Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

X-mas dinner

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

X-mas dinner

Post by sofakingdrunk »

Curious, as to what everyone's planning on drinking with x-mas dinner. I'm thinking of taking a bottle of Dupont Bons Veoux and a Unibroue ephemere cranberry over to family dinner.

Baulz

Post by Baulz »

My in-laws are rednecks/farmers. They give you a weird look for drinking anything but Bud or Coors.

I would love to be able to share one of the Unibroue 17's that have been waiting in the basement for a couple years.

ckoop

Post by ckoop »

I've been looking forward to the holidays more than ever this year since i've accumulated a lot of good stuff to share with visiting friends from out of town. And between my family's Christmas dinner, inlaw christmas dinner, a large inlaw family get together tomorrow, friend drop by dinners and a bottle share over the holidays i've been shuffling around the the cellar trying to figure out what's getting drank when. i can't imagine how you guys with 100+ bottle cellars do it.

It's just my brother and I that enjoy the beer I'll bring to our Christmas dinner so i think we are splitting a jester king el cedro and a black tuesday or bolt cutter for dessert/relaxing. the inlaw stuff will just be regular fridge stock to get me through those.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

ckoop wrote: i can't imagine how you guys with 100+ bottle cellars do it.
Well, given that many of the bottles in my cellar are multiples or at least different vintages of the same beer, that helps.

For me, I am hosting the family for Christmas Eve dinner and trying to come up with an interesting tasting lineup, which is proving to be difficult but fun. It is usually a good time to pull out the 750 ml, high ABV bottles that I haven't been brave enough to tackle solo over the past few months. I have a fair share of those. So I am thinking that BA Narwhal will make an appearance along with a few others.

I usually pull out an Abyss for Christmas Day dinner, and will probably do that again this year.

Then when I head to the in-laws for a few days, I typically bring a few nice bottles to drink/share ... perfect time to drink those bottles that have been sitting in the cellar for a while because there are seems to be something more interesting to drink.

Christmas holidays always mean lots of beer and lots of sharing...

Kekumba

Post by Kekumba »

Planning to open the three Lou Pepe's at some point between the 24-27th. Fou Foune for sure on Christmas day, likely some other lambic as well.

instantkamera

Post by instantkamera »

TheSevenDuffs wrote: Christmas holidays always mean lots of beer and lots of sharing...
It has always been, far and away, my favourite time of year. Since I've become a craft enthusiast, it's only gotten better. Love to share awesome things with awesome people.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

imagine those of us that have 1000+ bottle cellars :-?

I've got lots of sharing to do over the holidays

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

spinrsx wrote:

Thank you for making me feel like less of a hoarder! It's rare to see someone post on this forum that they have a cellar larger than mine! lol

Ceecee

Post by Ceecee »

spinrsx wrote:I've got lots of sharing to do over the holidays
What time should I show up? :wink:

Ceecee

Post by Ceecee »

I'm thinking Dunham Saison du Pinacle Reserve and Dupont Cervesia with dinner and GLB 25th BARIS with dessert.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:
spinrsx wrote:

Thank you for making me feel like less of a hoarder! It's rare to see someone post on this forum that they have a cellar larger than mine! lol
I'll second that. I'm at about 300 bottles and I'm already struggling to figure out how I'm going to drink it all before it gets too old.

wilco

Post by wilco »

I'm planning on taking a bottle of Cuvee de Ranke to the in-laws for the Christmas Eve dinner, then Crooked Stave Persica on Christmas Day. They're picking up some Beyond the Pale for me, so I'll mix in that and maybe some Bellwoods I bring.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

There's a few guys on cellarhq that have 2000+. I check their cellars every now and then to make myself feel somewhat normal.

90% of what I have is imperial or sour, so I shouldn't have too much that will go to waste.
TheSevenDuffs wrote:
spinrsx wrote:

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

Had an early Christmas dinner last weekend, and had the bon veoux . It dissappeared pretty quickly, as there were more people wanting it over wine...

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

I've always thought Orval was the perfect Christmas Day beer, and I try to make that a sort of tradition.