Uncorked-Wine and Spirits Appreciation

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: GregClow, Cass

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Fine Ruby Port

Postby Belgian » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:23 pm

Bulas Fine Ruby Port / Porto

Very fine indeed, almost drinks like a good solid Portugal red but with added richness. By turns sweet, acidic and dry. Some warm-climate herbals & florals at back of palate, interesting intense red fruit, cherry. Some peppery spice. It is somewhat simple and friendly as a Ruby Port, hence the color and yet it is also solid from some barrel aging and blending (average of 3 years.) This might not last forever as a tipple in the fridge, it should hold for several days then start to oxidize a bit... but after that it will still be amazing for a beef saute.

I love these wines! So much range, value and quality in the fortified styles. They seem to be good with snacks like nuts and chocolate. The Burmester 10y Tawny Porto I opened months ago still tastes really decent, it's a more 'oxidated' style so I naturally expect it to live in the fridge a bit longer.
In Beerum Veritas
Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Rhone on the Strange

Postby Belgian » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:42 pm

Foncalieu Réserve du Crouzau St.-Gervais Côtes du Rhône-Villages 2012

Sounded promising, as I tend to love Rhone wines; disappointingly the bottle I tried did not seem very good. It came across as fairly raw and un-integrated, lacking good Rhone grape character & defined structure. Tough going and not much to enjoy in the drinking, I'd even say surprisingly bad even at a fair value point (that really depends on quality.)

Aside: I have read that wines of a high production volume can be hard to replicate between each batch of the same year vintage, making some bottlings come out better or worse depending on the production batch. There is simply no way to combine all the harvest from all plots & grape types into one ginormous blending vat for theoretically perfect consistency of all bottles. So instead they approximate the blend for each batch while trying to compensate for the variances in what they are blending, with the intention that the actually different bottling runs are for practical purposes similar enough as to make little difference.
In Beerum Veritas

Return to “Random Talk”