Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Sediment

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Sediment

Post by beerstodiscover »

Where do you beer geniuses stand on sediment?

I've heard any sediment in wheat beer should be poured into the glass. Unibroue recommends slowly rotating their bottles before opening to mix some sediment into the beer. What about other Belgian ales? Sours? Fruited, spiced or otherwise flavoured beer?

Does anyone have any examples of where adding sediment improves the flavour of a beer?

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

Personal taste, but I usually pour til the first sediment arrives, and dump the last 1/8 to 1/4 inch out.

I also find the sediment gives me horrid gas.

Napalm Frog

Post by Napalm Frog »

I know the Sawdust cans have an explicit pour method to minimize the taste from the sediment.

Me personally, I'll generally pour a full glass less the sediment, and once I drank half the glass, I swirl the sediment to pick up as much as possible, and pour it all in. I personally like the really bolder flavours, but I know it's not how many breweries intend to have their beers drank, so that's why I usually start "clean".

Hoppy's Tavern

Post by Hoppy's Tavern »

i haven't had many beers with sediment, maybe a couple.
There is nothing wrong with drinking the sediment, however, I have chosen not to.
I put a paper coffee filter over my glass and pour the beer into the filter, clean glass of beer with no sediment.