Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Uncorked-Wine and Spirits Appreciation

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Cave de Ribeauvillé Giersberger Brut Crémant d'Alsace

Another beautiful, tightly-focused Alsatian sparkler (this time a white) with good acidity and decent body, plenty of fruit expression and not as doughy as some sparkling wines eg. the more brioche-like Lamadrid Cava ^ (also very good of course). Perhaps CDAlsace is less like Champagne in this way but I really lean toward this tart-dry style and so do most people in France who buy any sort of Crémant.

Pinot Noir / Pinot Blanc grapes in a great-value wine made by Champagne method, 'vibrant' is a good word for this region and this bottling.
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Rocca delle Macìe Cabernet Sauvignon 2013

I don't recall what made me buy this Tuscan Cab Sauv varietal (=single grape wine) but it's pasta night and this is a fun approachable red for a Cab that also has some dryness and structure. For sipping or food (We have got some excellent meat lasagna from Summerhill Market.)

Pretty classy black cherry notes and a smooth very likeable palate. Blackcurrant and hints sour cherry. A whiff of classic Bordeaux style but pretty modern overall. Manages to be direct with just a little complexity, nice stuff and you'll find it around stores still if you want to spend a reasonable 21.95. Salute and happy Friday! Cin cin.
In Beerum Veritas

ChrisK

Post by ChrisK »

Looking for some recommendations as one of my local LCBOs just got a bunch of new and interesting-looking stuff:

Eagle Rare 10 year
Stranahan's Colorado Whiskey
Four Roses Single Barrel
Orphan Barrel Barterhouse 20 year bourbon
Tincup Whiskey
Bib & Tucker small batch bourbon
Blanton's Original Bourbon
Woodford Reserve Double Oaked
Basil Hayden's Kentucky Bourbon

Any recommendations on something that's worth the splurge? I posted in here before looking or suggestions but it didn't seem like there was much around at the time and I still have gift cards burning a hole in my pocket.

portwood

Post by portwood »

ChrisK wrote:Looking for some recommendations as one of my local LCBOs just got a bunch of new and interesting-looking stuff:

Eagle Rare 10 year
Four Roses Single Barrel
Tincup Whiskey

Any recommendations on something that's worth the splurge? I posted in here before looking or suggestions but it didn't seem like there was much around at the time and I still have gift cards burning a hole in my pocket.
underlined the best 3 of the bunch
@markhamwhisky

ChrisK

Post by ChrisK »

portwood wrote:
ChrisK wrote:Looking for some recommendations as one of my local LCBOs just got a bunch of new and interesting-looking stuff:

Eagle Rare 10 year
Four Roses Single Barrel
Tincup Whiskey

Thanks for responding so quickly. How about Booker's straight bourbon or 1792 small batch bourbon? Would those edge out any of your previous top 3?

portwood

Post by portwood »

ChrisK wrote:
portwood wrote:

Eagle Rare 10 year
Four Roses Single Barrel
Tincup Whiskey

Thanks for responding so quickly. How about Booker's straight bourbon or 1792 small batch bourbon? Would those edge out any of your previous top 3?
Bookers is excellent, I would put it ahead of Eagle Rare.

Note: if you go for Blanton's take the "original" (brown label) not the single barrel (green label)

Note 2: you may want to keep back ~$35. Old Weller Antique is rumored to be coming in October. Difficult to find even in the USA, I've been waiting 3 years to get a bottle to compare to the WL Weller 12yo (which may also make an annual appearance around the same time)
@markhamwhisky

ChrisK

Post by ChrisK »

portwood wrote:
ChrisK wrote:
portwood wrote: underlined the best 3 of the bunch
Bookers is excellent, I would put it ahead of Eagle Rare.

