Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Cheap Wings + Good Beer?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Cheap Wings + Good Beer?

Post by El Pinguino »

Been having a craving for wings lately and was trying to think of a place in Toronto that might have a cheap wing night, which also offers good beer.

I couldn't think of any spots....so who has suggestions for places to go for good beers and cheap wings?

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

I don't do wings all that often. I probably would have named this post "good wings + good beer" and then not expected many replies. :wink:

When I have tripped along with others for wings, Einstien has been pretty good and cheep (student crowd). They have a few decent micros on tap. Definitely better than suffering at a firkin pub.

Keep in mind, most bars' wings are part of their freezer to fryer business. Don't delude yourself into thinking they are somehow a distinct product that they make on premises. You could do just as well or better with a box of frozen wings from the supermarket and your own oven or BBQ - heck even save yourself from all the grease.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

If I want good wings and good beers, I tend to head to Indie Ale House for their maple licorice wings.

But ya, I was wondering about places that had a cheap wing night (1/2 price or whatever) and happen to have good beer too...for the purpose of this post, they could be crappy wings....as long as they're cheap :P

Napalm Frog

Post by Napalm Frog »

El Pinguino wrote:If I want good wings and good beers, I tend to head to Indie Ale House for their maple licorice wings.
For good+good this is the best bet imho, but my preference is the peperoncini wings.

As for cheap and good beer, I feel that glut was temporarily filled by Buster Rhino's, but they were only open a year before shuttering and turning back into the east end recluse they were.

portwood

Post by portwood »

Napalm Frog wrote: As for cheap and good beer, I feel that glut was temporarily filled by Buster Rhino's, but they were only open a year before shuttering ...
Tough to do "cheap" and stay in business for long ;-)
@markhamwhisky

Coronaeus

Post by Coronaeus »

I'm not sure what constitutes "cheap," but on the rare occasion I go out for wings (once a year), I like going to Drums and Flats on Avenue near Wilson. Their beer list is crappy, but they do have Weihenstephaner on tap and their wings are cooked from fresh, not frozen, so you don't get those awful purple bones that turn me off.

PeenSteen
Bar Fly

Post by PeenSteen »

Whenever I crave beer and wings I usually just get take out wings and have them at home, I know that doesn't really answer your question directly but i found it to be the best option when I want chicken wings and beer. I typically get them from Duffs when I do go for take out.

Frere Ambroise

Post by Frere Ambroise »

Last night I went to Butcher Bar in Roncesvalles. AYCE wings on Thursdays. $19. They have about 5 different tasty sauces and 4 different dry-rubs. Full disclosure - many of you know I work for McAuslan Brewing . The owners of Barque and Butcher Bar loved our beer before they opened and that's what they wanted. So you get 7 of our beers from Quebec - 5 x St. Ambroise brands as well as Cheval Blanc and Belle Gueule. They also have bottles from Bellwood and a couple other locals. http://barque.ca/pages/butcherbar/#butc ... rinks-list Enjoy!

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Thanks for the feedback all....I don't often go out for wings either, which is why I was asking...appreciate that barque reco, not far from me and I've been meaning to visit already....will have to hit them up soon.