Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Now having the Amager / 18th Street Lawrence of Arabica, it's pretty full-tasting for a mid-ABV Porter.
Honestly feeling slightly tired of coffee brews for the time being, I think the Amager or Nøgne Ø Imperial Stout would suit me just as well.
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Belgian wrote:The convenient solution is Schofferhofer Grapefruit, a 50/50 blend of real juice and Hefeweizen (unfiltered German wheat beer)...

I want to try a fresh blend using Weizen and fresh-squeezed GF, that sounds damn good (and even using organic fruit it's probably about the same cost for more volume...)
Juiced some fresh organic pink grapefruits, mixed about 50/50 with Side Launch Wheat in Weizen glasses. Really good! The thing is to not add too much beer in the glasses too quickly, and to keep fully half the mix grapefruit juice. It's a nice 'beer cocktail' after a bike ride.

Also - Creemore Altbier. Still a good one.
In Beerum Veritas

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

At home:
Chimay Dorée
Flying Monkeys Deep Tracks American Brown Ale
Great Lakes Saison Dupump
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Rochefort 10, this is an exceptional batch it seems with some chocolate aromas and the right kind of black grape and fruit cake flavors in harmony with the earthy herbal dryness. Wow. I can almost kill a serious red wine craving with this level of beer.

De Dolle Stille Nacht 2009, smoothly rich and mellow and intensely layered with a fine carbonation, reverberates with caramel and both sweet and slightly tart fruit, a very compelling argument to buy this brewery's stuff because for me it always has something extra going on. A very matured but enduring ale.
(I had the first of two bottles in March of 2010!)
Belgian in 2010 wrote:Fresh 33cl bottle. Like other De Dolle, this is dense, complex, and beguiling in its ambrosial aromas and glassy texture. Look is clear dark amber and ample variegated head (both dense and bubbly.) Irresistablly sour-prickly aromas of tart tropic fruit and lemon and bright hop. Taste dives right into deep sweet and tart fruit with a top of spice and lemon. Amazing full-body texture that could be heavy instead is lifted by peppery spiciness and light acidity. Long fine hops in finish and replays of tart and sweet fruit like hall of mirrors. Magnificent work of art. Very complete, and the slight sweetness may balance with aging so I will try that with bottle B.
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Jolly Pumpkin Bam Biere, in the all-important Duvel Tulip. Much enjoyed. Sour-ish profile with herbal-spicy notes and tart fruit hardly surprising if you've tried the Bam Noire or the Calabaza Blanca.
In Beerum Veritas

ry_kinney

Post by ry_kinney »

Beau's St. Luke's Verse. Drainpour for me, similar spicing to Swiss Chalet dipping sauce and I just couldn't get over it. Gross.

skootles

Post by skootles »

ry_kinney wrote:Beau's St. Luke's Verse. Drainpour for me, similar spicing to Swiss Chalet dipping sauce and I just couldn't get over it. Gross.
Yeah I remember trying that when it came out and it tasted like drinking a cup full of flowers and soap.

ry_kinney

Post by ry_kinney »

skootles wrote:
ry_kinney wrote:Beau's St. Luke's Verse. Drainpour for me, similar spicing to Swiss Chalet dipping sauce and I just couldn't get over it. Gross.
Yeah I remember trying that when it came out and it tasted like drinking a cup full of flowers and soap.
I've liked some of their other spicr beers, I remember the bogwater being pretty interesting and delicious but this one was awful.

CoolB

Post by CoolB »

Exchange brewery #1 Hefeweizen sample - Good but thin and not much on the back end.
Exchange Brewery EXB White IPA - Very nice, I like Phillips Electric Unicorn White IPA a bit better however.
High Road Brewing Bronan Vermont style IPA - At first i was a bit disappointed because I was expecting something thicker and juicier but by the end of the brew this one has become one of my favorite Ontario IPA's. I think it would be better classified as a west coast IPA though. Kinda reminded me of Fat Tug.
Innocente Batch_03 Purgatory Black Cream Ale - Very smooth and easy to drink. Imagine a black lager without the roasted finish.

Sampled everything on Tap at Kame and Kettle as well. Too many to remember at this point but I really enjoyed the Schwarzbier, Kolsch and the blueberry infused Bleu Saison.
You know what I have in my cellar? Dust, I have dust in my cellar.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

At Olde Cheshire Cheese and Temple Brew House in London, UK:
St. Austell Tribute Cornish Pale Ale (cask)
Camden Town Camden Ink (draft)
The Kernel Pale Ale Mosaic (draft)
Beavertown Gamma Ray (draft)
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

The past little while:

Stone IPA-this is my second experience with this beer, the first being a not so fresh 6pack in Vegas a few years ago. This time, i believe the bottling date was sometime in July, so not so bad....but I still wasn't really wowed by this beer. It was ok, but for my money, we have just as good if not better/fresher ipa for better value. I don't think i'll be buying again.

