Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Uncorked-Wine and Spirits Appreciation

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Beer'n'gin

Post by Beer'n'gin »

ChrisK wrote:Question for the spirits enthusiasts in here. I've received $300 in LBCO gift cards as a xmas gift so what would you guys recommend in the way of bourbon/rye/scotch/cognac available from the LCBO right now?
I'm sitting on $200 of gift cards will likely keep sitting as there isn't much in the way of good rye/bourbon/scotch listings that aren't stupid expensive. Hasn't really been many beer releases I've felt the need to splurge on either. What are your preferences?

You missed the Buffalo Trace Antique Collection lottery and Col. E.H. Taylor vintage purchasing a few months back. The E.H, while decent bottles was a tad overpriced while you'd have to be very lucky to win anything from BTAC.

But I could recommend a few if the card is really burning a whole in your pocket.
Bourbon -
Bulleit 10 YO ($50) well priced against US
Blanton's Gold Edition Single Barrel ($100) release date should be soon

Scotch -
Aberlour A'bunadh ($95) sherry bomb cask strength stuff / Glenfarclas 105 ($106) also sherry bomb cask strength plus might still be 10 YO / Glendronach 12 YO ($65) good value wholly sherry matured whisky. An anomaly.
Laphroaig 15 YO release date 2016 and price unknown - if it's over $100 I'm passing
Bowmore 12 yr Good starter into peat. ($55)
Bowmore 15 YO Laimrig - released sometime in new year, look for it around $100. Cask-strength sweet sherry/dirty peat. Pretty good stuff,

CDN Whisky
Wiser Legacy ($50) high-rye, good stuff. Good amount of time in barrel. Oaky.
Corby's Lot 40 ($40) another great rye. Can't go wrong

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

ChrisK wrote:Question for the spirits enthusiasts in here. I've received $300 in LBCO gift cards as a xmas gift so what would you guys recommend in the way of bourbon/rye/scotch/cognac available from the LCBO right now?
I'm not a spirits expert but I've really enjoyed Balcones Baby Blue. Not a lot of LCBOs have it in stock, Barrie being the most.
lister

portwood

Post by portwood »

Beer'n'gin wrote: But I could recommend a few if the card is really burning a whole in your pocket.
Bourbon -

Scotch -
Aberlour A'bunadh ($95) sherry bomb cask strength stuff / Glenfarclas 105 ($106) also sherry bomb cask strength plus might still be 10 YO / Glendronach 12 YO ($65) good value wholly sherry matured whisky. An anomaly.
Laphroaig 15 YO release date 2016 and price unknown - if it's over $100 I'm passing
Bowmore 15 YO Laimrig - released sometime in new year, look for it around $100. Cask-strength sweet sherry/dirty peat. Pretty good stuff,

CDN Whisky
With one exception - Blanton's "Original Single Barrel" at $65 is a better buy than the gold - this could have been written by yours truly.

edit: never mind, the original is sold out!
@markhamwhisky

ChrisK

Post by ChrisK »

Beer'n'gin wrote:
I'm sitting on $200 of gift cards will likely keep sitting as there isn't much in the way of good rye/bourbon/scotch listings that aren't stupid expensive. Hasn't really been many beer releases I've felt the need to splurge on either. What are your preferences?

You missed the Buffalo Trace Antique Collection lottery and Col. E.H. Taylor vintage purchasing a few months back. The E.H, while decent bottles was a tad overpriced while you'd have to be very lucky to win anything from BTAC.

But I could recommend a few if the card is really burning a whole in your pocket.
Bourbon -

Scotch -

CDN Whisky
Perhaps I will hold onto them until something better comes around. Thanks for the rundown!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Beer'n'gin wrote:Bowmore 12 yr Good starter into peat. ($55)
Thank you! A good pick for my father's 70th next week, obviously I don't want to spend any more on the cheap old bastard.
In Beerum Veritas

portwood

Post by portwood »

Belgian wrote:
Beer'n'gin wrote:Bowmore 12 yr Good starter into peat. ($55)
Thank you! A good pick for my father's 70th next week, obviously I don't want to spend any more on the cheap old bastard.
$5 off ends Jan 3rd.
Price back up to $60 on Monday
@markhamwhisky

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Château des Roques Vacqueyras 2012 Southern Rhone Grenache Blend

Here is an extremely solid Grenache-focused southern Rhone red that is well worth the bucks. Beautiful acid-mineral palate over berries and herbs, and looks and smells great, plus aging potential - bonus!
In Beerum Veritas

rfrf

Post by rfrf »

Belgian wrote:Château des Roques Vacqueyras 2012 Southern Rhone Grenache Blend

Here is an extremely solid Grenache-focused southern Rhone red that is well worth the bucks. Beautiful acid-mineral palate over berries and herbs, and looks and smells great, plus aging potential - bonus!
only one store in Toronto has it? slow roll out?

