Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Stone beers in Ontario

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

saints_gambit
Bar Fly

Post by saints_gambit »

Tapsucker wrote:They had Arrogant Bastard at the Wallace yesterday for $7.50 a pint. They were out of IPA, but they did have Sierra Nevada on tap too.
The Wallace is massively underrated. Fridays they do Mad Tom for five bucks alongside a malaysian fish curry. Does Mad Tom stack up to the Stone IPA? Probably not quite, but... five bucks.
saintjohnswort.ca

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Tapsucker wrote:They had Arrogant Bastard at the Wallace yesterday for $7.50 a pint. They were out of IPA, but they did have Sierra Nevada on tap too.
Thanks for the heads up. I was going to head there, actually, but couldn't find anything on their web site or Twitter feed showing they had Stone (or SN). I'm not a huge fan of their regular lineup, though I've always liked the ambience and food.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

saints_gambit wrote:
The Wallace is massively underrated. Fridays they do Mad Tom for five bucks alongside a malaysian fish curry. Does Mad Tom stack up to the Stone IPA? Probably not quite, but... five bucks.
Some of the others I was with went for the Mad Tom while I paid the Stone tax. Novelty. 8)

I also like that after changing hands and brands a couple times, the washroom has been cleaned up. Though I do miss that weird cinnamon smell it used to have.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

midlife crisis wrote:
Thanks for the heads up. I was going to head there, actually, but couldn't find anything on their web site or Twitter feed showing they had Stone (or SN). I'm not a huge fan of their regular lineup, though I've always liked the ambience and food.
They really skew import, but towards the more adventurous end. I heard a comment that the Delirium on tap was considered incredibly fresh. I didn't go for it, but it does seem to be a sign of some care.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Tapsucker wrote:
midlife crisis wrote:
They really skew import, but towards the more adventurous end. I heard a comment that the Delirium on tap was considered incredibly fresh. I didn't go for it, but it does seem to be a sign of some care.
Yes, agreed. If they would just put in, say, three equally adventurous Ontario taps I would be there a lot more.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

And they're changing Ruination... again...
http://blog.stonebrewing.com/index.php/ ... ation-ipa/

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

they also just launched a stone pale ale 2.0

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

saints_gambit wrote:[The Wallace is massively underrated. Fridays they do Mad Tom for five bucks alongside a malaysian fish curry. Does Mad Tom stack up to the Stone IPA? Probably not quite, but... five bucks.
On a good day it's damn close. Actually Mad Tom ages very nicely at fridge temperature, I'd say improves rather than fade or disintegrate. An excellent Fridge Pale Ale if you will (one to reliably keep a few on hand.)

I will check out the Wallace. Some days I really love this city.
In Beerum Veritas

mahcinesquad

Post by mahcinesquad »

Derek wrote:And they're changing Ruination... again...
Interesting. I picked some up last week and honestly, it didn't impress me the way it first did years ago. Maybe everything else has just gotten better in comparison.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

mahcinesquad wrote:
Interesting. I picked some up last week and honestly, it didn't impress me the way it first did years ago. Maybe everything else has just gotten better in comparison.
The original was great, with lots of centennial flavour, but absolutely not a palate bruiser by today's standards. They did a slight refresh with different hops and made it stronger, but yeah, it really wasn't great.

Their enjoy by is truly great, so I'm looking forward to a new DIPA.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Derek wrote:
mahcinesquad wrote:
The original was great, with lots of centennial flavour, but absolutely not a palate bruiser by today's standards. They did a slight refresh with different hops and made it stronger, but yeah, it really wasn't great.

Their enjoy by is truly great, so I'm looking forward to a new DIPA.
I was unwowed by Enjoy By, on tap in Buffalo. But as always two or three strikes allowed.

The Ruination rhetoric (changing it, Stone's justifications) seems silly, I'd be just as happy if they made Ruination less frequently when hops supply allows to do it correctly and kept it the same but whatevah. We'll see what the DIPA v.2 is like when available and can all bandwagon on hating it then (as is fashionable in the suspicion of faulty changes, correct? ;) )

I am generally impressed with how artistically Stone uses hops, rather than how loudly they use them in some frat-boyish IBU-counting sense. I believe this refinement of flavor over intensity shows Stone's maturity as brewers.
In Beerum Veritas

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Mitch Steele's book is a good read:
http://www.brewerspublications.com/book ... -pale-ale/

_sloth

Post by _sloth »

I saw Buster Rhinos and The Wallace mentioned in this thread for having Stone on tap. Not sure if that meant regularly though. Anyone in the GTA noticing places that regularly have Stone or any other american craft on tap? When I visit Toronto, the bars I frequent for draught it's typically Ontario or European.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

_sloth wrote:I saw Buster Rhinos and The Wallace mentioned in this thread for having Stone on tap. Not sure if that meant regularly though. Anyone in the GTA noticing places that regularly have Stone or any other american craft on tap? When I visit Toronto, the bars I frequent for draught it's typically Ontario or European.
At the Wallace it's not on their printed list, just the chalkboard, so that would indicate to me it would not be permanent.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.

saints_gambit
Bar Fly

Post by saints_gambit »

I believe that they're keeping the IPA but not the Arrogant Bastard. Somewhat like I predicted earlier, there was a brief flurry of interest on that one and then it dropped off. It's a midtown crowd and Arrogant Bastard isn't a great fit for a gastropub.

Edit: They will apparently be getting Sierra Nevada Torpedo at some point very soon. That oughta be good.
saintjohnswort.ca