Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Gandhi-Bot beer sparks controversy for U.S. brewer

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Gandhi-Bot beer sparks controversy for U.S. brewer

Post by S. St. Jeb »

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/gandhi-bot ... -1.2890088

The brewery may claim to want to honour Gandhi, but if we was vocally against alcohol, then I think this was a poor decision.
Last edited by S. St. Jeb on Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

groulxsome

Post by groulxsome »

makes an Indian pale ale blend
I thought it was just an IPA, but no, some thing called an Indian pale ale blend. (It says a blend of hops in the description.) :roll:

Tasty beer, probably a poor name, but maybe the folks in a tangle about it can try some Karma Citra to calm down. If they take the Gandhi out of the hoppy Gandhi-Bot, they'll just be left with Robohop!

J343MY

Post by J343MY »

lets wait for the Indian guy to chime in. I'm sure he'll be in here sooner or later.

Kish84
Bar Fly

Post by Kish84 »

J343MY wrote:lets wait for the Indian guy to chime in. I'm sure he'll be in here sooner or later.
I'm just trying to remember what "controversial" beer caused me to jokingly bring this up months ago.

I've never been offended with this, but thought it was odd to honour a man against alcohol, with alcohol.

I've only been to India once, and happen to be from the same state as Gandhi. There is a complete liquor ban in that state for residents, however, as a tourist I could have signed the appropriate paper work at the airport, but after a 12+hr journey we were having none of that. Getting black market beer was definitely an interesting experience. This guy for anyone interested.
"There's always money in the banana stand."

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

Can he play the "Im not a hophead, I have Indian friends!" Card?

I'd brew up a Hitler Mild just to piss them off. Or a Your mom's ale... Just goes down easy.

Why do we keep giving the microphone to everyone who is offended. There is always someone offended somewhere. It's getting so old.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Viewing people on equal terms, what does Gandhi being Indian have to do with it?

Would people completely lose their minds if a beer were named after Ringo Starr, David Bowie, Kate Beckinsale, Tom Cruise or Dick Dale? Heck some of them RHYME with 'ale....' and none of them drink.

No, these are just regular boring white celebrities, if they were long dead and had a tribute beer named after them (maybe not even their full name, same as this case) there would probably be no sanctimony around it. Lawsuit, perhaps...
Last edited by Belgian on Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In Beerum Veritas

Kish84
Bar Fly

Post by Kish84 »

I find it offensive that half of the commenters can't even spell Gandhi correctly. :D

On a side note, why do I ever read the comments???

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

J343MY wrote:lets wait for the Indian guy to chime in. I'm sure he'll be in here sooner or later.
don't tell me that clown has an account on here.
dude's spent the past decade infiltrating every form of toronto social media. and some morons think he's an actual non-parody account

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Kish84
Bar Fly

Post by Kish84 »

atomeyes wrote:
don't tell me that clown has an account on here.
dude's spent the past decade infiltrating every form of toronto social media. and some morons think he's an actual non-parody account
Ummm...He meant me.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

"Who's the hot chick with the glasses?"

A joke Conan just cracked about this controversy...alluding to what someone may say after drinking one and looking at Gandi's picture on the beer.

Rob Creighton
Bar Fly

Post by Rob Creighton »

So many beers...so many brands to create.
When brewers (who often aren't involved in branding or naming beers) stand around, we have a pint and occasionally generate names for brands. Many fall into the category of 'inappropriate ales' and will never see the light of day.

Examples:

Call Centre India Brown Ale - so complex that you can't understand it

Klansman Imperial White Ale - for the select few

Obama Care Malt Liquor - you don't feel any better but you don't care

and of course;

Our own Executioner's Ale which we produce for The Bent Elbow Pub and is made inappropriate by adding the tag line, "sponsored by Isis"

:o

admviolin

Post by admviolin »

Rob Creighton wrote:So many beers...so many brands to create.
When brewers (who often aren't involved in branding or naming beers) stand around, we have a pint and occasionally generate names for brands. Many fall into the category of 'inappropriate ales' and will never see the light of day.

Examples:

Call Centre India Brown Ale - so complex that you can't understand it

Klansman Imperial White Ale - for the select few

Obama Care Malt Liquor - you don't feel any better but you don't care

and of course;

Our own Executioner's Ale which we produce for The Bent Elbow Pub and is made inappropriate by adding the tag line, "sponsored by Isis"

:o
And they say breweries are running out of names...
http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2015/0 ... egal-spats

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Kish84 wrote: On a side note, why do I ever read the comments???
You're not the only one, apparently. Should we call you Kish instead of "that Indian guy"?

- that Canadian guy.
In Beerum Veritas

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

To me it's also offensive because it's just so stupid and tacky.

- older white guy
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.