Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

X-mas dinner

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:
ckoop wrote: i can't imagine how you guys with 100+ bottle cellars do it.
Well, given that many of the bottles in my cellar are multiples or at least different vintages of the same beer, that helps...
Yes a few cases of very strong Belgian ales, Thomas Hardy, Fullers Vintage & Samichlaus-type stuff etc does not really count toward the total right? Those are legacy beers that will matter some years later.

It's the miscellany of single/few bottle treasures that we covet/accumulate which aren't 'right' for just any-day drinking, those we should worry when they get to be greater in number than 80 or 100... and create occasion to empty them.

Oh and I'll TRY to get to some of the hoard over XMAS... I have a few DEUS from the tiny 2012 shipment (I think we got 20 cases / 240 bottles for the whole province or something crazy like that?) More than anything I want to relax & exercise and not eat too much xmas crap or be too hard on the liver! ;)
In Beerum Veritas

mahcinesquad

Post by mahcinesquad »

midlife crisis wrote:I've always thought Orval was the perfect Christmas Day beer, and I try to make that a sort of tradition.
Thank you! That reminded me that I still have one tucked away for Christmas this year.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Yeah, I had a 6 month old Orval for thanksgiving and it was phenomenal... Probably do a repeat. But saisons and other belgian brews are also a great choice... Lifts the grease from the turkey and pairs well with the spices.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Last minute LCBO hit this morning and picked up a Bons Voeux. Will crack that over the holidays, along with whatever else looks good from the cellar :)

jprime

Post by jprime »

St. Bernardus Christmas on a 15 degree Christmas Day in New Brunswick.

kevinlater

Post by kevinlater »

i think i'll crack open the aventinus eisbock i bought earlier this year

Inkling

Post by Inkling »

Wine with dinner, but had a Maredsous beforehand. It is a good Christmas beer.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Cass wrote:Last minute LCBO hit this morning and picked up a Bons Voeux. Will crack that over the holidays, along with whatever else looks good from the cellar :)
Brought this to the in-laws for dinner and it was a hit with the older folks. I know we all make fun of it, but I think there is something to be said about good packaging to draw people`s attention.

I really liked it, but found it quite heavy on the bitterness - very spicy too, which was great - is it a tripel or a dubbel saison - is there a difference... Happy Holiday`s everyone.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John