What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: GregClow, Cass

User avatar
Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker
Posts: 1672
Joined: Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:21 pm
Location: Toronto

Re: What're you drinking right now?

Postby Tapsucker » Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:03 pm

I'm scared to go out due to the miasma, so have been mostly hunkered down with home brew. However I did find something interesting in the old survival cellar on Saturday. One last bottle of Central City/Flying Monkeys Red on Red collaboration. I'm glad I bought a bunch back in the day, this really aged well. Loved it on release and opened a couple along he way over the years. It definitely matured well. The only minor complaint was a bit of vegetal hop notes, but I think I recall that when it was young too, and certainly was not off putting.

Seriously, hoard a few things for a pandemic, you never know when you will appreciate them. :D
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.
seangm
Posts: 291
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:44 pm

Re: What're you drinking right now?

Postby seangm » Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:51 am

Tapsucker wrote:I'm scared to go out due to the miasma, so have been mostly hunkered down with home brew. However I did find something interesting in the old survival cellar on Saturday. One last bottle of Central City/Flying Monkeys Red on Red collaboration. I'm glad I bought a bunch back in the day, this really aged well. Loved it on release and opened a couple along he way over the years. It definitely matured well. The only minor complaint was a bit of vegetal hop notes, but I think I recall that when it was young too, and certainly was not off putting.

Seriously, hoard a few things for a pandemic, you never know when you will appreciate them. :D


Same here, this is forcing me to go through the "cellar" since I've been sitting on far too many beers. Recently drank a bottle of Great Lake's 30th Anniversary BBA imperial stout, but I've still got a bottle of the 25th Anniversary RIS left- I should probably get on that one.
User avatar
Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker
Posts: 1672
Joined: Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:21 pm
Location: Toronto

Re: What're you drinking right now?

Postby Tapsucker » Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:29 pm

seangm wrote:
Tapsucker wrote:I'm scared to go out due to the miasma, so have been mostly hunkered down with home brew. However I did find something interesting in the old survival cellar on Saturday. One last bottle of Central City/Flying Monkeys Red on Red collaboration. I'm glad I bought a bunch back in the day, this really aged well. Loved it on release and opened a couple along he way over the years. It definitely matured well. The only minor complaint was a bit of vegetal hop notes, but I think I recall that when it was young too, and certainly was not off putting.

Seriously, hoard a few things for a pandemic, you never know when you will appreciate them. :D


Same here, this is forcing me to go through the "cellar" since I've been sitting on far too many beers. Recently drank a bottle of Great Lake's 30th Anniversary BBA imperial stout, but I've still got a bottle of the 25th Anniversary RIS left- I should probably get on that one.


I' too have a 25th Anniversary squirreled away. I've been saving it for a special occasion. Yesterday I decided that occasion will be when I can have a beer with friends again. I hope it doesn't have to age too much longer. It should now be just about right.
Brands are for cattle.

Fans are cash cows.

The herd will consume until consumed.
seangm
Posts: 291
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:44 pm

Re: What're you drinking right now?

Postby seangm » Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:29 am

Tapsucker wrote:
seangm wrote:
Tapsucker wrote:I'm scared to go out due to the miasma, so have been mostly hunkered down with home brew. However I did find something interesting in the old survival cellar on Saturday. One last bottle of Central City/Flying Monkeys Red on Red collaboration. I'm glad I bought a bunch back in the day, this really aged well. Loved it on release and opened a couple along he way over the years. It definitely matured well. The only minor complaint was a bit of vegetal hop notes, but I think I recall that when it was young too, and certainly was not off putting.

Seriously, hoard a few things for a pandemic, you never know when you will appreciate them. :D


Same here, this is forcing me to go through the "cellar" since I've been sitting on far too many beers. Recently drank a bottle of Great Lake's 30th Anniversary BBA imperial stout, but I've still got a bottle of the 25th Anniversary RIS left- I should probably get on that one.


I' too have a 25th Anniversary squirreled away. I've been saving it for a special occasion. Yesterday I decided that occasion will be when I can have a beer with friends again. I hope it doesn't have to age too much longer. It should now be just about right.


Sounds like a good occasion, hopefully it comes sooner than later.
User avatar
Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker
Posts: 1672
Joined: Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:21 pm
Location: Toronto

Re: What're you drinking right now?

Postby Tapsucker » Fri May 01, 2020 10:39 pm

I did another cellar dive and pulled out a 2014 Glutenberg Imperial Sotolon. I recall this being an interesting and nice beer as far as being something directed at a specific dietary audience.

I'd say it survived and thrived in the cellar on most points, but wow (ick, gross, yack, puke), did this end up with a cloying maple syrup flavor. When young there was a little in the background, now I feel like I just tasted some horrible CNE confectionery of the year. BLAH!

Anybody here remember when Rogue went from an interesting brewery to jumping the shark with that maple bacon crap? This brought back that sad memory.
Brands are for cattle.

Fans are cash cows.

The herd will consume until consumed.
matt7215
Beer Superstar
Posts: 2974
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:18 am
Location: Brantford

Re: What're you drinking right now?

Postby matt7215 » Sat May 09, 2020 2:33 pm

3F Golden Blend 2014
beerstodiscover
Bar Fly
Posts: 559
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:16 pm
Contact:

Re: What're you drinking right now?

Postby beerstodiscover » Sat May 09, 2020 7:07 pm

Goose Island Brewhouse Dysphoria - BBA Baltic porter. Definitely barrel forward, lots of bourbon, sweet vanilla oak and caramel. Well carbonated and feels thin for 12.9% beer. Very enjoyable.
User avatar
Belgian
Bar Towel Legend
Posts: 9862
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2004 6:15 pm
Location: Earth

Re: What're you drinking right now?

Postby Belgian » Tue May 19, 2020 9:16 pm

I am having a Great Divide Yeti Imperial Stout for the first time, the non-oaked version.

I like the bit of roast and rich chocolate, I also find the caramel sweet element and green-woody hops are a little strong.
In Beerum Veritas
seangm
Posts: 291
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:44 pm

Re: What're you drinking right now?

Postby seangm » Wed May 20, 2020 9:04 am

Belgian wrote:I am having a Great Divide Yeti Imperial Stout for the first time, the non-oaked version.

I like the bit of roast and rich chocolate, I also find the caramel sweet element and green-woody hops are a little strong.


I love this one, personally I enjoyed it most at around 1 1/2 yrs old as I find that initial hop note dies down and lets the chocolate and roast really shine.
User avatar
Belgian
Bar Towel Legend
Posts: 9862
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2004 6:15 pm
Location: Earth

Re: What're you drinking right now?

Postby Belgian » Fri May 22, 2020 8:50 pm

Having a Sweetwater IPA, honestly not that exciting after a Bellwoods Jutsu but regardless it's fairly solid quaff.

We're so spoiled for IPA in 2020... I suspect this one is aged at no extra charge by the LCBO.

Also having a COLLECTIVE ARTS Mango Tangerine Sour. It's pretty good I think.
In Beerum Veritas
beerstodiscover
Bar Fly
Posts: 559
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:16 pm
Contact:

Re: What're you drinking right now?

Postby beerstodiscover » Sat May 23, 2020 6:02 pm

Jolly Pumpkin Oro de Calabaza — Three years resting in the bottle and it's lovely: bright, dry, funky, with some lemon character and gives me vivid Orval flashbacks. The 8% abv is invisible until you get to the end of the bottle. Glad I swiped a few of these when LCBO was discounting them.

Return to “Random Talk”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest

cron