Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

Chimay Gold - Better than expected.
Fat Tug - July 18 bottling, drinking well. Wish I could get it under a month old.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

Flying monkeys coast to coast less-this has been sitting in the fridge for about a year. I really enjoyed it, not sure how it was fresh....but this was drinking a bit like a stout. Lots of chocolate,plum,raisin and some black tea The hops have basically completely disappeared however

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

At Bar Hop:
Folly Rhizome (draft)
Bar Hop Tremelo (draft)
Dieu du Ciel! Péché Mortel (sample)

At Milos' Craft Beer Emporium:
Neustadt Scottish Ale (draft)
Forked River Lord Simcoe's Revenge (draft)
Black Oak Triple Chocolate Cherry Stout (draft)

At home:
Smuttynose Finestkind IPA
Great Lakes Raspberry Saison
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

Are you able to find some relatively fresh finest kind? I've never seen any that's nit a good few months old

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

sofakingdrunk wrote: Are you able to find some relatively fresh finest kind? I've never seen any that's nit a good few months old
The sixer that I grabbed was roughly a month and half old, based on the "six months from bottling" best before date on the bottle neck. I bought it at the Stockyards Beer Store. I agree that fresh stock is hard to come by, as they still had some lingering six packs that expired today, and the Robust Porter bottles expired in June. So I always check the dates, and if the bottles are too old, I pass.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

Well, good to know that there is some hope. I bought one six pack when it first came along, I believe it was about 3 months old at the time....tasty enough but age was beginning to show. At the price point, I'm not going to buy again until I see fresher stuff. The porter, I'm more likely to buy, regardless of age

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

A 2013 saison DuPont that drank beautifully. One of the better bottles I've had

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

On consecutive nights this week.

Broadhead Bodacious Blueberry Blonde
Waterloo Blueberry Weizenbier
Lake of the Woods Forgotten Lake Blueberry Ale

If you like this sort of thing, the Broadhead had the strongest, most distinctive blueberry flavour for me.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

At Goodlake:
Left Field Day Game Session IPA (draft) - fantastic APA, bright and aromatic nose with citrus and stone fruit flavours and a lightly drying finish; big taste for 3.9% ABV.
MacKinnon Brothers Origin Hefeweizen (draft) - Where to start? A hefeweizen shouldn't be amber-orange in colour; it shouldn't be light bodied bordering on watery; and it shouldn't taste like an EPA. I'm giving up on these guys.

At home:
Goose Island Rambler IPA - decent hoppy red ale; spicy, herbal, and piney hop flavours with a caramel and toasted malt backbone. Not bad, but I probably won't revisit.

Provost Drunk

Post by Provost Drunk »

Del Ducato Vieille Ville
Jolly Pumpkin Bam Biere

I enjoyed both, but the Vieille Ville really stood out. It was a little more subtle and nuanced on the palate with some nice minerality and saison yeast spice underlying the brett tartness. Nice lively mouthfeel as well. Although I liked it, I'm not sure how often I'll revisit this one at it's price (roughly $7.50 for a 330 mL bottle - I split a 12 pack with some buddies).

Bam Biere was bolder with more barnyard funk.

Coronaeus

Post by Coronaeus »

Over the past week:

Foolproof Revery RIS
Bellwoods Jelly King
Trou du Diable Baron Noir
Block Three Frankenstout
Driftwood Blackstone Porter
Goose Island BCBS 2015 (Not infected!! Yay!!)
Dunham Deze Monnik is Dronken.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

At home:
Great Lakes Limp Puppet Session IPA - solid low gravity pale, though I prefer the Sunnyside to this one (brighter and more robust hop character).
Great Lakes Pumpkin Ale - straightforward but tasty pumpkin ale with a moderate level of spice. Good quaff.
Stone Delicious IPA - bottled July 15th and still holding up well. Aggressive lemony and resinous hop flavour with a boldly bitter finish. Malt profile is a bit sweeter than the draft. A great beer.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Chimay Gold - really nice round yet crisp ale, has a touch of lager 'edge' unexpected but still a gorgeous apple fruit and creamy texture, pale malt, honey. Spicy phenolics are round, barely clovey/peppery, sweet and subtle. Don't overlook this one, it's usually only the Abbaye Scourmont monks get to enjoy it.
In Beerum Veritas

Provost Drunk

Post by Provost Drunk »

I'll reaffirm all of the love that Chimay Gold has been getting. I'm just getting around to trying it now, and it has exceeded my expectations. I think it is more tripel-esque than most Belgian blondes, with a lovely spicy yeast character and crisp, dry finish. As a big tripel fan, it does taste a bit watered down at times by comparison - but that is the whole point of this beer at 4.8% ABV and I think it does a great at maximizing the taste:alcohol ratio. A great option for those looking to toss a few back on a summer's afternoon without feeling the effects. I used to feel bad for the monks, brewing their strongest and beers for the layperson while drinking only patersbier themselves. Maybe they don't have it so bad after all...

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Agreed provost, same flavor refinement as a good tripel but without the usual sharp hop bittering and the massive palate from high ABV alcohol.

To me it over-delivers on being a more easy-going beer. It reminds me of some of the really impressive things that hooked me about craft ales back in the beginning.
In Beerum Veritas