Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

CoolB

Post by CoolB »

I had the blueberry at home nice and ice cold the other day. I liked it a lot more then the apple or pear variants I've tried. I may be extra partial to blueberries but I quite enjoyed it.
You know what I have in my cellar? Dust, I have dust in my cellar.

skootles

Post by skootles »

sofakingdrunk wrote: Glad to see these holding up well. I've been toying with the idea of opening a 2013 motley cru. And that saison sounds fantastic.
Having just had one recently, I say go for it. I had a bottle of it ages ago and it's nice and sweet like a good belgian quad but missing most of that sour taste that was present when it was bottled.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Ephemere Bleuet
CoolB wrote:I had the blueberry at home nice and ice cold the other day. I liked it a lot more then the apple or pear variants I've tried. I may be extra partial to blueberries but I quite enjoyed it.
This is indeed nice with an immediate heady blueberry aroma, which carries into the real blueberry and almost hint of maple taste. Slightly sweet but far from syrupy, and the lightly dry and spicy components help balance this out to be a full-tasting yet refreshing drink. The base beer of this series is excellent with this addition.

Schneider Cuvee Barrique - Weizenbock?? More like Flanders Brown ale.
Seriously sour woody and balsamic notes in aroma and taste - nice sour cherries and rustic red-winey notes. Big sour palate and long sour finish. Really good, total amazing surprise and I'm not an extreme Sourhead.
Enjoying this having some braised collard greens with chorizo sausage.
In Beerum Veritas

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

At Milos' Craft Beer Emporium:
Blood Brothers Hail Saison (draft)
Rainhard Daywalker ISA (draft)

At Forest City Beer Fest:
Anderson Craft Ales American Wheat (sample)
Anderson Craft Ales Brown Ale (sample)
Anderson Craft Ales IPA (sample)
Forked River Hop Salad (sample)
Forked River Wicked Wench (sample)
Forked River Lord Simcoe's Revenge IPA (sample)
London Brewing Co-Op Neighbourhood Tart (sample)
London Brewing Co-op Make Beer Not Balms (sample)
London Brewing Co-op Watermelon Wit (sample)
Toboggan IPA-Nema (sample)
Great Lakes & Thin Man Chidi Ahanotu (sample)
Refined Fool Murder Of Crows (sample)
Collective Arts Gose (sample)
Collective Arts Hefeweizen (sample)
Beau's Golden Vox (sample)

Highlights were the Anderson Brown, Lord Simcoe, Make Beer, Chidi Ahanotu, and CA Gose. Most other samples were "good" but not great. The Beau's, not surprisingly, was the worst beer of the festival. Overall I had a fun time, and I was glad to see the legendary Shmokey's BBQ there as one of the food vendors. Their BBQ is definitely one of the things that I miss most from my London days. Forked River also deserves props for bringing 10 different beers to the festival, half of which were one-offs and rotators.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Drank during my recent New England adventure:

Fiddlehead Mastermind
Bellwoods Farmageddon Cherry
Tree House Doppleganger
Hill Farmstead Walden
Hill Farmstead Elaborative 4
Idletyme Heffeweizen
Foam Lupi Fresh
Foam Built to Spill
Foam Pavement
Trillium Cutting Tiles (Biggest disappointment of the trip, unless you really REALLY love honey)
Trillium Fort Point
Trillium Congress Street
Trillium Melcher Street
Trillium Scaled Up
Jacks Abbey PBJ Framinghammer
Deciduous Argent
The Veil Crucial Crucial Taunt Taunt
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

At Bier Markt Queensway:
Brooklyn Lager (draft)
Amsterdam & Great Lakes Maverick & Gose (draft)
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

Provost Drunk

Post by Provost Drunk »

Belgian wrote: Schneider Cuvee Barrique - Weizenbock?? More like Flanders Brown ale.
Seriously sour woody and balsamic notes in aroma and taste - nice sour cherries and rustic red-winey notes. Big sour palate and long sour finish. Really good, total amazing surprise and I'm not an extreme Sourhead.
I also cracked a Cuvee Barrique recently and had a similar experience - lots of balsamic sourness with a bit of an oak. Some faint traces of dried fruit sweetness in the background, but the sourness really dominated the palate. I didn't really detect any of the banana notes present in other Schneider brews despite the bottle's claim that it was fermented with their house yeast. I think this beer is a stunning example of the impact that barrel aging can produce. My understanding is that the Cuvee is a blend of Aventinus weizendoppelbock and weizeneisbock, but if I tasted it blind I would never dream of making that connection.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Rochefort 10, the incomparable. For some this brew eclipses Westvleteren 12 in greatness, but at any rate they are two very unique and exceptional brews.
Thanks to current availability Rochefort 8 and 10 are shitloads easier to get ahold of.
In Beerum Veritas

