Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Stone beers in Ontario

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

counting on it coming and going, just like dogfishhead/founders/saranac/victory/greenflash/etc. ?
Ale's What Cures Ya wrote:Stone in Ontario. Such a long time coming. Love it.

For the brief time it'll be here it'll be the only thing I buy.

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Ale's What Cures Ya »

spinrsx wrote:counting on it coming and going, just like dogfishhead/founders/saranac/victory/greenflash/etc. ?
Yes indeed.

Kel Varnsen
Bar Fly

Post by Kel Varnsen »

spinrsx wrote:counting on it coming and going, just like dogfishhead/founders/saranac/victory/greenflash/etc. ?
Didn't those other breweries pull out of Ontario because they couldn't produce enough beer to keep up with US Demand. Stone is opening up a brewery in Virginia next year and one in Germany. Not sure they will have the same problem keeping up with demand that those other breweries did.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I hope Stone does well and stays up here and the quality remains stellar, Stone are regular buys for me in Buffalo and will definitely be a go-to brand for me in our little province.

Have you tried many of the Stone Anniversary Ales like the Bitter Chocolate, holy smokes Stone can brew, and the 12th Ann isn't even one of the more popular ones. Truth told their regular lineup is incredibly solid and Weltklasse. (Especially since they're going to Germany, how freaking cool is that.)
In Beerum Veritas

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Ale's What Cures Ya wrote:
Yes indeed.
One big difference is Stone (/their agent) is investing to bring in draught listings which none of the above ever did. A big question mark in my mind is if the beers can be priced competitively for people to buy.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

It's been a while since I have had many of Stone's core brands. It would be interesting to do a side by side with some local IPAs. I suspect I would take GLB over the Stone IPA personally, especially if the IPA is at a premium price point but we shall see. It's pretty cool that it's happening either way, as long as they arrive fresh and sell quickly enough to remain that way. Cautiously optimistic? :)

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

JerCraigs wrote:.It would be interesting to do a side by side with some local IPAs. I suspect I would take GLB over the Stone IPA personally, especially if the IPA is at a premium...
Well I've personally never had a problem with the Founders or the CC Red Racer coming all the way here in fine shape. So since I've rarely had a Stone IPA from Buffalo that seemed old, and those supply chains aren't always even reliable as ours, my money's on the Stone IPA getting to our greedy little hands pretty fresh and tasty, Jer.

I also don't see the general public having a problem enthusiastically embracing Stone IPA in a six pack format, so I imagine there will be a relatively fast shelf turnover if it does get to the shelf pretty quick. And now I can go eat my words with the next ridiculous LCBO warehouse holdup debacle
In Beerum Veritas

groulxsome

Post by groulxsome »

I wonder how/if the dropping Canadian dollar will effect the Stone prices. I mean, kinda a shitty time to have started a cross boarder expansion.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

groulxsome wrote:I wonder how/if the dropping Canadian dollar will effect the Stone prices. I mean, kinda a shitty time to have started a cross boarder expansion.
On the other hand, gas (transportation) is cheap!

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

groulxsome wrote:I wonder how/if the dropping Canadian dollar will effect the Stone prices. I mean, kinda a shitty time to have started a cross boarder expansion.
Hopefully, the agency in question has locked in some US dollars at a good rate to protect themselves.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

^ Sheesh Sid it wasn't long ago one USD cost ninety or so cents. Woulda been smart to put some money in a US dollar account (except then the CRA retards would come along to prevent any actual wealth from occurring - AKA the 'you can lose on currency swaps but you can't ever win' tax.)
In Beerum Veritas

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Belgian wrote: (except then the CRA retards would come along to prevent any actual wealth from occurring - AKA the 'you can lose on currency swaps but you can't ever win' tax.)
That must have been entirely tongue-in-cheek?

Who saw this coming? I wish I had put a fee bucks away in to a USD fund. Hindsight is 20/20...

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Not kidding Duffs, the CRA actually watch you like a hawk if you appear to speculate on currency with a USD account - buying far more than you ever use, and thereafter gaining too much from selling it. Banks should tell you this when you open a USD account here (a way to save money on buying US currency before you travel.)
In Beerum Veritas

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

My CFO always locks in rates for Euros & US dollars. He was smart and we`ve locked in many thousands of US dollars at 1.14, otherwise we`d constantly be changing the prices of our products from the US and South America.