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Noting the Nov. release date on the site, it sold well. Unlike our beer releases, the Vintages release dates with wine represent a serious commitment & are perfectly coordinated to fall on the assigned dates.
UPDATE - good stock of a few different Vacqueyras at the LCBO right now, probably grab a few since Grenache-leaning Rhone blends are very much my thing & $22-26 is not unreasonable, esp compared to the nearby Ch. Neufdupape region. These are drink now/drink later wines that don't require you to sit on expensive, maturing cellar stock for decades.
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Tormaresca Trentangeli 2012 - Aglianico blend with Cabernet & Syrah.

New one to me! Aglianico grape leads the 'beefy' blend in this slightly Bordeaux-like powerful red exhibiting a lot of good structure and fruit and spice, certainly rounded by the oak barrel ageing evoking hints of vanilla. Great value. Maybe a red to try one of, perhaps, before deciding if you want more, it's just a style thing. Great with well-matured Maple Dale cheddar and Parmigiano-Reggiano, and smells fantastic added to the pot of ribs and shanks we've got slow-braising on the stove - plenty of raisiny depth to work well in a sauce.
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Chanson Réserve du Bastion Pinot Noir (Burgundy)
Pretty aromas. Palate is tart and lithe, with cherry flavors emphasizing sour rather than layered berry depth. Florals and herbals add some complexity. Well-crafted for its simplicity and good foil for burgers or thin crust pizza. Latour may be better overall but haven't had it lately.

4 dollars off though March, might make some Coq au Vin or braised beef short ribs using a bit of it. Decent.
* update * drinks well the 2nd day as well with some aeration, you know what good stuff though it's dry. It will hurt to spend 22- a bottle, might grab a few more now.
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Cave de Beblenheim Brut Rosé Crémant d'Alsace (Pinot Noir made in the Champagne method)
This fine berry flavors and great palate with zingy mouth-watering acidity is exactly why I really like Pinot-based Cremant-style wines from the Alsace. Has some creamy brioche-like notes that cascade off the aroma on the pour, and nice tart-sweet complexity. Insane deal and good as the Pierre Sparr. In fact I need more...

Also had a
Loosen Bros. Dr. L. Sparkling Riesling
Not nearly so exciting. Though I generally love Riesling & am deeply impressed with good German winemaking, this sparkling wine from the Mosel lacked a good flavor balance and the crisp acidity it needs. Not a terrible wine, but IMO might as well seek better.
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Nals Margreid Pinot Noir 2013, South Tirol / Aldo Aldige, Italy
Was looking forward to trying another Pinot Nero. This one is okay with dark and black cherry, some beet root. Average.
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Lamadrid Single Vineyard Reserva Malbec 2012 - Argentina
Really pleasing modern-style red wine that still has some old-world flintiness and dark dry berry fruit under the sweetish fullness. Lifted by notes of herbs and licorice. Caution: this one justifies a nap in the fridge to tame down the youthfulness of the style. Very different from Cahors where the Malbec grape originates - while you might want steak with tannic French Cahors, this Argentine cousin will pair grilled salmon, pizza or chicken. Better than average value for the 94 score.

Les Dauphins Cotes Du Rhone Reserve Red*
This was kind of terrible for the money, just better wines for any price. I forgot to bring back the two lovely free Cocottes they gifted me when I returned the 80% unfinished bottle. I would not drink this for two Euros let alone fourteen dollars, shame!
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Valdosera MS 4.7 Brut Nature Gran Reserva Cava
This reputable sparkling wine from Spain was on sale, thought I'd try it. Research of course, taking one for the team.

Not wild about it right off the bat, but it's a grower and the lemony and pale fruit flavors are interesting. Tart and yeasty nose. Feels decently acidic, medium light palate. Champagne method wines have their very own complexity from the action of the bottle yeast.
In Beerum Veritas