Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Can we talk about whiskies?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Can we talk about whiskies?

Post by JeffPorter »

I'm wondering if we might be able to have a forum on this page where we can talk about new or upcoming whisky releases...

I know we have the wine and spirits appreciate page - which seems to mostly devoted to wine.

I'm finding I've spent a lot more time recently researching and trying scotches and (even more) bourbons that I feel like I need a place to ask people's opinions on certain whiskies who know a lot more than me.

So, for example...

One of the newest scotch releases through Vintages is the Robert Burns Single Malt and I'm just wondering if anyone's had any experience with it.

It seems to be fairly mild (almost and appertif whiskey) but seems to have very solid reviews and is quite inexpensive for a single malt.

So, that's my question, but lately I seem to have even more and I know there's lots of people who are knowledgeable enough on this board to discuss it with.

Anyway...any help with that question would be appreciative, but if you guys don't mind, I have so many questions to ask both about single malts and bourbons, that I may be posting some questions frequently.

Cheers,

Jeff
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

Beer'n'gin

Post by Beer'n'gin »

Hi Jeff, two sites you should check out if you haven't are http://whiskywhiskywhisky.com/forum/vie ... adea1d901d

and

http://www.connosr.com. Whisky x3 in particular has a page for Canadians - the above Maple Leaf Lounge and it's pretty Toronto centric, with a lot of discussion about new releases, price drops, and scotch prices stateside.

Connosr is great to check reviews and also has discussion is pretty lively as well. Many Canadians there.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

I bought the robbie burns whisky about 2 years ago.....still have one finger or so left. I believe each year is different, but the one I have is a very mild single malt. Really smooth and easy drinking, but also really forgettable. Probably worth the $40-45 i paid for it, but i'd view it as an intro whisky. That being said, this years may be fantastic, who knows.

I just bought another bottle from the same distillery, The Amarone cask Arran malt. Excellent stuff, you really pick up the red wine notes from the barrel, especially on the nose, really interesting. It actually looks like a cross between a whisky and a rose wine when it's in the glass.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

sofakingdrunk wrote:I bought the robbie burns whisky about 2 years ago.....still have one finger or so left. I believe each year is different, but the one I have is a very mild single malt. Really smooth and easy drinking, but also really forgettable. Probably worth the $40-45 i paid for it, but i'd view it as an intro whisky. That being said, this years may be fantastic, who knows.

I just bought another bottle from the same distillery, The Amarone cask Arran malt. Excellent stuff, you really pick up the red wine notes from the barrel, especially on the nose, really interesting. It actually looks like a cross between a whisky and a rose wine when it's in the glass.
I think the only thing that's bothering me about SMS is the colour added - just a little off putting - so I'm trying to stick mostly with bourbons right now and SMS that don't have colour in them - that, the price, and the positive reviews attracted me towards the Robert Burns. Tried it last night and it is mild, but quite nice. If you were doing a mini tasting, it seems like a good one to start with.

Thanks for the links to the sites - the whiskeyX3 site pretty much seems what I'm looking for.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

As the founder of Bourbon Week, I'd love to have a whisk(e)y thread on Bar Towel! :)