Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

CoolB

Post by CoolB »

Coronaeus wrote:Over the past week:

Ma Brasserie Tribale IIPA (an odd earwax thing going on here)
Le Castor Catherine (hot but nice)
NEBCO Sea Hag
Tree House Julius (great stuff!)
Tree House Lights On
Night Shift Morph (Great)
Les 2 Freres Hickson IPA (Had never heard of this. Not bad at all)
Trillium Sleeper Street
So I'm curious how does Julius stack up to the best Canadian ipa's? I have some friends on other sites that never shit up about Julius. Cheers.
You know what I have in my cellar? Dust, I have dust in my cellar.

Provost Drunk

Post by Provost Drunk »

This past Saturday at Brux House catching up with some friends and enjoying the patio for the first time this year:

Oast House Hef's Big Wood (hefeweizen)
Brux House Manual Labour Saison
Folly Praxis New World Saison

CoolB

Post by CoolB »

On tap at Kully's in St Catharines

Ransack the Universe - much better on tap then out of the can.

Brothers Brewing - Tropic Thunder APA - Delicious

Coronaeus

Post by Coronaeus »

CoolB wrote:
So I'm curious how does Julius stack up to the best Canadian ipa's? I have some friends on other sites that never shit up about Julius. Cheers.

I thought it was great. I also think Thrust! and Karma Citra and Yakima and Super A and Immodest and Sartori Harvest are great. I'd have a hard time arguing that it is head and shoulders above any of those. My palette just isn't sophisticated enough to make a compelling argument.

The guy I made the trade with rates his beers. He lives within fairly easy driving distance of Tree House, Trillium, Night Shift. These are some of his ratings of IIPAs, IPAs and Pale Ales from there, and here all consumed in the last month:

Night Shift Morph: 4.5
Tree House Green: 4.33
Tree House Julius: 4.75

Nickel Brook Immodest: 4.42
GLB Octopus: 4.27
Bellwoods Wizard Wolf: 4.27

Cheers!

CoolB

Post by CoolB »

Coronaeus wrote:
CoolB wrote:

I thought it was great. I also think Thrust! and Karma Citra and Yakima and Super A and Immodest and Sartori Harvest are great. I'd have a hard time arguing that it is head and shoulders above any of those. My palette just isn't sophisticated enough to make a compelling argument.

The guy I made the trade with rates his beers. He lives within fairly easy driving distance of Tree House, Trillium, Night Shift. These are some of his ratings of IIPAs, IPAs and Pale Ales from there, and here all consumed in the last month:

Night Shift Morph: 4.5
Tree House Green: 4.33
Tree House Julius: 4.75

Nickel Brook Immodest: 4.42
GLB Octopus: 4.27
Bellwoods Wizard Wolf: 4.27

Cheers!
Hey thank you for the insightful reply. I'm the same with my pallet. It's simply not refined enough to pick up every nuance of a beer. It's interesting to see his scores for some of our beers. Thanks again. Cheers.

TwoPint

Post by TwoPint »

Lovin' the Muddy York Buck 10 right now. Bottle from the brewery.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Over the last few nights at home:
Half Hours On Earth Green Mind - lovely hop-forward saison with just a hint of tartness, flavours and aromas of melon, orange rind, and lemon
Half Hours On Earth Totally - delicious strong sour ale brewed with raspberries and hibiscus, very bold aromatics with a framboise-like flavour
Last edited by cratez on Tue May 03, 2016 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

Kish84
Bar Fly

Post by Kish84 »

cratez wrote:Over the last few nights at home:
Half Hours On Earth Green Mind - lovely hop-forward saison with just a hint of tartness, flavours and aromas of melon, orange rind, and lemon
Did something change here? When I bought this the week they opened it was an IPA.
"There's always money in the banana stand."

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Kish84 wrote: Did something change here? When I bought this the week they opened it was an IPA.
Website and bottle label describe the beer as a "hoppy farmhouse ale," and it's brewed with saison yeast. It also has a little bit of tartness that could fairly be considered an off flavour in a traditional American IPA (here, it's intentional).
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Forked River Lord Simcoe's Revenge American IPA,
Seriously one of the best things ever.

Fresh growler from LCBO probably adds to the juiciness.

Makes me want to try more FR beers. Anybody thought of visiting London or have been at the brewery?
In Beerum Veritas

Provost Drunk

Post by Provost Drunk »

Belgian wrote:Forked River Lord Simcoe's Revenge American IPA,

Makes me want to try more FR beers. Anybody thought of visiting London or have been at the brewery?
I stopped by the brewery on my home from the States in January 2015. They don't have a designated space to sit down and try their beers, but they did have a small tasting bar set up by their bottle shop where they offered small (1-2 oz.) samples. It's not the kind of place that I'd seek out as a destination, but if you're in the area or plan a trip out to London to check out some other beer destinations (Milos' Craft Beer Emporium and Chaucer's come to mind, and I'm sure BTers who live in the area can name some other good spots) then it's worth a visit just to pick up some bottles.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Belgian wrote:Forked River Lord Simcoe's Revenge American IPA,

The Simcoe is definitely one of their best beers, though AFAIK they only make it occasionally. I've enjoyed it the few times I’ve had it on tap, and I’d love to see them make it part of their regular lineup. I’m not a fan of the Blonde and Riptide, but they’ve brewed a lot of good rotators (pumpkin porter, DIPA, hoppy wheat ale), one-offs, and funky/sour beers, so they deserve credit for that.

There are many more reasons to do a beer tour in London now that Forked River, Toboggan, London Brewing Co-op, and Beer Lab (contract) are up and running, and Anderson Craft Ales is set to open soon. I’ve been meaning to do another update in the Beer Guide section, since so much has changed in the last couple of years, but haven’t gotten around to it yet.

Provost Drunk

Post by Provost Drunk »

At Bar Hop earlier this week:

Left Field Farm Team Saison
Amsterdam Bord du Lac Saison
Folly Flemish Cap Old World Saison
Indie Alehouse Jackpot (sour cherry saison)
Le Trou du Diable Esteban (porter w/ orange rind and cacao)
Forked River Black Watch (English porter)
Block Three Through the Quad

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Provost Drunk wrote:I stopped by Forked River brewery on my home from the States in January 2015. They don't have a designated space to sit down and try their beers, but they did have a small tasting bar set up by their bottle shop where they offered small (1-2 oz.) samples.
They should take a page from the Left Field brewery who attract lots of stop-ins with their tasting/serving bar & some decent but simple seating plus fresh beer to go in different formats. I was amazed how well put together and instantly likable the Left Field setup was, and of course their beers are no slouch either. Add ex-DDCer Bim's new place down on Coxwell and the east end has really arrived beer-wise.

Back to Forked River thanks you guys for the London comments. I got the Barrel-Aged RIS today at my LC (and the St. Bernie Wit very cheap on clearout.)
In Beerum Veritas

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Over the weekend at Bar Hop Brewco:
Rainhard Neon Wasteland (draft)
Dieu du Ciel! Chemin de Croix (draft)
Great Lakes THRUST! An IPA (draft)

Right now:
Smuttynose Finestkind IPA