Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New Glarus beers?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

duckdown

New Glarus beers?

Post by duckdown »

Self confessed fruit beer fanatic.

Drank Fruli on draught last night on a patio, and loved every sip. Not ashamed in the slightest. One of my highlights of a trip to PEI was the Gahan wild blueberry ale fresh from the brewpub.

So yesterday I discovered a Top Rated section in Untappd, and sorted by fruit beers.

Seems these guys dominate the field, several fruit infusions and all of them highly rated.

Whats the story here? Anyone tried these? Historically has anything ever been available for purchase outside Wisconsin?

Thanks guys! Cheers

Chris

Post by Chris »

New Glarus is incredible. First drank them when they were available in Buffalo in the late 90's. Since then unfortunately, they decided that they would only distribute to within Wisconsin.

I've driven to Wisconsin several times to bring back kegs of Raspberry Tart, Belgian Red and Serendipity. Served them at my wedding. I believe they all share the sour brown ale base, with different mixes of fruits to balance out the sour. Wonderfully complex beers. They've had the sour brown base in bottles before (as part of their "thumbprint" series). Fruli is not even close in comparison.

I haven't had them for over a couple years now unfortunately. I'd be interested to see how it stacks up now in context with all the explosion in sours that is occurring.

A road trip to Wisconsin is HIGHLY recommended! (Maddison is a LOVELY city!)

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Chris nails it on NG. They are highly sought after beers, in the past having distributed out of state, but for the last number of years only available within Wisconsin.

Belgian Red is one of my all-time favourites, a "desert island" beer for me. It's one of the first beers that I found to be truly revelatory, and remains to this day.

Their brewery is a sight to be seen, an incredible facility which is a standard of many modern US breweries, insofar as the design allows visitors to do a self guided tour without getting too close to any of the equipment.

Concur that a trip to Madison is time and money well spent. It's a great little city with many fun bars, a great beer scene and good people.

duckdown

Post by duckdown »

Holy smokes..

Only adds to the allure, no doubt..

I've got some "youthful indiscretions" on my record unfortunately.. let's just say America isn't 420-friendly and hasn't allowed me across the border, lol.

Damn.

Thanks for the information regardless though !!

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

Some people do the rounds, and the bottles cost 9.99 $ USD for a 750ml bomber of these beers.

Surely someone with a big heart can mule some over for you. Reach out, you never know.

duckdown

Post by duckdown »

I don't know who to reach out to, I'm the lone craft beer drinker in my circle of friends. It's terrible!

But, in case anybody ever discovers this thread by mistake and sees this, I am definitely interested :)

cheers!

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Next time I'm down there I'll grab ya something!