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

Belgian wrote:Rochefort 10, the incomparable. For some this brew eclipses Westvleteren 12 in greatness, but at any rate they are two very unique and exceptional brews.
Thanks to current availability Rochefort 8 and 10 are shitloads easier to get ahold of.
i found the last batch of Roch 10 to be way too punchy and fresh, if that makes any sense. more grape notes then i wanted. it needed to settle the fuck down.

westy 12 is funny. i had the luck of having unlimited access to 5 year old westy 8 and 10. 75% of the westy 10 bottles were magical. a lovely brown sugar. 25% of the 8s were also magical.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

atomeyes wrote:Westy 12 is funny. i had the luck of having unlimited access to 5 year old westy 8 and 10. 75% of the westy 10 bottles were magical. a lovely brown sugar. 25% of the 8s were also magical.
That's kind of what I hear from people living over there, Westy's not consistent and a few bottles are downright disappointing. Research I would like to conduct myself one day!

I find Roche pretty consistent but occasionally a touch thin, and I also don't mind it well aged with the dry earthy aspects coming forward. I always expect a perfect bottle of some beers and that can spoil it, the impression can be wildly different and I'm always chasing 'that one time' it was sooo good.
In Beerum Veritas

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

Over the last little while:
TDD L'apocalypso IPA on tap @ baker St station-very tropical, tones of melon and citrus, some grassiness, quite dry, although a touch thin. Excellent beer overall
Elora brewing lady friend IPA- also on tap @ baker St- a very forgettable beer, nothing memorable other than the look being similar to a glass of watered down orange juice
Elora brewing elora borealis pale ale bottle- much better than their IPA. Also quite tropical, citra hop forward. Grapefruit, lemon and some peach in there. Nothing special, but enjoyable and very easy drinking
Block 3 Gobble Gobble IPA-bland as fuck.....that's about it. Sorry I bought two bottles instead of one.
Ironwood cider-too sweet for me, I found it to be one of the least enjoyable ciders I've had in a long while
Jolly pumpkin bam biere-I love this beer,it's my fourth or fifth one now. Funk flavours, dry and crisp, perfect carbonation. I can't really find a fault in this. Anybody have any idea how it will age?
Fullers imperial stout-from the fall 2014 release. Drinking soooo nice. I was a bit underwhelmed when I had it 2 years ago, but now I'm finding the subtle flavours coming out more. Strange, but good flavours. Earl grey tea,lavender,Mandarin,milk chocolate,coffee beans,rose water, and a nice bitter finish. This is great, glad I've got two more hiding downstairs

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

Belgian wrote:
atomeyes wrote:Westy 12 is funny. i had the luck of having unlimited access to 5 year old westy 8 and 10. 75% of the westy 10 bottles were magical. a lovely brown sugar. 25% of the 8s were also magical.
That's kind of what I hear from people living over there, Westy's not consistent and a few bottles are downright disappointing. Research I would like to conduct myself one day!

I find Roche pretty consistent but occasionally a touch thin, and I also don't mind it well aged with the dry earthy aspects coming forward. I always expect a perfect bottle of some beers and that can spoil it, the impression can be wildly different and I'm always chasing 'that one time' it was sooo good.
yeah, you're 100% correct. the Flemmish will tell you that Westy's dropped in quality over the past 5 years. they used to say to age them for 5 years to get peak westy 12. now? 3-4 years. they oxidize real quick.

the bottles i was drinking were stored, in all places, in an attic. still impressed they were mostly stellar.
and Roche: the earth quality's a great description. the fruitcake drops and earth comes out.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Friday at The Monk's Kettle:
Durham Blak Katt Stout (draft)
Collective Arts Rhyme & Reason XPA (draft)
Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier Dunkel (draft)
Amsterdam Boneshaker IPA (draft)

Last night at home:
Great Lakes Chill Winston Grisette
Great Lakes Miami Weiss White Pale Ale

Right now:
Great Lakes Octopus Wants To Fight IPA

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Collective Arts Rhyme and Reason Extra Pale Ale.

Very good stuff.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

atomeyes wrote:... and Roche: the earth quality's a great description. the fruitcake drops and earth comes out.
Maybe this is BS but I find leaving a partially-consumed Roche stoppered in the fridge a few days does only good things for it. Perhaps it 'breathes' or perhaps there's just a hint more of the bottle lees in the pour, but I'm thinking a touch of oxygen contact can falsely 'age' a bottle of something that is not quite knit together yet. Certainly goes for tannic red wines.
In Beerum Veritas