Stone Arrogant bastard-this i really enjoyed, a big beer that i could see myself drinking regularly over the cooler months. Lots going on and great flavour.

Bellwoods mango IPA- really juicy and tasty, but i found it a little bit thin. Still, i would drink this everyday if i could

hitachino saison du japon-very tasty stuff, nice lively carbonation,maybe a little bit sweet, but i love the Yuzu flavour in it

nickelbrook wet hop-I like that this is cheaper now, and available in tall boys but for me, it wasn't quite as good as the past couple years, although still tasty.

Wild beer sleeping lemons- i found this quite refreshing and really did get the preserved lemon flavour, nice and dry, not sure that i'd call it a Gose though. Definately one of the more unique beers i've had in a while.

Bam bierre-still loving this

Barncat Rat queen-excellent beer, huge roasty malts and coffee,subtle carbonation, rich and creamy mouthfeel, not too sweet with just a touch of hops on the finish. I'm glad i've got a couple more in the cellar, one of the better impy stouts i've had in a while

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

At The Harp:
Crouch Vale Posh Bitter (cask)
Thornbridge Pollards Coffee Milk Stout (cask)
Dark Star Hophead (cask)

At Cask Pub & Kitchen:
Stancil India Brown Ale (cask)
Prairie Funky Gold Simcoe (draft)
Pressure Drop Bosko IPA (draft)
Weird Beard Saison 14 (draft)

At The Admiralty:
Fuller’s Oliver’s Island Golden Ale (cask)
Fuller's London Porter (draft)

At Belgo Centraal:
Troubadour Spéciale (bottle)
Lindemans Gueuze (bottle)

At Craft Beer Co. Covent Garden:
Dark Star Green Hopped IPA (cask)
Five Points Railway Porter (draft)
The Kernel India Pale Ale 4C (draft)
Tiny Rebel Can You Smell What The Bock Is Cookin’? (draft)

Everything is available in half pints, which is ideal for the curious sampling tourist :lol:

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Colour me envious - everything I've had from Dark Star has been fantastic. Did those ones drink well?

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

At BrewDog Camden:
BrewDog Jet Black Heart (draft)
BrewDog Jack Hammer IPA (draft)
Beavertown Quelle Saison (sample)

At The Bree Louise:
Flying Monk Jackdaw Porter (cask)
Franklins N Is For North Shore IPA (cask)
Windsor & Eton Conqueror Black IPA (cask)

At Euston Tap:
Summer Wine Stateside (cask)
The Kernel Export India Porter (bottle)
Magic Rock Salty Kiss Gooseberry Gose (can)
Chorlton Citra Brett Pale (sample)
Siren Calypso Berliner Weisse - Calypso (sample)
Pressure Drop Pale Fire (sample)

At The Mitre:
Greene King IPA (cask)
Eden Rocket Three Hop American Amber Ale (cask)

At The Porterhouse Covent Garden:
Porterhouse Plain Porter (draft)
Porterhouse Hop Head (draft)
Porterhouse Wrasslers XXXX Stout (draft)

At The Harp (round three):
Weird Beard Little Things That Kill (sample)
Windsor & Eton Guardsman Fresh Green Hop (cask)
Oakham Scarlet Macaw (cask)
The Kernel India Pale Ale Mosaic (draft)
Bobsy wrote:Colour me envious - everything I've had from Dark Star has been fantastic. Did those ones drink well?
They were drinking very well. In fact the Hophead may be the best session beer I've ever had. Big hop flavours and aromas and a full-bodied palate despite the 3.8% ABV. They definitely know what they're doing.
Last edited by cratez on Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

At Brewberry in Paris, France:
Naparbier ZZ+ Amber Ale (draft)
To Øl Snowball Saison (sample)
Cantillon Kriek (draft)
Naparbier Napar Pale Ale (draft)
Naparbier Aker IPA (draft)

At Académie de La Bière:
Cantillon Gueuze (draft)
Westmalle Dubbel (bottle)
Orval Trappist Ale (bottle)

At La Fine Mousse (Bar & Restaurant):
The Kernel Table Beer (bottle)
The Kernel India Pale Ale Black (draft)
The Kernel London Sour Raspberry (draft)
Les Brasseurs du Grand Paris IPA Citra Galactique (draft)

And a bunch of wine at random cafes in between. So far the Bar Towel place recos are working out wonderfully (thanks folks!). Also love the fact that 250ml pours are available at most bars. Brewberry even does 125ml pours. :D