Ontario brewed Tripels...

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: GregClow, Cass

User avatar
darmokandjalad
Posts: 260
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:04 pm
Location: Ridgetown, ON

Re: Ontario brewed Tripels...

Postby darmokandjalad » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:29 pm

The New Limburg and Publican House tripels have been rolling out to stores across SW Ontario over the last few weeks. Saw both of them in Sarnia the other day (and if they're here, it's probably safe to assume they're nearly everywhere). Picked up a bottle of each but haven't cracked 'em open yet.

Interested to see how these two compare with the series of Belgian tripels that I sampled last week (St. Bernardus Tripel, Watou Tripel, Westmalle, Chimay, Karmeliet and a Mill Street Betelgeuse). They were getting close to a year old, and cellaring tripels is generally a waste so I wanted to get them all out asap. Karmeliet was the best of the 6, if anyone cares, with St. Bernardus and Westmalle taking 2nd and 3rd.
beerstodiscover
Posts: 440
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:16 pm
Contact:

Re: Ontario brewed Tripels...

Postby beerstodiscover » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:21 am

Anyone tasted Side Launch or New Limburg's tripels?
sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly
Posts: 650
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:55 am
Location: Guelph

Re: Ontario brewed Tripels...

Postby sofakingdrunk » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:45 pm

I did have the new limburg about 2 weeks ago.....that night is a bit foggy though, so I can't remember too many specifics about it. I remember really enjoying it and thinking it quite similar to FDM
User avatar
MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly
Posts: 724
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:45 pm
Location: Woolwich, ON
Contact:

Re: Ontario brewed Tripels...

Postby MatttthewGeorge » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:28 pm

beerstodiscover wrote:Anyone tasted New Limburg's tripel?


Definitely worth a purchase.
untappd/tweetbox/facebitch/snapitychat/etc: @matttthewgeorge
beerstodiscover
Posts: 440
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:16 pm
Contact:

Re: Ontario brewed Tripels...

Postby beerstodiscover » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:36 pm

Had the New Limburg last night, really good stuff. Lots of bright, fruity esters. No bitterness, which I've found some traditional tripels have, such as Westmalle.
User avatar
ErkLR
Posts: 378
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:21 am
Location: London, ON

Re: Ontario brewed Tripels...

Postby ErkLR » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:08 pm

Since people were talking about it earlier, I thought I'd mention Forked River has Trinity back in stock. You can order it online if you're not in London, I have no idea what the shipping charges are like.
ercousin
Posts: 453
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:05 pm
Location: Toronto

Re: Ontario brewed Tripels...

Postby ercousin » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:04 pm

Shacklands has a tasty tripel!
GTA Brews - Toronto's Homebrew Club - http://www.gtabrews.ca/

Eric's Brewing Blog - Advanced Homebrewing for the Intermediate Brewer - http://www.ericbrews.com/
Provost Drunk
Posts: 301
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:36 am
Location: Toronto

Re: Ontario brewed Tripels...

Postby Provost Drunk » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:12 am

So MERIT has added to the list of ON brewed experimental tripels with By and By. It's brewed with wine skins and lees. What is the obsession with these types of adjuncts with this style? Would be great to see more tripels that stand on their own.
seangm
Posts: 202
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:44 pm

Re: Ontario brewed Tripels...

Postby seangm » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:28 am

Provost Drunk wrote:So MERIT has added to the list of ON brewed experimental tripels with By and By. It's brewed with wine skins and lees. What is the obsession with these types of adjuncts with this style? Would be great to see more tripels that stand on their own.


Haven't you heard, you need a minimum two adjuncts to get all the tickers and trend chasers to try your beer.
Coronaeus
Posts: 238
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:11 pm

Re: Ontario brewed Tripels...

Postby Coronaeus » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:38 am

seangm wrote:
Provost Drunk wrote:So MERIT has added to the list of ON brewed experimental tripels with By and By. It's brewed with wine skins and lees. What is the obsession with these types of adjuncts with this style? Would be great to see more tripels that stand on their own.


Haven't you heard, you need a minimum two adjuncts to get all the tickers and trend chasers to try your beer.



Where is the like button?
User avatar
El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker
Posts: 1389
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2005 6:02 pm
Location: Downtown TO / Galapagos Islands
Contact:

Re: Ontario brewed Tripels...

Postby El Pinguino » Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:27 pm

There are a lot of beers I've had, where I wonder what the base beer would taste like...what a fun beer tasting that could be too.
Try a bunch of base beers, then try their amped up versions.

Considering how difficult it seems for anyone to do a good base tripel in Ontario, I guess this is a safer way to hide any flaws in the base beer.
seangm
Posts: 202
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:44 pm

Re: Ontario brewed Tripels...

Postby seangm » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:51 am

El Pinguino wrote:There are a lot of beers I've had, where I wonder what the base beer would taste like...what a fun beer tasting that could be too.
Try a bunch of base beers, then try their amped up versions.

Considering how difficult it seems for anyone to do a good base tripel in Ontario, I guess this is a safer way to hide any flaws in the base beer.


I've had my fair share of occasions where I've enjoyed a beer with an addition, but went back to their base offering and found it just wasn't very good. Then I'm left thinking, I could've just added fruit juice to a cheaper beer at home and saved some money. Definitely feels like additions are being used to hide flaws in some cases, or possibly just bad recipe development.

Damn, our latest batch didn't come out very good at all... That's ok we'll just add 200 kg of fruit puree to it.

Do I sound bitter? Lol. There are definitely some adjunct loaded beers I've loved, but my favourite beers tend to be well executed examples of a given style, free from adulteration.

Return to “Random Talk”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 14 guests