Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

US Beer Releases (premier, consumer, vbm)

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

biegaman wrote:All the shops in Buffalo are notorious for selling old code. Not to beat a dead horse but you do really need to be vigilant. I've gotten burned many times. It's best to assume it's not fresh (more likely than not it isn't). I try not to buy anything hoppy there now unless there's a 'bottled on' or 'best before'. I was there a few weeks ago and found *local* stuff that was well over a year old (and we're not talking styles that should be aged).
I have the same approach at Premier. That's often my one stop in Buffalo.

Droogy

Post by Droogy »

DFH 120MIN was being put on the shelves today for anyone interested.

ckoop

Post by ckoop »

Maybe I should just let this thread die, but there's a bunch of nice stuff on the shelves at premier right now.

- About 6 different alamanac farm to barrels up on the beer station shelf, they don't seem to move very fast.

- Avery Vanilla Bean BA Stout is out on the shelf in the Colorado section, along with some others including the raspberry sour.

- 4 packs of Thirsty Dog BA Wulver and BA Siberian Night on the shelf in the Ohio section. Haven't tried the wulver yet, but the BA siberian is very nice and if it had it's own special day that it was released like BBPT5 or BA Blackout would probably fly off shelves. Pricey at $25 a 4 pack, but that's pretty much the going rate for most BA stouts. It's no BCBS, but it's every bit as good as BA blackout and maybe slightly below BBPT5. If the dollar wasn't so bad I would've grabbed a couple of 4 packs. Wulver has tougher competition since backwoods is such a great BA scotch ale at a ridiculously cheap price.

- lots of the anchorage regular line up.

- only could see bottles of nugget nectar, but hop slam appears to have arrived after i left.

As long as you're not after IPAs, we are really spoiled with the influx of great bear just turding it up on the shelves over there. It took me a long time make my buying decisions today in order to stay under my 18 beer limit to avoid paying taxes*

*semi-scientifically determined number arrived at after trip upon trip of tax free border crossing. Results may very depending on your level handsomeness.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Bomb went from being behind the counter at Premier to being a shelf turd in record time.
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

I was at Premiere a day after, and they received lots of Framing hammer. They also have a number of good quality saisons, though a bit pricy.
I had picked up 5/6 of the almanacs about a buck cheaper a bottle closer to NYC, but was ok with getting the latest, the Peache de Brett.
Premier is convenient and very well stocked, but on a 48 hour trip further into US, I am saving a lot buying further into US, with similar selection
Reliable Beer Critic

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

sprague11 wrote:Bomb went from being behind the counter at Premier to being a shelf turd in record time.
I noticed that as well. I think it largely has to do with the price. Great beer, but not worth $10 for a small bottle.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Familiarity breeds indifference. Bomb used to sell out on the US Retail sites at 10 bucks a bottle (which is a ridiculous price) 12 months ago. Speaking of the retail sites, one has BCBS at 17.99 if somebody really REALLY wants it.

Heading across this weekend for some business. Last couple peeks behind the counter at Premier yielded me some better Crooked Stave bottles. Worst case scenario this years Nugget Nectar is drinking awesome.

DeMarco

Post by DeMarco »

sprague11 wrote:Familiarity breeds indifference. Bomb used to sell out on the US Retail sites at 10 bucks a bottle (which is a ridiculous price) 12 months ago. Speaking of the retail sites, one has BCBS at 17.99 if somebody really REALLY wants it.

Heading across this weekend for some business. Last couple peeks behind the counter at Premier yielded me some better Crooked Stave bottles. Worst case scenario this years Nugget Nectar is drinking awesome.
Nugget nectar is awesome. Glad to hear this year's batch is great.

ckoop

Post by ckoop »

DeMarco wrote:
sprague11 wrote:Familiarity breeds indifference. Bomb used to sell out on the US Retail sites at 10 bucks a bottle (which is a ridiculous price) 12 months ago. Speaking of the retail sites, one has BCBS at 17.99 if somebody really REALLY wants it.

Nugget nectar is awesome. Glad to hear this year's batch is great.
Third on the nectar! I thought my pallete had shifted away from maltier ipas, turns out it's just shifted away from shitty malty ipas! That new stone red ipa is out now as well, which I am eager to try soon.

I still enjoy bomb and the price doesn't bother me too much seeing as comparable stouts like mexican cake, huna, and abraxas are all around $20 a bomber/750. Now I've only had huna of those three and while it was really good and definitely better than bomb, i'd gladly take a bomb for half the price and a million times the ease of access. i'd love to try these 4 blind sometime to see how they compare.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Dunno if that new-ish place in Rochester still has it, but Central Waters' pepper stout was 7 bucks for 600 ML there. Was also quite good.

BakaGaijin

Post by BakaGaijin »

Village Beer Merchant releasing 3F tomorrow as per their FB page.