Note: if you go for Blanton's take the "original" (brown label) not the single barrel (green label)

Note 2: you may want to keep back ~$35. Old Weller Antique is rumored to be coming in October. Difficult to find even in the USA, I've been waiting 3 years to get a bottle to compare to the WL Weller 12yo (which may also make an annual appearance around the same time)
I might do just that. I've heard a lot of good things about Weller. I grabbed a bottle each of four roses single barrel and eagle rare and I was considering exchanging the four roses and getting a bottle of Booker's but now the possibility of Weller is giving me pause.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Château Sainte-Marie Vieilles Vignes Entre-Deux-Mers 2014 - Blanc Blend BORDEAUX
Now this is good. I had to double-check it was only 14.95 because any decently-structured white is good for this price, let alone Bordeaux. Before chilling it doesn't reveal any real flaws, just a good medium body, lovely tart acidity over round fruit sweetness, some dryness and interesting herbal funk suggesting hints of cat pee and marijuana. Melon tangy apricot and complex citrus. I should really stick this in some ice... yeah even buy a few if you can, you might really like it.

Edit - oh yeah chilled some creaminess and smooth pale fruit comes out. World class bargain.

With a grilled peppered rib steak entrecôte. Juicy!
In Beerum Veritas

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

It's futures day! Anyone get anything?

Prices feel a little high this year, but I went ahead and got a couple of bottles of Haut-Bergey, which I get most years, and I took a gamble on a couple of bottles of Haut-Brisson, just cuz.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Craig wrote:It's futures day! Anyone get anything?.
That stuff is kinda cool and, like Fender Custom Shop guitars, I'd get into that totally if I didn't have lots of other financial plans!

My personal take on wine is that while good top Cru Bordeaux are a wonderful things, the pricing had gone ridiculous even 15+ years ago for obvious reasons that can still be argued worthwhile for some. In its origins wine is essentially a folksy beverage, and there is a ton of great stuff that honors that accessibility, some of it yet being discovered and developed.

That said, do let me know of you feel over-invested and want to 'trade' me out a bottle of something interesting. Case buys in that range must hurt a bit!
In Beerum Veritas

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

They do individual bottles now.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Tapiz Alta Collection Malbec 2013
I do like Malbec and Argentina, and was honestly curious about the 95 rating. This one needs to be cooled down a little to put itself together, typical of many red wines especially in the summer heat - they can be flabby and don't show their balance or refinement at all. This cooling off rewards with a full berry and sweet-sour cherry profile with good acidity and dry tannins, full palate and still approachable. Skilled value here. Says it's one year oak barrel aged and this is the subtle spicy vanilla, not intrusive at all and the price says they probably use a good balance of older barrels for maturation instead of overdoing a brash 'oak flavouring' some may not care for. You'll probably like this, but not served above say 18 Celsius! 20 minutes in fridge is OK.

With a nice one-pound Ribeye from Sanigans, here's a guide on how not to overcook a steak.
The co-star of the meal was the new yellow potatoes, go get em while they are so fresh.
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Château de l'Ou Infiniment Syrah 2012 - Cote Catalanes, the Midi, France
Getting a bit scarce now but here's an exceptional full and expressive Syrah. This has a full body and warmth and deep black fruit, spiciness, hint vanilla and a decent dryness to carry it all.

Decent-ish value for the 26.95 as it packs a wee punch. With new potatoes, Select Fine Foods Italian sausage and nicely-marbled Strip Loin from Sanigan's that I might be forced to pan sear due to the downpour but hey, first-world problems. Salut!
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Belgian wrote:Quinta da Rede Reserva 2012 (Douro, Portugal)

Really solid dark fruit, supple and refined with good structure. A good one to lay down a few in the cellar a few years which is first recommended but I'm enjoying it now!
- I'm taking my own advice and enjoying this again, this time with cold Italian sausage that I'd pan seared and braised in red wine. I'm noticing the oak more after several months maturation, definitely some 'old barrel' character coming through as well now. I imagine this should come back to the LC in a few months time!
In Beerum Veritas

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

This may be interesting to some here.

http://arstechnica.com/science/2016/07/ ... r-whiskey/
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.