Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Stone beers in Ontario

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

BC just got the Smoked Porter, Double Bastard and Enjoy By 2/14/15.

We barely got it in time... I doubt the enjoy by labels and LCBO testing would work in Ontario.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Cass wrote:IPA and Arrogant Bastard $6.50 for 16oz pour at Indie Alehouse.
Very reasonable!

TCB

Post by TCB »

Great value for the consumer at that price.

A keg at that price will ordinarily generate a consumer cost of about $10 for a 16 oz pour using standard industry markup.

Seems odd that the bar would choose to absorb about $450 per keg in margin.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Well (as I suggested above) a definite loss leader. Particularly effective in a brewpub (tied house) where, presumably, the margins on the house beers are quite substantial. Can't see it as sustainable long term though.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

TCB wrote:
Great value for the consumer at that price.

A keg at that price will ordinarily generate a consumer cost of about $10 for a 16 oz pour using standard industry markup.

Seems odd that the bar would choose to absorb about $450 per keg in margin.
Is standard markup really a thing? Seems like that varies all over town. What number are you using to get $10?

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

A very good price considering the cost of the keg. The IPA is $7.30 per 16oz pour at Bier Markt, which is still reasonable IMO.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

For those of you out by the eastern parts of the GTA, Buster Rhinos just tweeted that they have Arrogant Bastard at 12oz for $5.50.

https://twitter.com/BusterRhinosBBQ/sta ... 5915375617
http://instagram.com/p/zDJbMtlsB2/
lister

Coronaeus

Post by Coronaeus »

Had the IPA at Louis Cifer on the week-end. I think it was $9 for a 16oz pour. Price aside, I thought the beer was great. I was with 3 friends who are just getting into beer, and each of them preferred the Red Racer, but still enjoyed the Stone. Perhaps a little too bitter for their recently de-virginized tongues.

saints_gambit
Bar Fly

Post by saints_gambit »

I hate to say it guys, but it's just two more massively hop forward beers. Two months from now, it's going to be super hard to move an 11 dollar pint of Stone.
saintjohnswort.ca

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

saints_gambit wrote:I hate to say it guys, but it's just two more massively hop forward beers. Two months from now, it's going to be super hard to move an 11 dollar pint of Stone.
What would be a comparable local beer available around here to Arrogant Bastard?

The IPA I'm not excited about, it's nto a favourite and we have plenty of options...but I really love the bastard beers and can't think of a nice local alternative.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I am really rooting for these two brews, but our Loonie's dependence on shaky oil prices may fuck with the whole plan.

OK Stone, if you can build a brewery in Berlin then why not Quebec or Ontario?
In Beerum Veritas

Kel Varnsen
Bar Fly

Post by Kel Varnsen »

Belgian wrote:I am really rooting for these two brews, but our Loonie's dependence on shaky oil prices may fuck with the whole plan.

OK Stone, if you can build a brewery in Berlin then why not Quebec or Ontario?
I am no expert on international trade, but my understanding is that producing beer in Berlin, means you could distribute to all of the EU relatively easily. Compare that to Canada and the fact that if you have a brewery in Ontario, there is a crazy amount of regulatory hoops you have to jump through just to get your beer in another province.

saints_gambit
Bar Fly

Post by saints_gambit »

El Pinguino wrote:
saints_gambit wrote:I hate to say it guys, but it's just two more massively hop forward beers. Two months from now, it's going to be super hard to move an 11 dollar pint of Stone.
What would be a comparable local beer available around here to Arrogant Bastard?

The IPA I'm not excited about, it's nto a favourite and we have plenty of options...but I really love the bastard beers and can't think of a nice local alternative.
There aren't any anymore. We literally moved past being influenced by Arrogant Bastard at some point about six years ago.
saintjohnswort.ca

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

saints_gambit wrote: I hate to say it guys, but it's just two more massively hop forward beers.
I don't agree with this statement at all. The IPA is better than most Ontario examples and on par with our very best local IPAs (Karma, Thrust, Lake Effect, Headstock, etc). And as El Pinguino pointed out, there's no Ontario-brewed U.S.-style Strong Ale that's comparable to Arrogant Bastard. So they're offering an IPA that's superior to 99% of our local renditions, on the one hand, and a unique and revered beer with virtually no Ontario equivalent, on the other.

In Oregon, Stone IPA and AB are indeed "just two more" beers in a crowded, world class beer scene. In Ontario, it's a big deal to have them here.

Admittedly price may become an issue at some point, but so far we're seeing 16oz pours being sold in the $5.50-$9.00 range (depending on where you live).
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

saints_gambit
Bar Fly

Post by saints_gambit »

cratez wrote:
saints_gambit wrote: I hate to say it guys, but it's just two more massively hop forward beers.
I don't agree with this statement at all. The IPA is better than most Ontario examples and on par with our very best local IPAs (Karma, Thrust, Lake Effect, Headstock, etc). And as El Pinguino pointed out, there's no Ontario-brewed U.S.-style Strong Ale that's comparable to Arrogant Bastard. So they're offering an IPA that's superior to 99% of our local renditions, on the one hand, and a unique and revered beer with virtually no Ontario equivalent, on the other.

In Oregon, Stone IPA and AB are indeed "just two more" beers in a crowded, world class beer scene. In Ontario, it's a big deal to have them here.

Admittedly price may become an issue at some point, but so far we're seeing 16oz pours being sold in the $5.50-$9.00 range (depending on where you live).
Alright. Check in in two months.
saintjohnswort.ca