel that I liked the late-2014 batch more.
GRB Russian Gun Imperial Stout - Not as good as I remember. At least the price is fair.

AugustusRex

Post by AugustusRex »

Westmalle Tripel (02/02/17)

Nice beer, but already going downhill. This beer is best bright and fresh. The sediment in this beer tastes horrific and needs to be carefully left in the bottle.

Rodenbach Vintage 2013

Absolutely fantastic. Much more balanced and complex than our recent batch of Cuvee De Jacobins. I'm glad I've stocked up. I've read the sweetness mellows a little with 1-2 years of age, but I think its fine as it is right now.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Over the weekend at Milos' Craft Beer Emporium:
Flying Monkeys Juicy Ass IPA (draft)
Paulaner Salvator (draft)
Indie Alehouse Instigator IPA (draft)

For Super Bowl:
Jever Pilsener
Flying Monkeys Hoptical Illusion APA

Right now:
Driftwood Fat Tug IPA